Whole Wheat and Oat Sourdough Bread

What makes a good bread? I guess the answer to this question depends a lot  on where you live and what you grew up with. Personally I think it is important that bread keeps fresh for at least 3-4 days, possibly longer. I need a bread that I can eat for breakfast and dinner, which I can top with jam or a hearty spread, which I can dip into a soup or even eat all by itself. It should have a firm texture with only small holes in the crumb, a firm crust and it needs to me moist.

I learned that to make such a bread at home several things are important:

It should be made of whole wheat flour or a mixture of whole wheat and dark rye.

For extra moisture the addition of soaked wheat berries, cracked wheat, rye chops, or steel cut oats is important.

To keep it fresh, it should be leavened  with sourdough. For a nice crust, the oven has to be very hot.

The result is a moist bread with a strong and wonderfully complex taste.

This bread requires some preparation on the day before. Also, the recipe comes in metric measurements only. They are much more exact than cup measurements, which is important for bread baking. Yeah, I am a bread baking snob.

Whole Wheat Oat Sourdough Bread (makes 2 loafes)

150 g steel cut oats
450 ml water (divided)
550 g whole wheat flour (divided)
100 g 100 % hydration sourdough starter* (made from all purpose flour)
20 g fresh yeast (or 7 g active dry yeast)
1 T molasses
2 1/2 t salt

* consisting of equal amounts of flour and water by weight.

12 hours before you want to bake your bread (or over night) put the oats into a bowl and soak  in 150 ml water. Cover with a plate or some foil and let sit at room temperature.

At the same time stir together 400 g flour, all of the starter, and 250 ml water. The result will be a rather stiff dough. Cover the mixture with a plate or some foil and keep at room temperature.

On the next day the oats should have absorbed all water and the sourdough mixture should have more than doubled in size. In a large bowl combine sourdough mixture and oat mixture. With a wooden spoon stir to combine.

Crumble in yeast, add remaining flour (150 g), remaining water (50 ml), molasses, and salt. Knead the dough for 10 minutes and let rise covered for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 460°F.

Grease two loaf pans and set aside.  Transfer the dough to a floured working surface and divide into two equal parts. Shape into loafes and transfer to pans. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise for another hour. Bake at 460°F for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350°C and bake for 40 more minutes.

Note: if it gets too dark, reduce the heat earlier.

Remove from pans and let cool on a rack. Let cool completely before slicing.

Note: Whole spelt flour instead of the whole wheat works also great. If you don’t have steel cut oats, use pearl barley instead.

This bread is my contribution to the next yeastspotting.

That bread looks bakery made. How good that looks!

Homemade bread is the absolute best! Would love to slather some fig spread on that, but I think I’ll have to wait until after passover. :)

This bread looks amazing ! I have been experimenting with oats in my bread but have yet to try it with sourdough bread, I must try this one:-)

Oh wow! What an amazing sounding and looking bread! I have to make this (only thing is I threw out my sourdough starter because I was too lazy to keep looking after it :( ). Maybe I’ll try the yeasted version you posted above instead though :D

Sourdough rocks! Nice loaf!

I know exactly what makes a good bread….. you do!!

Being a bread baking snob is a good thing! :D

Your breads always look like they belong in the fanciest bakery. This one is no exception!

Too bad I can’t enter to win your care package, Mr. Wing-it and I will be traveling for about three months and won’t be home to receive the goodies if I win! :(

Shure you can enter, I can send the package later if you win!

awesome! I still don’t dare baking with sourdough… plus I’m German and I don’t like bread. I wonder if that’s going to change once I move abroad.

I don’t think that you don’t like bread because you are German. Usually it’s the other way around. Look at me. :D Or do you mean you might miss bread once you moved?

What a gorgeous loaf of bread. Your food always looks so good!

i was super excited to make this for dinner tonight (we’re having pasta)…. but i don’t have a starter. shucks!

Miss V, no worries it’s still possible. You can convert the recipe into a yeast bread.
      I would suggest to start by skipping the over-night steps and soaking the oats in hot water. When they have cooled down, subsititute 50 g of flour and 50 g of water for the starter. Mix in all the other ingedients and maybe 1 1/2 the amount of yeast the original recipe calls for. Let rise for two hours, shape into loaves, let rise for one more hour, bake.
      Maybe you will have to adjust the flour/water content a bit, but in general most sourdough recipes can be converted to yeast breads. I usually do it the other way round.

I like your tips on making loaves that stay fresh. That is always my biggest complaint about bread, it is amazing in the first few hours after baking, but then it loses something. This loaf looks fantastic.

• It looks great. I’ve really enjoyed baking with my sourdough… and it does help keep the bread longer It think.

Your bread looks wonderful. And thanks for the tip about the oats; have to try that!

Your baking skills are so impressive! This looks just perfect.

perfection in bready form! yummy!

My friend Stephanie started baking fresh bread twice a week. Now I wanna bake more bread! This post serves as inspiration.

That bread looks perfect! I always need a good heft to my bread, something to chew on. Light and airy bread is great, but I love the darker, wheatyier ones like you.

This definitely sounds like my kind of loaf! I love bread that has a lot of texture and flavor, and this sounds like it would easily fit the bill. :)

WOW! Yummy! :D Come make bread for me!

That bread looks delicious!! So hearty!!

• Hello Veggie

This looks delicious! I agree w/your requirements for good bread. =)

• […] Whole Wheat and Oat Sourdough Bread […]

• I love how you can do your posts in two languages. Someday I’d like to be able to do the same with Spanish… but if I did that right now, it’d sound like a first-grader!

GOTTA GET ME SOME SOURDOUGH STARTER!! This looks like the kind of bread I’d love. And you used steel-cut oats! I’m drooling.

Oh this looks amazing! I think you’re totally right to be a bread snob, because good bread is an important thing! Now, can we win a bread care package, too?

i have never attempted any type of sourdough, but i bet that bread is delicious!

it doesn’t look dry, at all! lovely, C.