Easy, fast, delicious: Rote Grütze

There’s work on my desk. Lots of it. Therefore I won’t be able to comment on all your awesome blog entries and therefore my entries on this blog are going to be a little bit shorter than usual. And I’m skipping the German entries for a while. I hope you’ll bear with me. And forgive me? If I give you berries?

This blog entry is dedicated to someone who misses Rote Grütze terribly. And her request came the day before yesterday, when I had tons of cherries around and didn’t know what to do with them. We foodbloggers can read minds!

Rote Grütze (= red grits or groats), or Rode Grött, as my grandmother would say in our dialect, is a red berry compote which is a famous Northern German and Scandianvian dessert. (Norwegians call it rødgrøt, the Danish call it the same, but write it rødgrød and pronounce it totally different. About the Swedish people I don’t know.)

The main ingredients of Rote Grütze are red berries like red currants, raspberries, strawberries, sour or sweet cherries. In my opinion it doesn’t matter what kind of berry you use, but it has to be red.  Black currants and blackberries are okay, too. (Don’t ask me why.) And what about cranberries for a local touch?

You can also make Gelbe Grütze = yellow Grütze from yellow fruit and Grüne Grütze = green Grütze from green fruit.

There is an original version somewhere out there which is made from fruit and sago pearls (similar to tapioca pearls), but I have to admit that I grew up on a version made from  berries, sugar, and cornstarch. And it came from the store. And it was Danish. In this version only the ingredients come from the store (and the cherries from a friend, who is not Danish).

Rote Grütze (serves 4)

600 g (21.2 oz or 1 1/3 pound) mixed berries ( I used 1/3 red gooseberries, 1/3 red currants, 1/3 sweet cherries)
4 T sugar
3 1/2 T cornstarch
3 T cold water

Wash your berries, pit the cherries, de-stem red currants and gooseberries, half gooseberries and cherries. Place berries in a saucepan and stir in sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes until the currants start to break down. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until dissolved. Pour into berry mixture and cook for 3 more minutes until thickened. Let cool completely and chill for approx 2 hours before serving.

Serving: Traditionally this is served with a thick vanilla sauce (pictured) or whipped cream, but I can see it on waffles, ice cream, brownies, as a pie filling, in yoghurt and of course all by itself. Enjoy the summer!

© seitanismymotor 2009

• […] Rote Grutze is basically a red berry compote which is a famous Northern German and Scandianvian dessert […]

• Judy Lurie

Just got back from Hamburg, Germany, and was dying to make Rote Gruetze ! Thank you ! Vielen Dank.

• Chris

My Oma was from Schleswig-Holstein and made Rote Gruetze all the time. My dad (ein Berliner) picked up the tradition and now it has passed on to me to carry on this wonderful traditional dish for my family. Since we are now into our second generation of Americans, my kids have changed the name (becasue they have a hard time saying it) and now we eat “German Jello” for summertime desert.

Hi Chris! I like German Jello and I’m glad your family still enjoys this wonderful dessert.

• […] how it went down: 7pm, Amanda is browsing the web, specifically looking at Mihl’s awesome Rote Grütze recipe and wondering if she can make it with red grapes. H is doing some Java programming thingey on his […]

• […] Rote grutze (thanks Mihl!) Now, where to find currants? Maybe cranberries would work? […]

I had this in Berlin at my boyfriend’s parents house. He made a face when they brought it out, but I thought it was quite good- a bit like melted ice cream sundays!

ps. I hope your workflow doesn’t completey keep you out of the kitchen (even if you don’t have time to post).

wow, those berry photos and the dessert photos are stunningly beautiful.

This looks wonderful!! I can’t wait to try it :)

• tofuparty

well, we know now what to do when we have to much red berries. Looks delicious. I think I will try it with ice cream.

My mouth is literally watering! And DH has been planning on picking some berries from our allotment… I think I know what we’ll be making!

i’ve never had rote grütze before, Mihl – it looks so amazing and so pretty! totally gonna have to try this out! i love that it’s gluten-free, too! even better! i can see this enjoyed over some buckwheat pancakes now. mmmmmmmmmm!

i’ve never had rote grütze before, Mihl – it looks so amazing and so pretty! totally gonna have to try this out! i love that it’s gluten-free, too! ever better! wahoooooooooo!

• jrsimon56

That is gorgeous!

sounds perfect for this hot weather we’re having. yum.

that sounds delicious on pancakes or waffles – great suggestion!

Good luck with all the work – I know what you mean…I’m so behind on commenting on my favourite blogs!
    This sounds so nummy – made my mouth water.

Sigh, such gorgeous, jewel-like berries! It’s so hard to find fresh currant and gooseberries around here… It’s a real shame.

• Sünne

Looks good! I’m from Northern Germany and my grandma and my mum make rote Grütze with berries from their gardens very often in summer.

Ooh, that looks good!

This is “kiisseli” in Finnish, although water is usually added even for the thicker version. Finnish strawberries are starting to ripen now, and your post made me crave for some strawberry kiisseli! =)

Sorry I forgot about the Finnish! I’ve also seen versions around with added water, fruit juice, or even wine. I can imagine that an all strawberry version of this will taste excellent.

This just might induce me to buy some local cherries next time I go to the market. It looks so delicious and simple. Do you think arrowroot would work just as well as the cornstarch?

Yes, I think you can use any kind of thickener. Arrowroot, potato starch, or tapioca, they all work great here.

Those berries are stunning! And it sounds like the perfect addition to anything.

So summery and gorgeous!

that looks amazing. i want some right now. with some vanilla ice cream!

What a wonderful looking dessert — so refreshing for summer! The photos are beautiful!

the vanilla cream/sauce is making me dreamy. it must go so well with the compote!

All the photos are beauties, especially the first. And the dessert sounds so refreshing. I even have gooseberries growing in the yard.

• first-time commenter :)

Delurking to say that this would probably be called bärkräm (berry crème) or bärsoppa (berry soup) in Swedish, depending on the consistency (kräm being thicker). Thanks for a wonderful blog!

Thanks for visiting and the explantation. I love Swedish. Bärsoppa sounds awesome but bärkräm must be the right word then.

• That last picture is gorgeous!

YUMMMMM! I’m so glad I bought cherries last night! :D

Told you about reading minds :)