Sesame Bread

I made a fantastic loaf of bread which came out with such a wonderful texture and an amazing taste that I have to share it here. It is very easy to make although the shaping is a bit unusual. The result will look a bit like a huge cinnamon bun.

Sesame Bread (makes 2 loaves)

100 g Six-Grain Blend, ground into fine flour (includes wheat, rye, spelt, millet, oats, barley)*
100 g semolina flour
235 g all purpose flour
65 g whole wheat flour
350 ml water
10 g salt
10g fresh yeast (if you want to use active dry yeast, use 3 g)
sesame seeds for sprinkling

* I have a grain mill and I make my own flour. You can use whatever flour mix you like here, or simply use 100 g of whole wheat, bread, or spelt flour.

In a bowl, mix all ingredients.  Knead (with your hands and on a working surface or with a food processor) for 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and not sticky anymore. Adjust the amount of flour or water, if neccessary.

Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise for one hour or until doubled in size.

Carefully transfer your dough to a floured working surface.  Divide into halves. Pat and stretch one half (also very carefully) into a rectangle (7 x 11 inch). Brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Start with the long side and fold the dough into thirds like a letter: fold the top third of dough up to the centre and carefully press to seal it. Now fold the bottom third over the top third and turn the dough seam side down. Your bread dough should now resemble a baguette in shape.  Roll the dough out until it is approx 18 inches long.  The ends should be thinner than the centre:

Roll the dough up and tuck the ends underneath. Shape the second loaf in the same way.

Carefully brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds:

Preheat oven to 200 °C (400°F) and transfer both loaves to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled in size (it took my bread 45 minutes). Transfer to oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before slicing.

This bread was submitted to Susan’s yeastspotting.

• […] this post? I swapped that chocolate with Jojo and Hannah and this is what they sent […]

• tofuparty

I can really slap myself that I’m reading this now. After returning from Germany. I would have looked out for the zotter chocolates. But who knows, maybe I find them in Belgium too.

I love Zotter chocolates! they are also available in Greece!! I also have done 2 reviews on my blog in the yummy products page, if you want to check it out! The matcha choco is divine and the soymilk chocolates tastes better than dairy chocolate! They also sell it in big fat bars as baking soymilk chocolate!

• […] the chocolate spread I talked about in one of my last posts? Well, I found some good use for it beside spreading it on bread. It makes a great ice cream […]

salty chocolate? what a combination! I used to love nutella, so this sounds like a great find.

That bread looks so wonderful! And I just bought a grain mill so that I can start grinding my own flour. If you have any suggestions about that, I would love to hear them!

Yes! That bread looks so freaking fantastic!

• Mimi

I love the shape of your loaves. Such a pretty swirl!

• […] Sesame Bread […]

• What a beautiful rustic, professional looking bread. The airy bubbles are perfect.

The bread looks wonderful — interesting shaping there! And the chocolate is beautiful too.

That is some gorgeous and yummy looking bread!

Oh my, it looks divine… and I so love sesame things<3

Your bread always looks amazing! Ooh, goulash! My husband loves it.

I can’t decide which is prettier, the swirly bread or the chocolate wrappers! I love the multigrain sesame idea!

Thank you! They definitely were…in more ways than one (aka spicy hot hot heat from the chili sauce) ;)

That is the most artistic looking chocolate bar wrapper I’ve ever seen. I want some of that cacao sampaka. It would be kind of like Nutella…sans hazelnuts. MmmMmm.

hooray for chocolate and sesame bread, Mihl! your bread looks beauuuuuutiful! you’re too good! i’ve never had salt in chocolate before either – it sounds so good. i might have to visit our local chocolate store once we get back from the beach – fingers crossed that they have some with salt that we can enjoy, too! mmmmmmmmmmm!

i totally love anything with sesame seeds – sesame bread is no exception. awesome! and i can’t wait for the goulash recipe!

You mean there’s something wrong with living off bread and chocolate?? ;) The bars look fantastic!

Bread and chocolate belong together!

You definitely got the combination right!

Those chocolate bars look delicious, I’ll have to keep an eye out for them next time I’m in Europe.

Those bars might even be available in England. See Vijita’s comment above.

That looks like such a fun way to bake bread, and the texture looks beautiful. But the chocolates – boy they look yummy! About the cinnamon flavor, I was thinking it might come from the cocoa beans. Some can be a little spicy, like the ones from Mexico.

• a-k

Your bread looks so awesome! Well, it always does, actually. I’m always reminded how much I should bake my own!

No. Way. I will trade you [just about] anything I have access to for one of the matcha chocolate bars. Seriously, name your price..!

I totally forgot about your love for matcha.

• fortheloveofguava

Wow… just broke my heart…

waiting for the days when I’m a good enough baker to live off of bread and chocolate… :)

you really can’t survive off that stuff alone? :) hehee….

Oh wow, that bread looks amazing. I will definitely have to try it soon. Plus, I can’t believe that I missed that chocolate shop in Berlin since I always seem to be in areas in sight of the Fernsehturm!

I tried those chocolate bars in England and seriously, I think it was the most amazing chocolate I have ever had the pleasure of devouring! That green tea one was so unique!

• kitchenspoon

chocolate + bread. Just look at your bread—and your incredible chocolate bars–will you pass the plate over this way, please?

Just looking at the texture of your bread makes me hungry. I may have to get some dough started this morning.

say what? you don’t live off chocolate and bread? du bist verrueckt!

Speaking of bread and chocolate – I thought of you when I saw this (**read the 7th description**):

Wow, they are definitely one step ahead!

• Nicole

Nothin’ wrong with a little (or a lot) of bread and chocolate!

That bread looks awesome. This post makes me wish I hadn’t finished my jar of chocoreale!

And what’s wrong with bread and chocolate? Apart from stopping me losing weight, that is? This sounds like a very interesting bread. We have a chocolate spread here called Chocoreale, which is like Nutella, but vegan and no nuts. But it mixes well with peanut butter…

We have the chocoreale spread, too! Next time I’m definitely gonna mix it with peanut butter and some sea salt. :)