Chocolate Peanut Brittle Ice Cream

Remember the chocolate spread I talked about in one of my last posts? Well, I found some good use for it beside spreading it on bread. It makes a great ice cream ingredient! This ice cream recipe requires two or three ingredients which you might not have on hand but I also added suggestions for what you might use instead.

Chocolate Peanut Brittle Ice Cream

1 2/3 cups soymilk, divided
1/3 cup soy cream (or full fat coconut milk)
4 T cornstarch
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
1 T vanilla sugar (or 1 t extract)
2 T Dutch processed cocoa powder
85 g (1/4 cup) chocolate spread*
60 g (1/3 cup) peanut brittle**, coarsely ground in your mortar and pestle (a food processor works to, but be careful, you don’t want flour)

*or use 85 g  (3 oz) semisweet melted chocolate.

In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup soymilk with cornstarch and whisk until dissolved. Set aside. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 1/3 cups soy milk with soy creamer. Add sugar and bring to a boil until dissolved (medium heat). Add cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate spread. Now stir in cocoa powder and whisk until no lumps remain. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for 6-8 hours or over night. Freeze in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions. If you don’t have an ice cream machine, you can use this method. As soon as your ice cream is finished stir in peanut brittle and transfer to freezer. Let freeze 3-4 hours before using. Serving this ice cream with roasted and salted peanuts on top makes it extra delicious. (Remember the spread had also salt?)

**This is the peanut brittle I use (I hope brittle is the right translation):

It is crumbly and crunchy, has more peanuts than sugar coating and is easy to break apart. It comes in a bar and these bars are easy to find here in Germany. If you have something else on hand or want to use different nut brittle that is fine, too. Coursly ground salted and roasted nuts would work as well.

A word about thickeners: As some of you might remember I used a tiny amount of guar gum in some ice cream recipes before. I don’t do that any longer. I’ve also made some ice cream with arrowroot. I also don’t do that any longer. The thickener of my choice is cornstarch. I use more than recipes would usually call for. In my personal experience this is the best way to get an ice cream that won’t behave like an ice block. Even after a couple of days it is scoopable right out of the freezer. Of course I am not a trained chef  and can only speak from my experience. If you want to use other thickeners, you can of course use them to find out what works best for you. Happy ice cream making.

wow, a perfect combo!

• […] my next endeavor, I tried a recipe from seitan is my motor called Chocolate Peanut Brittle Ice Cream. WOW! This I did properly, and was greatly rewarded. After mixing the ingredients, this was like a […]

looks amazing! and i love mr tom!!

Yum! How funny..we picked up a couple of Mr. Toms on our last trip..but they are long gone =( !!
    But yes, brittle is the right word and I’ll just have to locate some local stuff and give this a try!

Oh wow. This has to be the best ice cream recipe EVER!!!

This ice cream looks sensational! Chocolate and peanuts are the best combination.

That looks so lovely! I use arrowroot, but have been thinking about trying cornstartch – I feel empowered!

yesh, pleaje. it’s so hot here and I just came back from a sweaty bike ride and…I need this.

Oh my goodness, that ice cream looks like perfection! Sweet, salty, peanuty, chocolatey–there’ s nothing I don’t love in it!

I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. To combine them in icecream is sheer genius!!! Like Angela, I was going to complain about not having an ice cream maker, but now, like Sal, I just need room in my freezer… I so hope I’ll be able to try this soon!

Wow, that looks really luscious. I love peanut brittle but haven’t had it in ages because it hurt my sad little weak teeth- this ice cream might be just the solution!

• fortheloveofguava

huh… cornstarch eh? Maybe that’s what’s missing in my ice cream….

Wow that looks amazing. I love peanut brittle. And chocolate.

That sounds amazing. I wish I had room in my freezer for the bowl of my ice cream maker!

Thanks for the tip about the cornstarch, i’ve used arrowroot in the past and you’re right it does turn into a solid brick after a few hours!

Hi Mihl, that looks absolutely amazing. A beautiful summer treat.
    BTW, it’s award-sharing time in the food blog world and I’ve got one for you– do take a look :)

Uh, I was about to complain about not having an ice-cream maker, but now I can’t! I must try this!

• veganhomemade

This sounds amazingly delicious! I love me some peanut brittle.

Peanut brittle ice cream!? That sounds so amazing.

Oh yum, do that ever sound amazing!

And speaking of amazing, your chocolate bars came today! Thank you so so so much, I could barely resist tearing them open right then and there! I’ll try to take photos before devouring them both, but it may be very difficult to restrain myself…

What an incredible combination! Ah, I miss peanut butter! And peanut brittle is the exact translation–looks yummy, too.

YUMMMMM! That looks so amazing!

you just made me a very happy girl! chocolate & peanut butter…I just got weak in the knees!

whoa, yum! this sounds like it would be amazing made into ice cream sandwiches, too.

numers!

I’d love a scoop (or three) of that!! :-)

• Taymer

In my last two icecreams I used arrowroot but it is so expensive even if its made in some caribbean islands. Now cornstarch I have and it is cheap.I will start to use cornstarch now and see how it goes!I am curious about tapioca too.How sensitive is the cornstarch to heat? Right now the chocolate ice creami made is behaving like an iceblock but when thaw it down it is ok. Thanks for the tips.

Cornstarch is not sensitive to heat and that is the main reason why I use it. Tapioca should be fine too. It’s hard to get here, but I’ve also use it sometimes and with good results.

I’m about to embark on my first ever vegan ice-cream making experience so thank you for the tips – I will keep them in mind when planning my recipe.

That photo is so mouthwatering! I can just taste it melting in my mouth. Thanks for the recipe!

• dusty

Aaah, Mr. Tom! I didn’t realize how much I miss that here in Norway until I read your posting.

Btw: great blog! I’m lurking now for quite a while and I’m always happy finding some veganized german recipes. I need do make the Donauwelle someday! I’m quite sure it is even better than my mom’s. (Won’t tell her though… ;-))

For now I need to find a recipe for Peanut brittle. Thanks for this yummie ice-cream recipe!

Oh, @thickeners: have you ever tried locust bean gum? I always use that instead of arrowroot which I can’t get here. Reading this blog entry, I’m gonna trie cornstarch for a change.

Thank you! I have never tried locust bean gum, but thank you for reminding me. I will definitely look into it.

• Arielle

Woah, making ice cream without a machine!! I didn’t know! You’re making me want to run to Alnatura and grab that bar! Maybe on my way to getting Zotter at Karstadt… :D