Last year people over at the PPK were crazy about the Dutch/Belgian cookie spread speculoos paste. I had the chance to try it when a very nice fellow PPKer brought a jar to our Berlin meetup. Since we can get the cookies but not the spread here in most parts of Germany, I tried to come up with my own. (I just lied. Anyone who lives in Germany can order it here. But I am too lazy to order it online as I can get those cookies almost everywhere.)  It tasted like the real thing but it didn’t really look like it. Last weekend I made another batch and I think I found the perfect recipe. It is absolutley amazing! It tastes exactly like speculoos cookies and is so creamy. It is hard to stop eating this amazing stuff.

Homemade Speculoos Spread

150 g speculoos*
1 T vanilla sugar (or regular sugar + 1/2 t vanilla extract)
50 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil**
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t canola oil

*These cookies are sold as “speculoos” or “caramel cookies”. They are Belgian. Similar cookies are the Dutch speculaas or the German Spekulatius. In the USA speculoos cookies are are sold by “Biscoff“. If you can’t find these cookies, start experimenting with spice cookies, gingersnaps, snickerdoodles, or maybe even oreos? Invent your own personal cookie spread.
** I made this spread using metric measurements. 50 g is a little bit less than 1/4 cup. The coconut oil should be refined not virgin. Refined coconut oil is tasteless.  If you think that your spread gets too oily/runny, try using meal from one or two additional cookies. But be careful, the spread will harden when cooled and it usually has the right consistency 30 minutes after you took it out of the fridge.

Grind the cookies into a fine meal, using your food processor.

Melt the coconut fat and let cool down until luke warm. Mix speculoos meal with the remaining ingredients (except canola oil)  and transfer to a bowl. Stir in fat and oil. Mix until well combined. That’s it.

This spread will harden when stored in the fridge. You should take it out at least 30 minutes before serving. If you don’t want this, try to experiment with the oils: use less coconut fat and more canola oil. Please don’t substitute the coconut oil. Using a different fat will affect the texture. You could try margarine, but you probably will have to adjust the amount of cookies you are using or you might want to add some soy milk.

• […] out Seitan is my Motor for a Speculoos Spread recipe as pictured above. Now since I don’t think I can find this spread here I am so happy […]

• […] some here but at 6.99 a jar it is a luxury treat. But what if I could make my own? Well I found a recipe here on the Seitan is my Motor blog. I can buy the cookies for about $3-$4 and most of the other […]

• […] speculoos spread is made quite often by me, especially now that speculoos cookies are popping up in Germany for the […]

• […] Original cookie butter (speculoos spread) is high in fat and made with speculoos cookies (similiar to shortbread mixed with gingersnaps) and butter.  So you can guess it’s not the healthiest choice.  But you probably could have garnered that just from the title.  So I  created my own version that was adapted from a recipe on a the vegan food blog seitan is my motor. […]

• […] Check out the German, vegan food blog Seitan is My Motor (awesome, right?)  for a base recipe: […]

• have cake, will travel |

[…] you too have a sheet of puff pastry wreaking havoc in your freezer along with a jar of homemade speculoos spread waiting for something good to happen to it, you could make this. Fellow vegan or baking-for-vegans […]

• Mike McGee

Speculoos cookies are the dutch windmill cookies that you can buy in any grocery. In Europe they are crispier, and more strongly flavored, than the ones we buy here. They are a nutmeg flavored cookie, not cinnamon flavored like everyone thinks they are.
    And yes, the spread is divine. I brought it back from France 2 years ago; alas, it’s long gone.

Speculoos are Belgian and traditionally spiced with cinnamon, a couple of other spices (nutmeg is one of them, but there’s also pepper, gloves, etc.) and cassonade (brown beet sugar or beet sugar syrup), which gives them the caramel flavour. Lotus speculoos cookies contain only cinnamon and no other spices. The Dutch cookies are called speculaas. They are similar but not the same.
      If windmill cookies are like Dutch speculaas, they sound like a really good substitute, thanks for the tip!

By coconut fat do you mean coconut oil? Or are you referring to coconut meat?

It’s coconut oil. Sorry for the confusion.

Speculoos Spread is sold in the U.S. as Biscoff Spread. It is available at Biscoff.com.

Hi Gary, there’s already a link up in the post which leads right to the Biscoff site. :)

• Sylvia

This looks delicious! I’m not able to get the cookies where I live, but can have them shipped. My husband’s mother suggested the spread to us and I figured I’d just make my own. This recipe looks fantastic! Thanks!
    -Sylvia

• […] on this homemade Speculoos Spread recipe, I used ANNAS cookies and switched up the canola oil for pure veg. […]

• Sünne

Aaaaah, my brother got me some Speculoos when he was in the Netherlands! Yum!!!

• have cake, will travel » Tripping over Speculoos

[…] back for sale on October 19th, from what Marco told me. And if you really have no luck finding it, Mihl brilliantly came up with a recipe to make her own. You’re pretty much covered, then. Covered […]

• Sina

I just tried the recipe but it didn’t come out creamy. There are greasy crumbles only … Should I add more coconut fat?

Yes, add some more melted oil if it’s too crumbly.

• Sina

When you say “coconut fat”, do you mean something like “Palmin” or rather coconut oil?

Something like palmin. You can find organic coconut fat, non-hydrogenated and looking similar to a Palmin packet, at any Reformhaus, the brand is Eden. You can also find coconut fat in most supermarkets. It comes in little packets (see my comment below).
      But you could also use coconut oil. Ich glaube, hier in Deutschland wird das gar nicht so unterschieden. Es wird alles bei Raumtemperatur fest. Ich habe mal Kokosöl für wenig Geld in einem Asialaden bekommen. Das war dann bei mir zu Hause auch fest. Es geht nur darum, dem Aufstrich Stabilität zu verleihen. Im Originalaufstrich wird Palmfett verwendet, wenn ich mich recht erinnere. Das wäre dann ja Palmin. Palmfett benutze ich aber nicht gerne.

• Sina

Dankeschön! Ich denke, ich probiere es jetzt mal mit Palmin, weil ich leider kein Bio-Kokosfett hier habe. Ich verwende Palmin auch nicht so gerne.

Mmm this looks so good! I have a jar of the spread (my brother lives in Holland and sent it to me…) but when it runs out I love the idea of making it with a different type of cookies. Thanks for the recipe!

• Jessica

Uhhh, this looks amazing! YUM.

• tofuparty

I’m glad you find a recipe so the rest of the world can eat speculoos spread too. For myself, I’m finding this spread all over, really all over in very big pots. I have been eating so much of it, that for now I’m a little bit tired of it.

I know what I’m making when I run out of the jars of spread I have!

Yum, yum, yum! This reminded me I still have a jar in my pantry, I can’t believe it’s lasted this time without being eaten :)

• Sina

Oooh, this spread looks so delish!
    Which stores did you find the cookies at? I live in Germany but have never been able to find them.

I buy them at Rewe. If you can’t find the cookies, you can send the company an email and they will help you locate a store.

• Sina

Thanks! I accidentially found them at another store and will make this spread once I find coconut fat (well, I live in the countryside …)

everyone knows that cookies are the 5th food group, but i’m still slobbering over that plum cake.

I remember you blogging about this before. I really want to try those cookies. I think I had something like them while I was in Germany a long time ago. cookielicious!

awesome!! you rule.

I have a jar of the spread i got online that I only eat now and then because it’s so expensive to ship it over.

Oh YUM!!! I have spekulaas in the cupboard right now which I think is the same thing! I know what I’m making as soon as I shake my current cold and have my tastebuds back!!! Delicious!

YOU DID IT!

p.s. I second Céline- please come to Vienna in October! I’d love to hang out with you again!

dudette! come to the Vienna meetup and bring some for my butt!

• Taymer

I think I should stay away from that idea. It is implanted in my mind now It really soundslike a great dessert. I guess u just eat it with a spoon like that or mixed with ice cream

That looks far too addicting to be good for me. But does it look good!

Nice! Another interesting recipe and it sounds divine.

Oh man. I can’t get speculoos here but I want to try with another cookie!

I remember the PPK speculoos craze! I’ve never seen the cookies around here, but I like the idea of using snickerdoodles! I might give that a try…I bet ginger Newman-Os would be tasty too.

I haven’t had a speculoos in about 10 years, but I still can tell that this spread must be delicious!

Oh no! This looks SO good! And SO fattening! Now I don’t know what to do! (I’ll buy some gingersnaps, though, just in case….)

Oooo…that sounds very interesting :) I never thought of grinding up cookies and making them into spreads/dips. Hmm. Sounds like a whole new sweet obsession!!

• miss alix

how can you go wrong with a spread made out of cookies?! looks so good.

i wonder if i can make a gluten-free version of your speculoos spread? it looks too delicious for me not to try! mmmmmmmmmmmm! now you’ve got me drooling! ahahahahahahahaaa!

WOW! This looks amazing! And so creative too, what a lovely idea. I want to eat it by the spoonful.

OMG!!! Looks so amazingly delicious. Wish we had vegan spekuloos readily available here!!

This sounds just lovely. I know better than to make it, because I would eat it all!

Holy crap, this sounds like heaven in a spread. I just need to find decent gingersnaps, since I’ve never seen actual speculoos state side. And until then, I’ll be dreaming of how amazing this must taste!