Zucchini Bread

One of our neighbours has a garden.  A huge garden. We didn’t know how huge it was until P. and I visited her there yesterday. It is a ten minute walk from our house and is an allotment garden. These gardens are pretty common in larger towns. Most people don’t have much space around the house where they actually live. In the former GDR the gardens were also used as a food supply. People who had such a garden had a much larger variety of fruits and vegetables to choose from than people who were dependent on going to the not always well stocked grocery stores.

But back to our neighbour. Her garden looked like vegan heaven to me. She has everything from apples to zucchini. We picked some beans,  chard, beets, a large pumpkin and she gave us tomatoes, two kinds of potatoes, a zucchini, some small peppers, and even flowers! We had to rent a car to get all the produce home. Here is what we got:

The chard from our neighbour’s garden is the best I have ever tasted, it is tender and mild with sweet and crispy stems. It is so unlike the chard I can usually get at the store with its dark green and tough leaves, which is overpriced and tastes a little bit soapy. I am also very exited about the beet greens. Where I live beets are usually sold without their greens. Red potatoes are also rare here. These days you can get them in some supermarkets, but white potatoes are the regulat kind.

Here it is all cleaned up. By the way, that pumpkin weighs 8,5 kg, that is almost 19 pounds!

Although I sometimes wish I had such a garden, I can also see how much work this is! You have to go there almost every day and take care of your plants. It is amazing that a single person can do this!

The zucchini you see in the pictures is small compared to the ones I got before. There was a little zucchini overpopulation in my kitchen. When I was browsing the web for new interesting recipes, I found a fantastic recipe for zucchini bread. It is a yeast bread with a tiny bit of sourdough and the recipe uses zucchini pulp instead of water. That way you can use up two small ore one big zucchini. I halved the recipe and adapted it a bit. The original version can be found here .

Zucchini bread (makes 2 small loaves)

400 g zucchini (3-3 1/2 cups)
1 T salt, divided
1 clove garlic
1  red chili pepper
1 T olive oil
300 g  (2 1/2 c) whole wheat flour
200 g (1 2/3 c) all purpose
1 t active dry yeast
90 g sourdough starter (made from equal amounts of ww flour and water, by weight)*
2 T wheat germ

* The starter is used for flavour only and not for leavening. You can leave it out altogether or add 1/3 cup additional flour and 1.5 oz additional water.

Chop the zucchini into bite size pieces. Transfer to food processor, add 1/2 T salt, garlic, chili, and oil. Process into a purée.  In a large bowl mix flours, yeast, remaining salt, wheat germ and sourdough, if using. (I never actually “activate” my yeast, but feel free to dissolve it in a T of water.) Stir well. Pour zucchini mixture into bowl. Knead until everything comes together. Add more flour or water if neccessary. Knead for ten minutes until the dough is smooth and not sticky any more. Cover with damp kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour our until doubled in size.

I decided to experiment a bit with the shape of my loaf, it didn’t exactly come out as I would have liked, but it looks still interesting. Feel free to form the dough into two regular round loaves.

Divide dough into two equal parts. Form them into baguettes. Flatten with your hands and twist a couple of times. Now roll the dough up and tuck ends under. Place on a baking sheet and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let rise for 45 minutes (peheat oven to 220°C/430°F while the bread rises). Bake for ten minutes, reduce heat to 200°C/400°F and bake for 20-25 more minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing.

• Vanessa

Oh i found the option to change language into german, but there are not all recipes :(

• Vanessa

Awww <3 i saw so many nice recipes in your blog… i'm very sad that my english is not so good yet, that i can understand it all. And i dont know how to work with the cup, every cup has a different size… so i like the german gramm :)

I wished your blog were german too :)

Have a nice evening, i will try some of your recipes soon, and use a translator for words which i cant understand. Thank you :)))

Hallo Vanessa, früher war dieser Blog ausschließlich auf Englisch. Und da ich alle neueren Einträge tatsächlich in zwei Sprachen schreibe und keine automatisierte Übersetzung benutze, ist es für mich einfach zu viel Arbeit, alle alten Einträge noch zu übersetzen. Alle Rezepte auf Deutsch findest Du in der deutschen Version des Rezepteverzeichnisses.Zu den Cups: Fast alle Rezepte haben entsprechende Grammangaben (wie auch dieses Zucchinibrot), die auch stimmen, da ich erst abwiege und dann nach Cups umrechne.

• tofuparty

I guess you have the best neighbour in the world. When I find one like that too, I’ll make your zucchini bread too. :-)

That sounds delicious. Very unique, I never had a yeasted zucchini bread before.

• […] coming from the zucchini-infused bread basket. When dear Mihl of Seitan Is My Motor blogged her Savory Zucchini Bread recipe, I couldn’t wait for our heat-wave to break – I just had to try […]

• […] not by conviction) devoured all that was left dipping Seitan Is My Motor’s fantastical Zucchini Bread in it (I’ll be blogging about it soon). As I’ve mentioned before, he is not a big fan […]

It is not super moist. It’s like regular whole wheat bread but keeps fresh a little longer. It’s very soft too.

haha, when you said zucchini bread I thought you were talking about a quick bread, this is way more interesting! Is it super moist? I want to try this baking with vegetables thing… maybe a beet bread!

How nice of your neighbor! All that produce looks great. I love beet greens too and most of the time wish beets came with MORE greens.

Nothing like home grown veggies. Love zucchini bread so thanks for a recipe of one with sourdough starter. I got my sourdough starter recipe a while back from Bryanna of the Vegan Feast Kitchen.

In the words of Wallace, “It’s a veritable vegetable paradise!” And that zuch bread looks absolutely amazing!!!

What a great neighbor. Interesting take on zucchini bread, never thought of a yeasted zucchini bread.

Wow, now that’s an incredible haul! Gorgeous produce, and what a fantastic use for that zucchini. I just made some zucchini bread myself, but sweet of course. I’ll have to post it asap, thanks for reminding me!

I’m in awe of people that grow all their own stuff too. I just about managed not to kill my tomato plant this year!

The bread looks awesome, I always buy loads of courgettes but don’t end up using them quickly enough as I never know what to do with them that disguises the flavour a bit (not a big lover of them). I like them in baked goods though.

What a great neighbor you have! That is a great array of veggies!! I also am on zucchini overload, and that bread is something I must try!

Oh WOW, all those veggies & that bread look divine!

That pumpkin is so exotic looking! And I’ve never seen yeasted zucchini bread before. I can’t wait to try it out!

• Good lord, that’s quite the harvest. I currently have 2 eggplants, 3 okra, and 2 lemon cucumbers growing. To make even one dish, I’ll have to comine them all together!

That produce is fabulous! I love when I get beet greens. Funny I don’t care for beets but I love the greens! And that pumpkin is wonderful.

I haven’t seen a savory zucchini bread in a long time, and a yeasted one at that! I would love to try this one.

What a perfect neighbor that is! The veggies look gorgeous–as does your zucchini bread.

Oh wow, that yeasted zucchini bread looks amazing! Too bad I don’t have any sourdough starter…

• fortheloveofguava

Mm… I love zucchini bread… but always do the sweet kind (read… chocolate chips…) hehe… this looks yummy though!

And your neighbor *GAH… jaw drops with jealously** what a bounty! We’ve been trying to decide whether or not to look into plots near our house too as we can only do so much above ground… that’s pretty motivating though!

Goodness me. I’m moving to the other side of your neighbour!!
    What an awesome haul. Those flowers are amazing too.
    GREAT recipe for Zucchini Bread – it looks delicious.

how awesome that you get to have some wonderful fresh produce. gardens rock!

the first time i made/tasted zucchini bread, i thought i would hate it. who knew it would be so sweet and savory at the same time.

Wow you really know a carb’s lover dream:)

lol

Hourrah! You KNOW I was waiting for this one! I so wish I had neighbours like yours!!! I grew up around huge gardens and neighbours with gardens & while I do like being a city-dweller, I miss gardens alot!

Fresh produce + freshly-baked goodies from Mihl = the best!! :-D

Woah that pumpkin’s massive! I’d love to have an allotment.

• Wow am I ever in awe of that pumpkin!

That sounds like an amazing garden!! That break looks delicious. :)

Those veggies look like heaven!!!