Goulash

Goulash was a meat dish my grandmother used to cook for us quite often. It was one of the few meat dishes I liked. Then I turned vegetarian and forgot about it. When I visited Hungary for the first time I learned that there was a difference between goulash and goulash. What we Germans use to call goulash (a thick stew with meat chunks in it) is actually called pörkölt in Hungary. Hungarian goulash on the other side, is a soup.

My grandmother also made pörkölt and called it goulash and I am following her tradition here. Another (maybe German, I don’t know) tradition is to serve this dish over pasta, usually fusilli pasta (called spirelli in German). In this case, I broke with the tradition and used whole wheat penne. (Oh, and should I mention that I broke with the whole meat dish tradition, too?)

My grandmother died nine years ago and I never asked her how she prepared her goulash.  So, with the help of internet search engines I tried to come up with my own recipe.

Because my Hungarian host mother used to make gombás pörkölt (mushroom pörkölt) for me I added some mushrooms, too. I really liked the result. This is a hearty and chewy stew that will satisfy you, if you are really hungry. It’s probably not the best meal for a hot day, but if you are having lots of rain like we do, you can sqeeze it in on a rainy and lazy Sunday.

This goulash requires some preparation (i.e you have to soak some TVP beforehand) but most of the work is inactive.

Goulash (serves four) ( adapted from this version)

2 cups texturized vegetable protein (use big chunks)
2 cups hot vegetable broth

1 t vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 green onions, chopped into small rings
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
200 g mushrooms (2 cups), sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
60 ml (1/4 cup) red wine (or vegetable broth)
1/4 l (1 cup) soaking liquid from TVP (see above)
3 T tomato paste
1 T vegan Worcestersauce
1 t smoked paprika
1 t Hungarian paprika
1 t dried thyme
1 T soy sauce
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
2 T soy creamer ( optional, adds a little bit of creaminess)

Heat a large pot over medium heat and fry onion and green onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add  peppers and mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir, and fry for 2-3 more minutes. Add soaked TVP chunks. Turn down the heat to medium-low.

Add the wine to your pot. Dissolve tomato paste in 1 cup of soaking liquid and add as well. Also add Worcestersauce, smoked and Hungarian paprika, thyme, and soy sauce. Stir well and add potato. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes. Add more cooking liquid if mixture seems to dry. (You are aiming at a thick stew with not too much liquid.) Right before serving stir in soy creamer if using and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over your favourite pasta. (Use short pasta only.)

Oh man, I bookmarked this to make for my husband. He’s going to love it!

I must give your recipe a try, it sounds like great comfort food seeing I am in the middle of Winter and want something warm and filling.

i haven’t had goulash since i was a little girl! thanks for reminding me this food existed!n :)

• Charlotte

Beautiful! I have actually never had goulash before… I will have to give this a try.

• veganhomemade

That looks and sounds so good! I’d be interested to try it with chunks of seitan instead, maybe. Saving the recipe!

• […] your TVP with hot water. I saw on the blog Seitan is My Motor she soaked her in a vegetable broth and that is fine too. Saute onions and  a mild chili peppers or […]

This is definitely a recipe to hang on to for the colder months- Looks so hearty and filling!

put a “had” between the haven’t and goulash. See how excited I was? hehe

oh my! goulash! I haven’t goulash since I was 11! You. Are. My. Hero. Period.

goulash! Worcestershire sauce! marry me, all over again?

Oh wow, yum, that looks delicious! I don’t know why but i hardly ever use TVP even though I really like it.

Definitely try the lemon caper sauce, it is very delicious.

I absolutely love goulash. I’ll have to try your recipe next time I make it. Yours looks tasty :)

• Taymer

I did not know you have to soak tvp chunks that long. The longest I soak it is for 5 mins.This looks very hearty and it is a hot dish so I love it:)

You don’t have to soak them that long. It’s just what I do. Of course a shorter soaking time will work. I just think they absorb more flavour that way. Another plus is that they are cool and easy to handle.

oh my goodness, Mihl – goulash?!? you are amazing! i cannot wait to make this – i’m printing out the recipe right now! i could kiss you, Mihl – thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Polona

Hum, I read the recipe three times already, but I can’t find the part where you add soaked TVP chunks to the goulash? Together with the mushrooms?
    All the TVP chunks I saw till now had instructions to soak 20-30 minutes in water, and the taste was awfull. Maybe a few hours in vegetable broth is the right solution? Has anyone tried to add dry chunks to the goulash and then cooked very long?

Hi Polona,

I included the step where you soak the TVP right in the beginning of the cooking instructions:

“Place the texturized vegetable protein (TVP) in a bowl and cover with hot vegetable broth. Cover and let sit for 2-3 hours. Drain the TVP chunks and reserve the liquid.”

But you are totally right, I forgot to write down when to add the TVP to the goulash. Thank you for catching this, I corrected it. The TVP is added right after the garlic.

I wondered what the difference was between german and hungarian goulash! I guess they both have paprika in them though. This looks great!

this sounds awesome. our summer is sucking so far so it sounds perfect. I’ve never used the chunks of TVP before, I’ll have to go buy some.

i never made goulash with mushrooms… but i like the idea. nice!

Seriously…thank you :)

It might only be a dream job, but I can still have fun doing it low budget in my kitchen. I’m going to try filming a few more and hope they get better with time.

My grandma and great aunt used to make hungarian goulash all the time. I can’t wait to try this out.

• fortheloveofguava

hmm… I’ve been pretty suspicious of those the TVP soaking action… the dried stuff just looks so un-appetizing to me… but the end result looks delicious!

Yeah, don’t try to eat the dried stuff all by itself, ha.

I’ve never thought about goulash before, but this really looks great! Thank you!

Yum! My best friend’s mom in elementary school made us goulash a lot. My mom never made it though. It was tasty. But yours looks much tastier!

I’d been thinking about veganizing a goulash recipe for quite awhile now. I can’t wait to try yours!

That looks so satisfying!

Grandmas are the coolest…and I’m guessing your oma is prob like mine where they know every recipe on their fingertips!

Anyway your goulash looks amazing!!! I hear ya about forgetting certain dishes once we turn herbivores….now if only I could taste your goulash…ohh and some nice crusty bread to go along with it too…mmmmmm

This sounds like just the thing for those days when you’re really hungry and want something to sink your teeth into. And I like that it’s thick rather than soupy.

Lovely. My husband always used to love goulash. I sometimes make one from Vegan planet, but I’m going to try this one too, once the mad testing is over!

this sounds hearty and so flavorful with the wine and seasonings!