Vegan MoFo – Dark Wholemeal Bread with Flax Seeds

If I am going to blog about food almost every day for a month there have to be  many bread posts as well, right? Right. If I could, I would bake bread every day. It has become such an addiction and I love to try new techniques. This week I left the sourdough starter in the fridge and used only yeast. To incorporate more flavour, I used the delayed fermentation method I learned from Peter Reinhart. Delayed fermentation means that you mix one part of your bread dough with a tiny amount of yeast and let it rest in the fridge over night. This will make the enzymes all go crazy and enhance the flavour of the bread.

For this bread, I used a mix of freshly milled flours: wheat, spelt, and rye.

Dark Wholemeal Bread with Flax Seeds

250 g whole wheat flour
250 g water
3 g fresh yeast (1 g instant yeast)

150 g whole spelt flour
100 g whole rye flour
150 g water
10 g salt
6 g fresh yeast (2 g instant yeast)
50 g whole flax seeds
50 g water

The day before mix whole wheat flour and water in a bowl. You can mix it with a spoon just until everything is combined. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for 8 hours.
Next day let the dough come to room temperature first. This is an important step you shouldn’t miss. Add remaining flours, salt, reamining yeast, and 150 g of water.

In a small bowl mix flax and 50 g of water and set aside.

Knead the dough for ten minutes. Because the dough consists of whole meal flours only it won’t be as elastic as regular bread dough. This bread has a relatively high water content, so it will also be considerably wetter, a bit like thick cake batter.
During the last minute of kneading add the flax mixture. The flax should have absorbed all the water by now. Knead the dough for another minute or until the flax is well incorporated. Preheat your oven to 250°C/480°F. Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper and transfer the dough to the pan. Let the dough rise until doubled, or for one hour.
Transfer it to your oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 220°C/420°F and bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. A very good way to determine if your loaf is done is a candy thermometer. Stick it into the centre of the baked bread and if it registers 93°C/200°F the bread is done. Let cool completely before slicing.

Have printed the recipe and can’t wait to try it. Look amazing.

• […] recipe that I did get around to making this month after it was posted was Mihl’s beautiful Dark Wholemeal Bread with Flax Seeds. The loaf only lasted three days, it was that good, and, remember, there’s only one of me […]

OH! That bread looks so crusty and delicious. I wish I had your bread making skills.

i had no idea that the delayed fermentation = more flavor. that’s so cool – and makes sense, too. i know i always say this, Mihl – but you make the yummiest looking breads! i make a loaf of whole wheat bread (by hand) for dan every sunday (for his sammies) – it’s something i look forward to every week. i started to really get in to breads just before the summer, but then i found out that gluten-free was better for my tummy (my stomach troubles have vanished since going gluten-free). now i’m experimenting with gluten-free doughs and such – it’s a bit tricky for me (and to be honest, a little overwhelming), but i’m slowly getting it!

one can never have enough flax seeds. And pair that bread up nice and warm with earth balance. nomnomnom

You should come to Portland and bake me loaves of bread. Please. And thank you.

Oh, sure…if I can crash on your couch.

• tofuparty

Again, a good looking bread. Keep those bread posts coming.
    Wondering, is this method better than using sourdough? Does is also give a little sour taste to the bread? My family isn’t found of the sourdough taste.

I wouldn’t call it better. It depends on what you like. Sourdough breads keep fresh longer and I like them better, to be honest.

Mmmmmmmmmm well done! This looks yummy!

• lazysmurf

wow that looks so good! I wish I was good and making bread!

The crumb looks beautiful! I would love to slather some Earth Balance on one of those slices to warm me up!

You are the queen of bread! I need to make a loaf more regularly.

Mm, you always make the best breads! This one looks like no exception, I love how hearty it looks.

That bread looks amazing! I’ve never used rye or the delayed fermentation method, but this is making me think that I should start.

Your bread continues to amaze! You should write a book!

Your bread posts are always excellent! I should make bread more often. It’s so much fun – mixing and kneading and seeing your dough rise and the smell of freshly baked bread…
    do you use ground flax seed in this recipe?

No, it is whole. But maybe you could try ground? You can also use other seeds like sunflower or sesame.

You are such a genius bread maker! This loaf looks so incredibly delicious, very rustic and perfect for topping with a dollop of vegan butter and a nice spread of fig jam.

This bread looks so good! I will have to make more time for bread baking, you are such an inspiration.

Oh Mihl that has me drooling. Is it Flax seed you use?

Yes, whole flax seeds. Thank you, I edited the post.