Vegan MoFo – Quince Fest

Yes, it is that time of the year again. Quinces, my favourite fruit are in season. I can’t tell you how much I love them. To rave about them on my blog is already a MoFo tradition. (Does two years in a row count as tradtion?) Yes, they aren’t that beautiful, you can’t eat them raw (they are very hard and sour), they are hard to peel, and they have to cook for a long time. BUT they smell so pleasantly that you can perfume your room with one single quince. And they have a very complex flavour. Read all about them here.

Last Saturday, while I was at work, P. hunted down a couple of quinces.When I came home he was already peeling them. His plan was to make an aromatic quince compote. Since he had bought organic quinces he started by cooking the peels in some water, then he took them out and added the quinces (750 g) and sugar (200 g). He couldn’t tell me the exact amount of water but the quince pieces were all covered in it. He cooked them until soft and took them out of the water/sugar mixture. Then he added some lemon juice and cooked the mixture until it turned into quince syrup:

P. served the cooked quinces with some syrup and passion fruit pulp, which you can’t see in the following picture. This is a very simple but still so delicious dessert. Quinces have a very complex flavour, they are sweet (if you cook them with enough sugar), there is a little bit of apple in them, a little bit of pear, and a hint of honey. Cooking them with some lemon will definitely enhance all these flavours and add some tartness.You can also add spices like cinnamon and cloves or even ground vanilla to make them very delicious.

Some days ago P. and I spotted some quince butter (or is it quince sauce?). It was made from 100 % fruit:

This quince butter/sauce is a great addition to muesli or oatmeal, it is not sweetened and therefore slightly sour but it’s perfect in a bowl of cereal and sweetened soy milk. But, you might ask, isn’t that a bit boring? Maybe you are right and therefore I made muffins with this quince butter and the quince syrup.To make them really special, I used some bourbon vanilla P. brought me from his recent trip.

If you can’t find quince butter/sauce at a store, you can easily make it yourself.  Cook some quinces until soft, drain them, and purée them in your food processor until creamy. And yes, you can probably use apple sauce or pear sauce instead of quince butter/sauce and substitute the syrup with 4 additional T of sugar and 4 T of water.

Quince Muffins with Ground Vanilla and Flax (makes 10 smallish muffins)
Recipe adapted from Chris’ Raspberry Lemon Muffins)

180 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/8 t ground bourbon vanilla

145 g (1/2 cup) soy yoghurt
8 T quince syrup (leftover from cooking quinces, see above)
3 T vegetable oil
2 T ground flax seeds
55 g (4 T) quince butter

Preheat oven to 175°C/ 350°F. Grease muffin pans and set aside.
In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.

In a second bowl mix soy yoghurt, quince syrup, vegetable oil, flax seeds, and quince butter/sauce. Let sit for 15 minutes. Pour wet into dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour batter into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 1-2 minutes and remove muffins from pan.

These muffins are great for a specail breakfast treat. The vanilla/quince combination gives them a very special flavour and the flax adds some texture. I would even dare to say that these are great with some margarine and quince jelly. P.S. Those muffins in the back just look burned, they aren’t.

Hi!

Could you tell me how much a couple of quinces is? I found two of them among my CSA loot and have never (really: not once!) eaten quinces before so I’m dying to try this syrup recipe for a start! So I would be much obliged. :)

Okay, you’ve convinced me to give quinces another try! I had quince jam once and wasn’t converted. . .but those muffins looks great. Even the cooked fruit w/ syrup sounds wonderful!

I have never had quince, but it sounds like I’d like it!

Oh my goodness. I’ve never had quince before, but that quince butter looks SO GOOD!

I hope I can find some nice ripe quinces soon. I would love to make the butter and the muffins.

Thank you, Mihl! We are both so excited.

I tried so hard to use the scooped out insides of the potatoes for something basic, and ended up making these crazy mashed potatoes (so good…so much garlic!).

I’ll post it soon.

I’ve never had quince before, either. Now I’ll have to give it a go :)

I don’t think I’ve ever had quince. Sounds like something I’ll have to seek out!

OH man, those muffins look delicious!!!

I don’t believe I’ve ever had quince but now I’m intrigued. Beautiful post.

I’ve never, ever seen a quince before….they sound interesting!

Quinces! I love them too!
    I had a friend who had quinces growing in her yard, but in our climate, they couldn’t grow very big so they looked like tiny apples and tiny pears (she had two varieties). Still, they smelled amazing! I could sit there in her kitchen with a quince in hand, and I couldn’t stop sniffing it. Those small fruits were the not-so-secret ingredient in her apple sauce, they made it deliciously fragrant and gave it that little something-something that took it a few notches over plain apple sauce.

Those are so special! I’ve never even tried quince. I love reading about these new ingredients!

• bazu

Ok, I HAVE to find quince now to make those muffins! Winter is not complete without it… Oh, and that quince butter looks so beautiful!

Very nice! I have several quinces that I recently got, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with them. This is going to give me a few ideas…

Sadly, I have never tried a fresh quince. I have only had it in the form of jam and I really enjoyed it. Those muffins look delicious :)

I could eat quince jam and jelly all day long!

• itstartedwithafish

oh, Mihl, what a coincidence, – I made quinces the other day, too lol only Turkish style…

And you are SO right to rave about them, – they are just wonderful tasty (sometimes not so) little things.

Must try your muffin recipe!
    Thanx for sharing!

I’m sold! Now I really must try them.

We planted a quince tree several years ago and by the time we goot fruit we had forgotten why we planted the tree :). BUT now we know it: we make compote (I don’t peel them tough, too much work :)), my mom has made jelly. I want to try a strudel with quince soon :). Those muffins sound good.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about quince strudel, too. I am envious you have a whole tree with these awesome fruits.

I’ve still not tried quince – I’ve never seen them on sale in Spain!! Your photos had me drooling though.

A friend brought us some quince last year and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Now I know! I will be checking my co-op for quince tomorrow.

This post is amazing. The photography is just beautiful and that muffin??? DELICIOUS!

ooooh! you know I am in the quince club too! I have a bunch of quince that are so big, but that got picked prematurely… so now I have them in a brown paper sack with an apple, hoping they will ripen soon. I can’t wait! I want to make quince butter! Last year I made about 100 different cool quince things… this year’s crop is much smaller. The muffins look so amazing. I wish I could eat it off the screen!