Curried Pumpkin Soup with White Wine and Seitan

This recipe was inspired by Susan’s seitan stew. I used her method of cooking the seitan directly in the soup. It saves time and makes the seitan itself very tender. Adding seitan to this dish makes it very filling. Don’t forget to add some lemon, it takes away the sweetness of the pumpkin, if you like your pumpkin savoury like me.

Curried Pumpkin Soup with White Wine and Seitan

For the soup:
1 t oil of your choice
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
850 g (~ 7 1/2 cups 1 inch cubes) chopped pumpkin
1 cup white wine (or vegetable broth)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 T curry powder of your choice (I used a mild version)
1 t smoked sweet paprika
freshly ground pepper and additional salt to taste

For the seitan:

144 g (1 cup) gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)
2 T nutritional yeast
1 t onion powder
1 t salt
1 t smoked sweet paprika
1 t liquid smoke
180 ml (3/4 cup) water

Additional seasonings for each bowl:
1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 t liquid smoke or chipotle sauce
fresh basil

To make the soup:

Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring. Add bell pepper and cook two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.Cook for 15 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.

While the soup is cooking, prepare the seitan:

Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add liquid smoke and water and mix with your hands until a dough forms. Knead for five minutes. Place the dough on a cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.

Purée the soup with a handheld blender until smooth. Add seitan and bring back to boil. Simmer for 30-35 minutes until the seitan is done. Ladle soup into bowls and add 1/2 T fresh lemon juice per bowl and 1 t of liquid smoke or chipotle sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs such as basil and serve immediately.

Auf meiner Webseite gibt es sie auch auf Deutsch. Einfach rechts oben die Sprache anklicken.

• […] Pumpkin Soup with White Wine and Seitan from Seitan is My Motor. I am pretty crazy about this smoky, warming, flavorful soup. It’s hearty so make a big batch […]

• […] a side note, if it’s getting a bit chilly in your neighborhood, make this soup. (You could probably find a tasty bread recipe to go along with it while you are visiting […]

I made this for dinner today and really enjoyed all the flavors. Cooking the seitan in the soup resulted in some of the best seitan I have ever eaten. The addition of lemon juice and liquid smoke at the end really pulls the soup together. And, the recipe makes a ton so there are plenty of leftovers!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!!

That looks delicious! I’m gonna try makin this one :)

Thanks! She’s dong just fine.
    I was lucky and found the Chanterelles on sale for 14.99 a pound! Super cheap :)

Wow this looks delicious.

• fortheloveofguava

I’m not the biggest pumpkin fan but somehow you still make me want it Mihl! NOM~!

oh these both look amazing, but it’s too damned hot to eat anything of the sort…

Both of these look absolutely heavenly! And my bank account likes creative use of leftovers. (Not that I would be likely to have any!)

Mmm. I LOVED Susan’s stew, and I am definitely into savory pumpkin (cinnamon gets boring after a while!), so this sounds delicious.

• jrsimon56

Wish I could come to your place and try this. I personally can’t seem to figure seitan out and haven’t loved it when I’ve made it. But, your stuff looks fantstic!

That soup looks SO good! Saving this one for sure.

This looks awesome! It’s funny, I use squash all the time but always neglect my ol’ pal the pumpkin. From some reason, this stuff always floats by me on FatFreeVegan, but hits me like a truck on your site. This is definitely high on the must-make-soups list, and we’re just about into soup season.

That sounds like a great soup for a rainy day (like today). I’ve never tried cooking seitan directly in a soup but it sounds like a great idea. I’ll have to try this soon!

i’ve never had pumpkin in a stew or soup before, Milh – i need to give it a whirl. i think i can make your soup with tempeh to keep it gluten-free, too. w00t! white wine, curry, and smoked paprika – now you’re talk’n! i enjoy my pumpkin savory as well – never been one really care for it being super sweet.

Ooh, yum, love this pumpkin recipe and it’s the perfect season for it. Thanks for sharing!

This looks excellent. I actually have a pumpkin sitting on my counter that’s looking to be put to use… haven’t been sure how to use it though. I often find straight up pumpkin soup to be a little sweet, but I bet seitan would balance that nicely. Now I can’t decide… pumpkin soup or pumpkin chili? I best buy another pumpkin and try out both!

If you add lemon, as suggested above, it takes away all the sweetness. Because I totally agree with you…I also find regular pumpkin soup too sweet.

Oh my, this looks SO good!

Oh yum. A friend of mine has lots of pumpkin puree to get rid of. I bet we could skip the puree step and still make this tasty looking soup!

You can totally use purée! I think you will need 3 1/2 to four cups of purée.

• taleoftwovegans

Mmm I love curried squash soups and this definitely stands apart from the usual. The picture looks scrumptious! :)
    -K

Way to go on taking your inspiration from Susan’s recipe and taking the whole thing to a totally different direction! It sounds delicious, and absolutely perfect for the chilly autumn days we’re having right now.

I am printing this recipe and putting it in my High Priority Recipes Folder!!!

I’m sitting here shivering, staring at that gorgeous bowl of pumpkin soup and planning tonight’s dinner. I want that on my table!

Oh yum! I really liked Susan’s method when I made her stew–with pumpkin it sounds absolutely wonderful.