It’s like nutella! – vegan chocolate hazelnut spread

This spread can be used as a filling for the marzipan gianduia crescent rolls. It can be used as a truffle or cookie filling and as a frosting for cakes or cupcakes. It can satisfy your nutella cravings, although it doesn’t contain any milk chocolate. The taste is very similar to that famous Italian spread, but with a tiny bitter note from the roasted hazelnuts and the dark chocolate. It is so delicious, it can be eaten right from the jar.
This recipe calls for hazelnut butter. If you cannot find this product, you can use roasted hazelnuts and make your own nut butter. Place the roasted hazelnuts in a food processor and process into a smooth paste. Almond butter is also a great substitute.

The hazelnut butter I used is the natural kind. It is a little bit runny, which is important for the texture of this spread. If your nut butter is more like smooth peanut butter, you may need to add more oil.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread

50 g semisweet chocolate
2 T sugar
1/8 t ground vanilla
4 T soy milk
60 g hazelnut butter
1 T canola oil

Chop  chocolate into small pieces. Place in a small saucepan together with sugar, vanilla, and soy milk. Carefully melt the chocolate mixture over low heat. Stir constantly to combine all ingredients and prevent burning. This won’t take very long, probably less than a minute, if you chopped the chocolate very small. Set aside when everything is well combined.
Mix hazelnut butter and oil. Stir into chocolate mixture until smooth. Transfer to a glass jar and let cool to room temperature. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours until set.

Enjoy this on a slice of freshly baked and still warm white bread, so that the spread starts to melt.

Edit: Chris of vegalicious pointed out that there should be a pinch of salt in this spread. She’s right and you might want to add 1/8 – 1/4 t salt to the mixture when you stir everything together.

Store this spread in the fridge.

• […] cookies itself are very simple and plain. The filling is adapted from my chocolate hazelnut spread recipe. Made with 1/4 cup of Kahlúa and a pinch of tonka bean it becomes “grown up” […]

• […] Nuss-Nougat, Kirschwasser, Kaffeelikör und Rotwein. Wer keinen Nougat zur Hand hat, kann auch diese Nougat-Schokocreme […]

• Sylvia

I haven’t been able to find hazelnut butter where I live.. I wish I could so I could make this. It looks so good- and my husband LOVES hazelnut! YUM!
    -Sylvia

• sebastian

mmh, i’m gonna give this a try.

it’s funny, sitting in my room, forestling “vegan chocolate spread” and ending up on a blog from dresden.
      which is just where i am. hihi.

auch in der vg? ;)

Hallo Sebastian! Noch nicht, aber wir denken gerade darüber nach.

P.S. Ja, die Welt ist klein. :)

• veganhomemade

I’ve recently been introduced to the world of hazelnuts. Sounds delicious!

I am drooling! Mmmm. Looks great!

I’ve been toying with making vegan nutella for, like, forever! Thank you for this recipe–it looks just fantastic. Can’t wait until I’m able to EAT it again (and then, watch out) ;)

I was just eyeing the Nutella at the store with sadness and I’m glad to see you have a recipe for a vegan version.

Will definitely be trying this :)

I may have to splurge and buy some hazelnuts and make my own hazelnut butter. That first picture has my mouth watering! I bet that stuff would make some really tasty desserts.

*Drool*

I used to eat nutella by the truckload and make myself sick on it. I think I’ve recovered to the point where I could give this recipe a try (if I ever find hazelnut butter or reasonably priced hazelnuts). I love nutella on fruit, and on vanilla ice cream.

Thank you for this recipe!

Wow! That looks delicious. I’ll definitely have to try that.

Ooooh, hell yes!

• Mihl, I think you just killed me! Death by chocolate hazelnut spread! :-D

This is perfect – for the rolls in your previous post, sure, but for so much more too! It looks delicious!

• Taymer

Love the Rapunzel brand. Their vegan chocolates are some of the best dark chocolates I have ever tasted and I think it is a free trade brand too. Will check the health food store for this butter but I am sure they have it. Finally I can enjoy a vegan chocolate spread again. You know it hurts that I see the big nutella tubs here selling for 3 euro and I know that I cannot cash in on that bargain! Thanks Mihl

Oh sweet revenge! Now I know how you feel when you can’t get something!

I was introduced to the wonders of Nutella the first time I traveled to Europe (I was vegetaria, not vegan, then). I went vegan shortly thereafter and have often pined for it. This looks freaking fantastic! Most coops seem to carry Rapunzel brand (usually just veggie stock), so I’ll have to see if I can get some hazelnut butter. You’re a true hero for posting this!

nutella was the stuff of my childhood. i’m soooo excited to try this recipe. i think i’ll make it for t-day to share with my family and bring some nostalgia to the table!

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i love you, Mihl! hooooooray for vegan chocolate hazelnut spread! my life is never going to be the same again! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

I used to LOVE nutella! And then I discovered that vegan Chocoreale spread, but I have to order that because they don’t sell it here. I could make this though…but I’d have to make my own hazelnut butter. I’ve never seen that for sale here either.

I made vegan nutella once for a cake project and loved it. Haven’t made it since, but now I’m dying for a jar!

Yum! I really miss Nutella, we ate it a lot as kids and none of the chocolate spreads I have tried are as nice. I can’t find hazelnut butter here so I will make my own or use almond butter.

• taleoftwovegans

Oh goodness me! Hazelnut butter is definitely going on my shopping list. I used to love Nutella and this sounds like it will be an improvement (above and beyond the vegan factor)
    -K

I love that this spread isn’t loaded in oil! yay!

• kimberly

Looks delicious. I always get a headache after eating nutella, but it’s so tempting!! :)

When I’m feeling adventurous I’ll have to try this.
    PS: I love that your posts + photos show up completely on GoogleReader now! I always get lazy and ignore the blogs that make you click to their blog to view the posts, it makes subscriptions sort of useless.

I know that headache from eating too much chocolate. Yes, I realized that it must be very annoying for people to get to read only the first sentence of my entry. Thank you very much for your feedback.

GENIUS! Pure genius! I loooove nutella but can rarely find a good vegan version of choco/hazelnut spread so I go without. Not anymore! Thank you so much, I can’t wait to make this and eat it on absolutely everything.

Would you believe I’ve never tasted Nutella – but who cares? This looks better! I have some hazelnuts in the pantry just waiting for this.

MMMM!

This looks irresistible!

YUM! I miss Nutella so much and can’t wait to try this recipe!! Thanks.

Yum! So easy and sounds delightful!

Mmm yes please!
    I love the look of this recipe – delicious ingredients, but such a simple preparation! I don’t make spreads very often because I don’t feel like using the entire food processor, but I could definitely see myself whipping this up in the near future…

• Oh. My. Goodness.

I love the Pb&co chocolate peanut butter because it remnds me of Nutella… but I’m SURE chocolate hazelnut would be even better. Now if only I could find some hazelnut butter…

Heavenly!