Simple and flavourful hazelnut bread

fresh hazelnuts

Hazelnuts are my favourite kind of nut. Right now they are available in abundance here in Germany as people like to consume nuts over the holidays. (We always used to get a bag full of nuts, clementines, and chocolates for Christmas). If it comes to food, hazelnuts are very versatile. They go well with chocolate but they are also nice in savoury things. These nuts add a lot of flavour even to such simple things as bread. The bakery next to my parent’s house sells a wonderful Früchtebrot (fruit bread) in which hazelnuts and dried figs make up most of the complex flavour. Even if you only add hazelnuts to your bread dough, you will still be surprised by the outstanding taste of the freshly baked loaf.

Haselnussbrot (hazelnut bread)

I have different versions of hazelnut bread. Once I used a sourdough starter and once I used mostly white flour. Here I am sharing a very , “weekday” version made with yeast and whole wheat flour.

Haselnussbrot (makes one large loaf)

500 g whole wheat flour
350 g luke warm water
10 g fresh (or 3.3 g instant) yeast
10 g salt
100 g hazelnuts (pecans or walnuts work well too)
finely cracked grains or corn meal for sprinkling the pan

Combine flour, water, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Knead until the dough is smooth and has developed enough gluten (about 10 minutes). Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled. Add hazelnuts and knead until the nuts are incorporated. Shape your loaf, sprinkle your bread or the pan with finely cracked grains and let the dough double again. Preheat oven to 250°C (480°F) in time.
Score the bread, transfer it to the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 °C (400°F) after 10 minutes.

freshly sliced bread

Let the bread cool compleately before slicing. Enjoy!

• Lee Ann

I’ve always loved Hazelnuts. So much so that my family teases me about it and now I know it’s the German in me craving them.

Ooh, hazelnut bread sounds amazing!

I love your hazelnut photo at the top!

You always make such sexy baked goods!

Heck no…any tomatoes will work. Although I completely understand the love of San Marzanos. My parents left me with a case of cans when they last visited.

Thanks, Mihl :)

whoa. I am practically drooling on the keyboard. I love hazelnuts most of all. That looks soooooo good. Mmmm.

I have to say, I don’t think I’ve even seen fresh hazelnuts before! Must make a huge difference in flavor… What a tempting slice of bread!

Thanks for visit. A happy New Year to you as well :)

I love hazelnuts. You are such a wonderful baker, the bread looks sooo tasty.

• amandatrombley

I really want to try this! I bet your house smelled so good while this was baking! I’m not familiar with live yeast (only the inactive stuff) so I’m going to do a little research on this asap..I used inactive yeast in the stollen and I think it would have been puffier with the live yeast possibly. Anyway, amazing photos as always!

as always, Mihl – your bread looks outstanding! time after time you produce such awesomeness. i think you should consider having me as a roommate! ah ah ah! i know i keep saying this, but i still need to make your hazelnut spread. we bought some hazelnuts to round out the agave roasted nuts we made for christmas and we still have about 3 cup’s worth left stored away in our freezer. squeee!

• Absolutely beautiful Mihl! I hope one day I can grow up and be an amazing baker like you!!!

The photos of this bread make me want to sell my soul and no longer be (likely) allergic to hazelnuts! GAH!

I love hazelnuts too! They must add such a delicious flavor to the bread… I’ve got to try it!

• murderess

did you toast the hazelnuts first?

No, no toasting. But you could do that to add even more flavour.

• tofuparty

I think I can smell this bread all the way to Belgium. I’m thinking of putting a chocolate spread on top or maybe fresh from the oven and still a little bit warm with some vegan butter or a jam. Mmmmm!!!

It tastes great with butter and jam, but chocolate spread sounds even better!

Oh wow, that brot looks so beautiful and wholesome!

I’ve never thought about putting hazelnuts in bread before (we always use pecans) but it sounds delicious!

I’m off gluten for the month, and that bread looks especially delicious! I WANT IT NOW! I love hazelnuts too and they look so cute stickin’ out of that little slice.

Awesome. I love walnut bread but haven’t seen hazelnut before. Will have to give this a go sometime (but will undoutably be lazy and use a bread machine ;))

wow! hazelnuts in bread – i’ve never even thought of such a thing… isn’t it funny how much time we spend in the kitchen and what does not even cross our mind?

you really do have a knack with bread!

Your breads alwys look so beautiful – great looking crust!

That is some great looking bread!

I know I say it all the time but you are seriously an amazing bread baker. A book, a book!