Spaghetti with Beluga Lentil Sauce

Ingredients for the sauce
Ingredients for the sauce.

Recently, I have been on a lentil kick. Well, to be honest I have a full pantry and there are so many jars filled with all kinds of legumes, which I never touch. Like these pretty little beluga lentils. They are easy to prepare because you don’t have to soak them. Their cooking time is under 30 minutes and they are a great choice, if you feel like legumes, but don’t want to plan ahead too much.

Lentils are a fantastic base for spaghetti sauces and combined with tomatoes, peppers, and a decent amount of spices they make a very filling and delicious sauce, which will make you reach for a second serving. This sauce is very thick and comforting and if you have leftovers, you can spread them on toasted french bread or eat it with crackers and pretzels for a hearty snack.

Spaghetti with Beluga Lentil Sauce (serves 2)

50 g (1/4 cup) beluga lentils
150 g (1 cup, chopped) red bell pepper
1 small onion (1/3 cup, chopped)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup plain tomato sauce (passierte Tomaten)
1 chipotle in adobo + 1 t adobo sauce from the can
1 t salt (or to taste)
1 t Hungarian paprika
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried marjoram
15 g (1/4 cup) textured vegetable protein (TVP)
pepper to taste

whole wheat spaghetti for serving, prepared according to package directions.

Cook the lentils according to package directions (I cooked mine in 1 1/2 c of water, for 25 minutes).

Heat a large cast iron pan to medium-high heat.

Combine chopped pepper, chopped onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and chipotle + sauce in a food processor and process until mostly smooth. Drain the lentils Pour the puréed vegetables into the hot pan and immediately add remaining ingredients.  Lower the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until the consistency has thickened up. Mix with pasta and serve immediately.

Spicy and filling!

Hi and thanks! Thank you for linking to your wonderful blog, I bookmarked it.

• Hi there! I’ve actually been reading your blog for some time now but never spoke up, so hello!

I’ll be trying this one very soon–what a perfect wintery meal. I am most intriguiged by the chipotle flavor in the mix, such an unexpected yet most welcome flavor.

Ooh, that looks so nice & so does the site!

Fantastic! The photo are great, too. This sounds like a really rich and filling sauce–just perfect for the cold weather we’re having over here. :)

That looks so thick and perfect! I love lentils, you are totally right, they are just perfect with almost anything. I love the idea of spreading this sauce on toast, that would be a great breakfast, I think.

Beluga lentils are so pretty <3 so is your new blog design, I love the blueberry-ish colours!

• tofuparty

Love your idea and the way of presenting the ingredients.
    I never heard of Beluga lentils. Normally I use the french green ones. I guess they will work too. But on my next grocery-shopping trip, I’m going to look out for beluga’s. I like the name.

That sounds amazing! I’ve never been much for a “meaty” pasta sauce, but something about this just sounds so appealing… I’m putting beluga lentils on the grocery list right now! ;)

Oooh, I love lentils, that looks so good!

dan and i were on a lentil kick last week. we had bbq lentils and snobby joes to use up the last of the green lentils we had in the pantry. your pantry sounds a lot like mine, Mihl. i’ve never heard of beluga lentils – i love the name, and i love that they don’t need to soak or require a super long cooking time. if i can get my hands on them, i will. you better believe we’ll be making your lentil sauce when we restock out lentil supply. yay!

Belugas are small and pretty, they are my favourite. But you can use other lentils too.

Gah. *DROOL* Seriously, your entire blog is making me drool and so happy that I have found veg German-y type food for my craving husband.

Hi Persehone! Hope, you both like it and thanks for stopping by.

• I like the name of your blog. :)

And I have heard that lentils make a good spaghetti sauce, I’ll have to try it some time!

Those lentils are massive! And this is most definitely starting to give me ideas for jazzing up pasta dishes…

Great recipe! I too have a cabinet full of lentils, time to break them out!

The new look is great! I love lentils in sauces (especially spags or sloppy joes!) yummy!

Such pretty pictures! You make the humble spaghetti look so appealing – yum!
    I love lentils too, they come in really handy when I haven’t planned ahead of time… Beluga lentils are new to me; I have to see if we can find them here – I’d love to try a new lentil variety!

Oh yeah! I’ve never had beluga lentils before but they are so purty, I’m gonna have to track them down and try this.

Yum! Way to dive into the pantry!

• Taymer

i love the new layout…need to pm me to let me know what u did…my site needs a face lift and botox..
    anyways the dish is great and u are using my favourite thing tvp…i never saw such cute lentils
    i am on a lentil kick these days as well..take away all the processed foods and give me beans and peas and i would be happy

• The spaghetti looks delicious! and the photos in your banner are mouthwatering!

Using lentils as a base for pasta sauce is a great idea! I was inspired by your post to make some tonight using what I had on hand (red lentils, tomato paste, onions, garlic and herbs). I’ll definitely try your recipe soon!

Your new look is sooooo cute! Those beluga lentils are very pretty… I can’t wait to try this with my brown rice spaghetti, belugas or another variety… :D

Oh, delicious! I love the combination of flavors in this sauce. I am also a big lentil fan, because I always forget to soak other beans!

Your makeover looks fantastic. I love the color on the sides!

i have never had beluga lentils. heck, i’ve never even heard of them. but that pasta sounds delish – i’ll have to see if another lentil varity will work as well.

• Terrific idea! I love the ingredients that you used for the sauce, I’m a sucker for anything with adobo. That’s a lovely plate! :-)

• amandatrombley

Wow..what a great idea. I have those jars of lentils too and crazy kinds of beans that I picked up at ethnic markets. It’s nice to experiment around and it sounds like you made a nice meal out of them!

I love your new layout! And that lentil sauce looks so fabulous and filling–a perfect way to start cleaning out the pantry.