Gomba Paprikás (Mushrooms with Paprika Flavoured Cream Sauce)

Gomba paprikás – creamy and comforting

I visited Hungary a couple of times to stay with a guest family. They taught me a bit about Hungarian food and the Hungarian language and of course they cooked fantastic meals for me. One of my favourite dishes back then was gombás pörkölt, mushroom goulash. A similar dish popular in Hungary is gomba paprikás, which means “mushrooms flavoured with paprika”.

I found a wonderful recipe for this speciality in Celia Brook Brown’s book Vegetarisch Kochen. (The English version is called World Vegetarian Cuisine). (Unfortunately the author mixes up Hungarian and Czech and calls the dish Houby Paprikas. Houby is the Czech word for mushrooms.) The original recipe (which you can find here) calls for sour cream to make a creamy sauce. I used soy milk, sunflower seeds, and cornstarch to make a vegan version. Made from the most basic ingredients it is creamy, mild, refreshing and comforting at the same time. I served it with store-bought whole wheat spätzle, which may be hard to find outside of Germany and Austria. Use whatever pasta you have on hand instead of the spätzle.

Gomba Paprikás (serves 2)

1 t canola or olive oil
200 g white button mushrooms, chopped into dice
1 small onion, diced

3/4 cup soy milk
2 T sunflower seeds
1 T cornstarch
2 t good quality sweet Hungarian paprika (substitute mild smoked paprika for a slighly different version)
juice of 1/2 small lemon
1 t agave nectar
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 t dried dill
1 T freshly chopped parsley

Cooked pasta for serving

In a large pan heat the oil. Add onion and fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Reduce heat  to medium and add mushrooms. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until the mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown.

Meanwhile prepare the sauce: Combine sunflower seeds with 2-3 T of soy milk and process until creamy and smooth. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined. Add to the mushrooms and cook until the sauce has thickened to a desired consistency, slightly thick and creamy (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in dill and parsley. Combine with prepared pasta and serve immediately.

• imola

Hi Mihl,
    I am Hungarian, we basically do the same trick with all the veggies that we can do with meat as a pörkölt. Pörkölt is the onion base with paprika and it means that it is browned or roasted. My favorite one is the squash stew which is tökfőzelék in Hungarian. I have to say that after you brown the onion and garlic with paprika you can pretty much throw in any veggies that you like, just have to adjust the sauce with some water, and in the end put in the “sourcream” with the flour. Great blog and loads of inspiration Mihl,
    Imola

Hi Imola,

thank you for the great info!

[…] From: Seitan is my motor […]

This looks really great! We’re in the midst of cold rainy weather, so i will be trying this out, I think!

Oooh, I adore mushrooms and this looks fabulous!

• diana

Hey I’m from Hungary, and i was quite surprised to see this recipe here, though i have to say its rather unorthodox (from the original one) :D but im glad you’re spreading the well-deserved name of hungarian cuisine.

This looks awesome! I never quite know what to do with paprika, and I love how it’s one of the stars here – the mushroom sauce looks delicious.

oh yum! mushrooms & paprika = 2 of my favourite things!!

• Svenja

I always wondered what to buy when a recipe calls for “Hungarian paprika”. Is it “Paprika edelsüß” or is there something else?

Hungarian paprika can be mild or hot. I used a good quality mild paprika aka “edelsüß”.

I love the name Gomba, it just sounds delicious! That plate of food is seriously stunning, I am going to have to try this – so creamy and delicous.

• Beans, Figs and Katz

this was wonderful! we made it with rice milk, and forgot the sweetener, but still amazing. we served it over homemade chickpea cutlets, with mashed potatoes and salad. thank you!

Thank you for trying it and I am glad you liked it!

Woah. That looks so creamy and delicious!

• How perfect! I love mushrooms! I could eat mushrooms every day and not get sick of them. This will certainly come in handy when it’s time to do my “H” entry for E.A.T World. *bookmarking*

I’ve gotta say, I never cook Hungarian food! It just never occurs to me… But this here looks so good, really hearty and perfect for a cold evening.

OMG that looks seriously amazing!! Can’t wait to try this – thanks so much! :)

• taleoftwovegans

Interesting! I’ll have to try this, as I have absolutely no idea what paprika tastes like – I’ve used it in things, but I was sortof of the opinion that it’s main flavour was ‘red’. I’m intrigued! -Eve

I guess it really depends on the kind of paprika you use. Some store-bought stuff doesn’t have any flavour.

what a beautiful dish, Mihl! i don’t recall ever having a hungarian dish before – i’m gonna have to start with your gomba paprikas! it looks to tasty not to try. yum! soy milk, sunflower seeds, and cornstarch for vegan sourcream, you say?! i’m all about that, too. yay! have an amazingly fun weekend, Sal!

sorry, Mihl – i called you Sal at the end there. i’m gonna blame the glass of red wine i’m drinking while reading awesome blog posts! tee hee!

Don’t worry. Stuff like that happens to me all the time :)

Mihl, this looks incredible!

Oh my gosh, that looks really really delicious and awesome! I’m totally going to have to try this soon.

Oh, this looks blessèd :D Kinda like dark alfredo sauce. The fact that it uses ingredients that most people have on hand already is very welcoming. Great job, and I always love to read the detailed background of your dishes. All the best :)

• Oh my gosh that looks like the perfect meal for this wintry day. and that spatzle looks so good- is it like noodles?

Yes, it is – usually homemade – pasta with lots of eggs.

That looks wonderful. I’m going to print it off and give it a try. I’m going GF for a little bit, so I may put it over rice instead of spaetzel. I know, not authentic, but I don’t think I can resist that sauce!!

Actually I think that rice is a wonderful idea!

oh mercy, that looks divine. i love creamy red sauces… and mushrooms?! you can’t get much better than that!

This looks fantastic, and I’ve been meaning to try my hand at making spatzle for awhile so this might be the perfect chance for a challenge. The sauce sounds so warm and creamy–perfect for winter!

A friend of mine is from Hungary and her grandmother used to make Chicken Paprikash all the time–this looks so similar! I used to love it–now I can have yours instead!

That looks so good mihl! I`m going to try this, for sure. The german grandma from my grandma lived in Hungary for some years, so my grandma always makes Goulash..but I have always hated it..
    But myshrooms and paprika are a big love in my life!
    I always make spätlze at home, my father loves it.

How awesome! Do you have a vegan recipe for spätzle?

One more sauce to add to my repertoire! You know how sometimes you feel like whipping up something different, but you’re not quite sure what – this sounds like a perfect answer. Yay for new and interesting options!

What a lovely sauce instead of just a white sauce and mushrooms.

• cookeasyvegan

I just printed this out – it sounds wonderful. (There’s a recipe for spätzle in the Urban Vegan cookbook but I think I’ll just use a thick udon noodle. Not the right origin, I know.)

Udon sounds perfect! Will remeber that next time I don’t have spätzle on hand.

Yum! That looks sooooo good right now. Much better than the raw mushroom gravy I’ll be eating for lunch!

• fortheloveofguava

YUM! So this was on my pasta instead of my canned sauce… hehe…

It WAS? Did you like it?

Oh wow, that looks absolutely delish! I can almost taste it… I’ve had this kind of dish before but never knew how to make it!