Chocolate chunk cookies two ways

Probably most of you have a stand-by recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Maybe you know exactly how many chocolate chips you want in your cookies and how that texture should be. Well, I don’t. I’ve made tons of cookies in my life, but chocolate chip cookies never made it into my oven. Probably because they are the type of cookie I bought in a box. Probably because I never knew how famous that cookie is in some parts of the world. Probably because it’s the All-American and not All-German cookie. When I became vegan I tried to bake chocolate chip cookies a couple of times and failed. They always came out horribly, no matter what recipe I tried.

Two weeks ago I made my own version or to be precise: I made chocolate chunk cookies. Or to be even more precise: chocolate chunk marzipan cookies. I made two versions and they came out wonderfully. One is made with chunks of marzipan and white chocolate folded into the batter. It has the texture of shortbread: flaky, crumbly, and tender. The second version has marzipan mixed into the batter and dark chocolate folded in. It’s very soft but not necessarily chewy. I liked both alike so I’ll share both recipes with you.

white chocolate chunk marzipan cookies

White Chocolate Chunk Marzipan Cookies (makes 12-14 cookies)

112 g (1/2 cup) margarine
5 tablespoons raw sugar
5 drops vanilla essence (1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
25 g (3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) cornstarch mixed with
2 tablespoons water or soymilk
100 g (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
60 g (2.1 oz) marzipan, chopped
60 g (2.1 oz) white chocolate, chopped
Additional flour for shaping

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).

With a handheld mixer, beat together margarine and sugar until light and fluffy (2-4 minutes). Add vanilla essence and cornstarch mixture. Beat well to combine. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat to combine. Fold in marzipan and white chocolate. Transfer dough to freezer for 10 minutes. Divide dough into equal portions. Lightly flour your hands and shape dough into balls. Place on baking sheet and don’t flatten, they will spread quite a bit. Bake for 12 minutes until set. Let cool on baking sheet for five minutes, transfer to cookie rack to cool completely.

dark chocolate chunk marzipan cookies

Dark Chocolate Chunk Marzipan Cookies (14-16 cookies)

112 g (1/2 cup) margarine
70 g ( 5 tablespoons) raw sugar
75 g (2.6 oz) marzipan, chopped
60 ml (1/4 cup) soy milk
5 drops vanilla essence (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
150 g all-purpose flour (1 cup + 1/4 cup)
25 g cornstarch (3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
100 g (3.5 oz) semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).

With a handheld mixer, cream together margarine and sugar, until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add marzipan, soymilk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. In a second bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Add to margarine mixture and beat until well combined. Fold in chocolate. Divide dough into equal portions. Place on baking sheet and flatten the cookies as they won’t spread. Bake for 12 minutes until the edges start to brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to cookie rack to cool completely.

• Lisa
    7 months ago

I just made these this afternoon and they are very good. Next time I make them, I might try almond extract instead of (or in addition to) the vanilla. Thank you for this recipe. It’s a keeper!

• 7 months ago

Thank you, Lisa! I am glad you liked these!

• Katharina

Ich komme immer wieder auf dieses Rezept zurück. Marzipan und dunkle Schokolade, unglaublich lecker!!
    1000 Dank fürs posten.

Danke! Das freut mich.

• […] cookies are a variation of these cookies, I just used hazelnuts instead of chocolate.  Maybe it is weird, but I really like cakey cookies. […]

Wow, two cookie recipes in a single post! I’m going to like it here (and a Cake reference doesn’t hurt, either!). Thanks, Mihl!

I never thought about putting marzipan into cookies, I’m so excited by this because I love it so much and never thought of trying it!! :)

Wow! I do have a couple of standby recipes for chocolate chip cookies, but I love trying new ones. Thanks!!

• veganhomemade

Those cookies look amazing!!!

You know, I always seem happy without eating too many sweets…until I stop in here. Man, these look awesome, as always. If I lived next door to you, I would exist in perpetual sugar coma!

Those look amazing! My students are always so surprised when I make them chocolate chip cookies because they are so different than what you buy in a package. I may have to make some…

Oh man, these look so good. I’m going to give the first ones a go tonight. Chunks of marzipan is such a wonderful idea!

Oh my, your take on this classic cookie sounds a-mazing! I’m definitely making some for my mom, since she adores marzipan. :)

Mhmm, the marzipan cookies look amazing!!!! I LOVE marzipan.

Woah, both types of cookie look amazing. I’m definitely going to have to try them!

My husband’s very favorite dessert in the world is marzipan, he will go crazy for these. They look so beautiful, just flawless and absolutely delicious. Thank you so much!

oooo… you may have hit on something my anti-sweet tooth might enjoy. i *love* dark chocolate! the bitter, the better! :) those cookies look divine – and my dog’s nickname is marzipan (real name is marcel), so what’s not to love??

Mmmm. I want cookies in my belly now!

I know. I can’t believe all the hassle just to get my own car back, but at least it’s safe and sound.
    Start with the Ditalini/Kale recipe. It’s sooo good!

Mihl! Wow–I’ll take a batch of both cookies, please! In the marzipan you use, was that just almond paste? I have almond paste on hand and wonder if that would do? These look amazing!

I think almond paste is different. You can make your own marzipan by kneading in powdered sugar. You need about two parts almonds and one part sugar. The marzipan should be a pliable dough. Here is a good explanation on german marzipan:

These sound amazingly good!

Marzipan + chocolate is always a great combination. Putting them together to make cookies just made that combo even better! Thanks for sharing.

chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite, Mihl! i do think of them as kinda the all-american cookie. i’ve even deglutenized two chocolate chip cookie recipes because i love ’em so much and “have” to have ’em kinda frequently. so yummmmmmmm! both your marzipan and white chocolate AND marzipan and dark chocolate sound great, look super stellar, and i love the sound of the different textures. you’re brilliant, Mihl – and might i add, one helluva gloriouslt great baker! w00t!

• YES! marzipan cookies!!! I’m on it, Mihl. I’m on it.

oh my goodness, seriously, those cookies are amazing. I love love love marzipan and yet hardly ever eat it. I must remedy this situation!

Also, looking through the last several posts, I decided that when I die, if I am lucky to end up in vegan-heaven, it is going to look very similar to your blog!

Yumm, just the love the white chocolate ones! Which brand did you use? I´ve looked for “weiße Kuvertüre” so many times and haven´t found a vegan version yet.

BTW I received “Becoming Vegan” and am almost done reading. Thanks again :)

You should check out the “Veganladen” in Berlin, that’s where I found them. It’s the Bonvita brand.
      I hope the book is helpful to you! I think it is such an awesome ressource. I use it all the time.

“Veganladen”?? Woot! I didn´t know this place existed! I owe you my life Mihl, hehe :)

Thanks and enjoy your day!!!! xoxo

It’s a small organic and vegan shop. They even have vegan shoes and some cookbooks.
          Enjoy your day, too.

Chocolate and marzipan sounds like a great combination! Definitely have to give that a try.

Strangely enough, chocolate chip cookies had been always my most succesful cookies…they always turn out great (which is a strange thing). My favorite were the ones with orange and dark chocolate which recipe I posted some weeks ago :)

I’ve never seen white vegan chocolate here :O I know that you can find it in the USA (and I suppose in other European countries as well). But if they have it here, they’re hiding it very well T.T

PS: Thanks for the encouraging words. I know it will go away, but sometimes you just can’t avoid loosing heart :( Maybe it’s just the spring u.u

Your idea of adding marzipan to chocolate chips cookies takes them from good to awesome! Marzipan simply makes everything better. :)

For someone who says they can’t make a decent chocolate chip cookie, you did a great job with these ones girly. They look perfect! I’ve never used marzipan, isn’t it an almond paste or something? Anyhoo, I have a couple of recipes I make using canola oil and maple syrup and they are hits with all who consume them.

• tofuparty

Mmm, I think I’m also going to like both. The combination marzipan/chocolate always works for me.

Oh my goodness, those white chocolate cookies look so absolutely incredible! They look like maybe they’d enjoy a teensy itsy little bit of lemon zest, too. These pictures make me drool!

Mihl, these look delicious! Especially the dark chocolate chunk ones. I love chips, but chunks are much better!

Now that I think about it, I don’t really make “regular” chocolate chip cookies. This is probably because I have a habit of throwing chocolate chips into every kind of cookie. I think it’s time to try your recipe, and make a real chocolate chip cookie!

• Boris

A yummy marzipan-choc-cookie recipe and the oven on the fritz.

I hate my life. :(

Thank you for these recipes!!! I am always looking for creative ways to incorporate more marzipan into my diet! :-)

• Stefanie

Ohhh, I really like the look of those white chocolate marzipan ones, they look so tender! (I must admit I have never really seen the appeal of the American style cookies, as I like my cookies softer than that)

They both look awesome. I made some cookies with chocolate chips and marzipan chunks a while back and they were so good, I love marzipan! Must try it with white chocolate – love that idea.