Cinnamon Cereal Muffins

Bread and muffins, bread and muffins…recognize a pattern here? Well, carbs (especially wheat) still rule my world!

Last week we had two little guests over who insisted they could eat nothing else but sugar ladden cinnamon cereal for breakfast. I tried to offer rice syrup sweetened granola instead but with no success.

Cinnamon Cereal

So now that we have this HUGE box of cinnamon cereal at home, I suddenly remembered why I stopped buying that kind of stuff and reach for a bowl of oats and fruit instead every morning. Like the kids, I can eat that stuff by the boatload, too.

While I was munching on a couple of cereal pieces, I thought that they would be great in a muffin. And they were:

Cinnamon Cereal Muffins

Cinnamon Cereal Muffins (12 muffins)

120 g (1 cup) whole wheat flour
120 g whole barley flour (1 cup) (whole wheat or spelt works fine here)
50 g (1/4 cup) raw sugar
1/2 packed teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

300 ml (1 1/4 cups) soy milk
1 tablespoon ground flax-seed
60 g (1/4 cup) unsweetened soy yoghurt
60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
2 tablespoons barley malt syrup (molasses or maple syrup are a good substitute)

65 g (1 1/4 cups, divided) cinnamon cereal (any other sturdy cereal or even granola should be fine)

Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or grease with oil. Set aside. Preheat oven to 180C (350F).

In a large bowl sift together flours, sugar, zest, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, combine soy milk, flax-seed, and yoghurt. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add vegetable oil and syrup. Stir wet into dry ingredients until combined. Don’t overmix the batter. Carefully fold in 1 cup of cereal. Pour batter into muffin tins. Decorate with remaining cereal. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Let cool in pans for five minutes, remove muffins and let cool completely.

Serve these for breakfast or as a snack

Ooh, those look really good!

• Danielle

What a fun idea! Have you had Puffins cereal from Barbara’s Bakery? I’m sure their cinnamon and peanut butter varieties would be awesome in these muffins!

I wish we had something like Puffins here in Germany. They sound amazing!

Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe – it’s like a healthier vegan version of one of those trendy cereal-laden Momofuku treats that folks in NYC are loving. (I agree, those crunchy sweet cereals are addictive!)

Sorry for not stopping by since a while ago. I suppose I’ve missed a lot of things, because you even changed the design :D I love the new look: very fresh and perfect for summer ;)

And I love the idea of the poll on the sidebar :) Sometimes we bloggers try to guess what our readers would like to read, but we don’t realize that it’s much easier to ask it straight.

I used to eat (and love) exactly this kind of morning cereals :) They were our favorites when we were little, and we could devour them in unhealthy amounts too.

I remember that we tried to teach our dog to give us the paw giving to her some cereals as a reward everytime. Then our mum told us off because she could finish with eyesight problems (sugar is very dangerous for dogs).
    So we substituted them with (almost) sugar free morning cereals.

I try not to buy them for the same reason: they’re addictive. Granola with nuts and fruits is just much healthier.

But I like the idea of adding it to muffins :) After all, we can indulge ourselves from time to time ;)

What a great way to use up cereal!

• wow this is the best idea ever!!! so creative. bet the muffins tasted really great too! i like how you were able to accomodate your guests so well =)

These look great! I used to love that cinnamon cereal when I was a kid, but now I can’t even remember what it is called. Anyways, I don’t think they sell it in Australia. But the idea of sweet cereal on top of muffins is just genius.

Oooh those look great! I might have to borrow some of my roommate’s cereal to make those…

I totally understand – when Guppy wants sweet cereal I cannot let myself have some or I’ll eat it too! Beautiful muffin idea.

you are so clever!

• eatavegan

YUM! Those look absolutely fantastic and would, I’m sure, bring me back to my childhood in an instant!
    I’m probably a little slow on the uptake since it’s been too long since I’ve made my blog rounds, but I am LOVING your site redesign. Looks awesome!

Wow, those look amazing!

AWESOME looking muffins mihl!

So cute and sounds delicious!

i haven’t had sugary cereal in over a decade (or more!), but i cannot tell a lie. i could eat like 10 of these awesome muffins! must haves!

This is the one sugary cereal we have in the house, and I can’t wait to make these. Love the idea of two breakfast foods put together like this.

Oh Mihl, those look absolutely delish! Now I think I would like to to make a breakfast muffin out of Lucky Charms or Count Chocula! (I have a sugary breakfast cereal weak spot, too!)

Seriously, I can’t even keep this sort of cereal in the house because I can go through a box in a day, and now you had to go and make it even -more- addictive?! This could be one dangerous recipe here…

I could eat that stuff by the boatload too! A muffin seems like the perfect solution.

such a tasty & wonderful idea, Mihl! your cinnamon cereal muffins are too cute & too awesome! totally gonna have to try something like this – and might i add that i dig me some carbs as well & love the bread-muffin pattern you’ve got go’n on. yay!

Oooh that cereal looks fantastic and I love the crunchy sweetness it must add to the muffins! This is such a clever and delicious idea, thanks!

My niece and nephews would love this idea. It looks the menu is planned for our next slumber party. Thanks Mihl!

Ah, I just love kid´s cereal :) lately I´ve been trying to clean out my pantry and I think I just found the perfect recipe idea for using up my Kellog´s!

On a different note: please check out my latest post – there´s a little surprise waiting for you ;)

Enjoy your evening!! xoxo Mel

Great idea, they look fab.

What a great idea! I’ve got to see how much of Celine’s Salty Sweet Oats I have left; I’m sure they would be terrific in those muffins.

What a grand idea! I eat sugary cereal way too much, too, when the boyfriend buys a box. Much better to put it in something constructive.

Haha, what a great idea! There is currently an overdose of cereal at my workplace, maybe here is an idea for them..

Those look delicious! I have fond childhood memories of when that kind of cereal became widely available. Now, though, I’d prefer to eat it in a more grown-up, baked fashion. They look wonderfully cinnamony!

• tofuparty

You’ve got me. I’ve got a big carb addiction. That’s why you got my vote for muffins, cakes, … Keep them coming.

I also stopped buying sugary cereal awhile back, but used to loooove a certain cinnamon cereal that looks very much like the one you used here. Making muffins with them sounds so awesome! I’m not a huge muffin fan, but I could see myself getting addicted to eating these.