Simple Recipe: Pasta and Lentils

Rishta bi addas

Most people will probably tell you, rice and beans are their favourite filling and cheap staples. Mine are lentils and pasta. A while ago I bought the German version of this cookbook, filled with amazing Moroccan, Turkish and Lebanese recipes. There’s a lot of meat involved, but many recipes are easily veganized or they are already vegan. Like rishta bi addas, Lentils with pasta and caramelized onions. It has only five ingredients, if you don’t count salt and pepper and I bet you have most of them on hand. I changed the Lebanese recipe by cutting out most of the oil (the recipe calls for 6-7 tablespoons of olive oil) and to balance this out, I added a bit of lemon juice and cumin. My version makes one large serving or two small servings. You can also serve it as part of your mezze plate.

Pasta with Lentils and Caramelized Onions
1 teaspoon oil
1 large onion (mine was about 150 g), cut into thin strips
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
50 g (1/4 cup) brown lentils
4 cups water
50 g (about 2 oz.) pasta (the original recipe calls for tagliatelle, I used gemelli)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Heat the oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Cover the pan with a lid and let the onions caramelize, over medium to low heat, for about 20 minutes. Make sure to stir them from time to time. If they stick to the pan, deglaze with some cooking liquid from the lentils. Add cumin and lemon juice at the end of cooking time.
Place lentils in a large pot and add water. Bring to a boil and cook until al dente. Add pasta to the pot. When the pasta is done, drain pasta and lentils and mix with onions. Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley. Serve immediately.

Lentils and pasta is a winning combination and so filling too.

Also, I love the new layout!

I have eaten lentils and rice toghether many times, but never tried to mix pasta with lentils: And don’t know why, because it’s sounds good :D

I still have some kamut pasta in my pantry (kamut is incredibly high in nutrients and is 15% protein) that I can mix with beluga black lentils.

Well, when I can eat solids again (brackets adjustment, this time with annoying elastic bands T.T)

PS: Usually I call it muesli too, but I used the original Zlamushka’s title for the recipe. Actually, it’s called muesli both in Russian and in Spanish :)

That sounds like a wonderful variation! I hope you feel better soon!

• Kala

Yum, sounds delicious!

This is a very fancy new-look blog, Mihl! Very smart indeed!

I must try lentils and pasta… A friend made it for me once and it was ******* awful, so it put me off, but your recipe looks so good that I’m going to get over it and give this a try!

i’ve seen so many good pasta and lentil dishes lately! yum!

• veganistan

I looove pasta and lentils and I have to admit, I put a lot of oliveoil in it! This is a tipical dish during ramadan. Its easy, delicious and very nourishing!
    Really like your new photos btw..<3

I love lentils, AND pasta! This looks fabulous!

Seriously stunning photo! I make a very similar dish when I want something quick and filling, but it never looks quite so enticing as this. :)

Mm, I love pasta and lentils. I often make a vegan bolognese sauce with lentils, but never though to add caramelized onions. Sounds delicious.

This sounds delicious. I think I’ll give it a go with rice, which I have far too much of around here so need to use up :) hope the weather’s as glorious for you as it is here in the UK x

Thanks, Mihl! I’m sincerely flattered that you’d try my variation. I’m loving your new layout, by the way. And that pasta looks sooooo good right now.

I love the simplicity of it!

You’ve read my mind with this post. I love love love lentils, I adore pasta, and I worship caramelized onions. You’ve done it again, another recipe I’ve just GOT to make! This looks delicious!

Oooh this looks so good. Lentils and caramelized onions are always a match made in heaven.

I just adore simple recipes like this one–and you’re right, I do have all the ingredients on hand! Looks delicious. This is my next pasta! :)

Oh, this reminds me of a dish I used to eat in Iran, though it was rice and lentils. But the caramelized onion, and the delicious mix of flavors? Totally there! I must make some soon…

we always have more lentils in our pantry than we know what to do with. lentils & pasta is a combination i’ve never tried, but i’d sooo love to! cheap, easy, and oh-so delicious, Mihl! what’s not to love?! i could eat pasta every day and caramelized onions, too?!?! sign me up! yum!

Mihl! I love this in its simplicity and beauty! What a great photo, too. Nothing beats a great dish of pasta. Just a lovely dish! (BTW, I noticed the changes to your blog and just wanted to say, LOVE it!)

Thank you Kelly! I’m still working on the layout.

Great appetizing dish you have there. I’m always looking for Legume based recipes…and this one suits me just fine;o)
    This is my first time visiting. Just so that you know, I’m much closer to being a vegetarian than a vegan. I do very much enjoy incorporating what’s best from both worlds. Lately, I posted a Meatless Monday article and was pleased with the responses. Seems that many are willing to change their habits.
    Thanks for your recipe and flavourful wishes, Claudia

Gorgeous photo, is this from the new camera? (saw your tweet) This pasta sounds awesome!

What a seriously beautiful photo! I can’t believe I have never tried lentils and pasta before- I will now! Thank you…

Lovely! I haven’t tried lentils with pasta before either. I know what I’ll be having for dinner tonight!!

i love the savory taste of lentils… i can never have enough recipes using them. and i’m always looking for new pasta dishes to spice up the menu!

I love adding lentils to pasta dishes. I make pasta with lentil-tomato sauce pretty often and everyone loves it. I like that your recipe has a Lebanese spin on it, I’m going to bookmark it.

I, too love lentils and pasta. When you talked about cutting the oil, I had to laugh. I had a friend who could make one vegan dish — lentils and pasta — and it was truly delicious. When I finally got the recipe, I saw it had 1/2 cup of olive oil to serve four. No wonder it tasted so good. Your recipe sounds delicious, and much less oily!

This sounds so hearty and delcious! The simplicity of the recipe is such a plus.