Crusty Yeast Bread

I roasted myself today. Well, not really. But I decided that 33°C (90°F) outside wasn’t enough. I wanted the same temperature in my kitchen. Okay, that is not true. I don’t tolerate heat very well. (Right now I am contemplating about a trip to the North of Norway to cool me down.) All I wanted was some fresh bread. And indeed,  after the loaf came out of the oven I had managed to bring the kitchen temperature up to almost 90°F. Anyone up for a sauna party at my place? Anyway, the bread was worth all the sweating!

crusty bread

Crusty Bread (makes 1 loaf)

400 g all-purpose flour
90 g dark rye flour
10 g diastatic malt powder (or 10 additional grams of flour)
10 g salt
1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
320 ml water

I did prepare the dough the night before and stored it in the fridge. This isn’t necessary, you can also mix the ingredients, knead until elastic and let sit until doubled in size.
If you do store it in the fridge, let the dough come to room temperature before shaping. This takes about two hours.
The diastatic malt powder is optional, it will give the crust an extra dark colour and a little bit of sweetness.

This bread has an awesome crumb which is the result of a special shaping technique:

Crumb Swirl

Roll out the dough into a rectangle (As thin as possible is best). Brush with olive oil and roll into a log. Shape the log like you would shape an individual cinnamon roll. Cover with an oiled piece of plastic or a damp kitchen towel and let rise until doubled (In the warm kitchen this took 45 minutes.) Meanwhile preheat the oven to 250°C (480°F). Bake bread for 5 minutes and reduce heat to 200°C (400°F) and bake for another 30 minutes.

Look at this swirl

This entry was submitted to Susan’s YeastSpotting.

• […] Crusty Yeast Bread […]

What a gorgeous crust! This bread looks incredible!

I keep warming my kitchen up, too, but it’s so worth it!

You make the most beautiful breads!! Your home must have smelled amazing! I too, cannot tolerate heat – I am ready for October.

• veganhomemade

Stunning! Your breads always look beautiful, but I think this may be the best yet.

What a gorgeous loaf! I see it in my future, once the temperature is down a bit. :)

Ahh, you always make me miss bread so much! This one is simply stunning… you are magical with dough!

hot kitchens = good food. :) that bread is making me drool. i love the super crusty crust. so, when are you opening your own bakery?

It’s always like a sauna in my kitchen too. It’s really hot out, but I can’t keep myself away from the kitchen. Your bread looks well worth the extra heat.

That crust looks absolutely incredible!

I braved the oven today for a good cause, too. Your blueberry white chocolate chip muffins!

Delicious looking bread! Great pictures.

I’m up for a sauna party if it means I get to eat some of your yummy crusty bread! That indeed looks very crusty, I am going to have to try your giant cinnamon roll technique when we go back home. *sigh* I miss my oven.

PS: I’m so glad you like my new layout! :)

Wow! That bread looks so amazing! I love how it looks from the top view!!

beautiful! and you are so dedicated for baking bread in this heat, I have considered it, but just end up making smoothies.

Looks wonderful. I’m also averse to excessive heat, but even in the middle of a sweltering summer, there are times when the whole house suffers for the sake of freshly baked bread.

• amaziiiiiing! i love the beautiful swirl and that crunchy looking crust!

Well, I’m going to have to come and kidnapp you if jojo isn’t.

You’re by far the best vegan bread baker I’ve encountered. Stunning!

Well, thank you. If the temperature is under 25°C where you are, you won’t even have to kidnap me. I’ll fly and bring a suitcase full of bread.