Yeasted Zucchini Pie with Herbed Pepita Cream Cheese Filling

Yes, why, I don’t use my bat cutters only for Halloween

Right now it’s that time of the year again when a lot of bloggers complain about mountains of zucchini. I also got some squashes as big as baseball clubs. I was able to use up almost half a zucchino monster for this pie recipe. For a change, I made a yeasted crust instead of the usual short crust. I also made a cream cheese filling that matches well with the zucchini, both when it comes to colour and taste. It’s made from tofu, herbs, and pepitas.

Yeasted Zucchini Pie with Herbed Pepita Cream Cheese Filling

For the crust:

250 g bread flour
160 ml water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Combine all ingredients for the crust and knead until the dough is elastic and doesn’t stick anymore. Add more flour or water if necessary. Cover and let sit for one hour to rise.

Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Grease a 27 cm (11 inch) pie plate. Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough into a disk, about 1/3 larger than your pie plate. Transfer dough to the pie plate, press into the pan, and cut off excess dough from the sides. Roll those dough leftovers into a disk again and cut out your favourite shapes with a cookie cutter. Set aside.

A slice of warm pie. It’s only 17°C outside.

To make the filling:

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated onion
2 teaspoon miso
2 teaspoon mustard
40 scrapes nutmeg
200 g zucchini (7.1 oz), grated
1 tablespoon chickpea flour (or corn starch or soy flour)
pepper to taste

Combine pepitas, garlic, herbs and 3 tablespoons water in a food processor and process into a paste. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Pour on top of the crust.

For the topping:

260 g (9.3 oz) zucchini, thinly sliced
oil for brushing
salt, pepper, and paprika for seasoning

Arrange zucchini slices on top of the pie. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Decorate with the remaining dough and brush with oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.

This pie makes 6 large slices (as shown above) or 12 small ones, perfect for a pot luck:

Garnished with fresh chives

OH MY WORD – this looks awe-mazing-ing. Truly.

I am blown away by your creativity yet again! I just love pepitas but can never think of anything to with them, besides sprinkle them on the odd salad or loaf of bread. I’m absolutely bookmarking this for when I get home- and it’s even a perfect way to use up more zucchini! Can’t wait to try it :)

Definitely been away too long, but got a delicious eye-full looking at all of the amazing things you’ve been making recently! I love zucchini and this looks really great. The bats make me happy :)

• jrsimon56

So much protein…and looks gorgeous!

That looks totally AMAZING. I love the bat cutouts on top! I bet that filling tasted spectacular. What a gorgeous pie!

You are on such a roll lately! I think I’ve starred the last eight of your posts for safe-keeping. I bet this tastes amazing, and to echo everyone else, it’s always great to have an extra zucchini recipe on hand. Thanks for sharing!

Oh yum! I love the idea of a thin yeasted pie crust. And the tofu filling looks really flavorful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Love the bats! And this recipe looks yummy.

Can I ask what may seem to be an ignorant question? I have just converted to vegetarianism, (so actually I am pretty ignorant at present) and to be honest a lot of the recipes I’ve seen seem to be “heavier” than the way I used to eat (not that I will ever eat meat again!), with all the tofu, sauteeing etc. I can see me putting weight on very easily. Is there a way to avoid this?

• kirsten

love the bats on the pie. Super awesome!

I nominated you for an award :)

What a wonderful recipe and will be sooo much nicer than a pizza.

Just to let you know, although I never seem to visit much, I am getting the emails of your terrific posts and I read and save them all. The info is much appreciated :))

Thank you, Jackie! I am glad you enjoy reading them.

I’ll start out by saying the photos are amazing and the pie looks delish! Anyways what do you use for the smoked tofu? Do you use a smoker and do a few blocks of tofu at a time? or use liquid smoke? or some premade smoked tofu?

Thank you! I use plain old premade smoked tofu.

What a beautiful pie! I love the bright green, and you know I *LOVE* the batty top! :D

That sounds delicious! I am very interested by this yeasted pie crust idea. I have been getting better with yeast doughs lately, so I may havr to experiment with something like this! Oh, and I love the little bats on top of the pie.

That looks delicious, and I love the bats on top, like a playful contrast to the meticulously arranged zucchini slices. I’ve made a zucchini pie back in my pregan days that I liked, but this one looks and sounds much better.

This looks SO gorgeous! Can I come over and have some?

Wow, that pie is BEAUTIFUL! You always make your food very visually appealing! It looks perfect!!!

I’ve never grown my own food or really lived anywhere where people do grown their own food, but I am obsessed with the idea and can’t wait to move somewhere that I can make it a possibility. I’m reading a lot about it now, and I just learned that squash and zucchini invade people’s lives every summer and they don’t even know what to do with all the excess produce! How delightful!

I’m glad you’ve found a way because it looks absolutely delicious. A yeasted pie crust would be such a great flavor contrast with the zukes, amazing.

Mmmm yummy – this looks and sounds amazing! Pepitas are sunflower seeds over here.

Such a beautiful pie! I was admiring the pictures on Flickr the other day, so I’m happy to see the recipe. It sounds so good… and the bats! I love this idea.

This looks amazing! What a great idea and combination. I especially love the bats… ;) Maybe I’ll have to use hedgehogs instead.

A yeasted pie crust is an interesting idea, and one that is most certainly delicious! I have to try it. And that filling sounds fabulous! That makes for one more recipe on the list of reasons to get myself a food processor…

That’s really lovely! I love the combination of textures, and this is truly a fantastic way to get rid of extra zucchini. I wish I still knew people who grew them! As a side note, I think I’m going to try your yeasted plum cake recipe that I know is int those archives somewhere….

du lieber Gott, the bat cookies don’t even have to bat their eyelashes at me to make me fall in love.

Those cute little bat cookie cutter shapes are adorable.
    What a lovely looking pie. :)

Sounds like a fair trade to me :) Wow this pie looks fantastic. I may have to pack boxes for you one day so you’ll make it for me.

• Kathy Hester (geekypoet)

I love the bats! I have a huge Gothic dinner every Halloween, so it won’t be long before I pull mine out from the cupboard.

Who wouldn’t want to be in possession of a glut of zucchini with a recipe like this on hand?

That looks yummy and I love the cookie cutter you used :)

I am going to make this tomorrow or this coming week! I also have monster sized zucchini! :D

We have a glut of zucchini (or courgettes.as we call them here)! This pie looks so good… But what is pepita?
    I love the wee bats on top. Not so keen on the real thing, I have to admit… :(

Pepitas are green pumpkin seeds.