Asian Inspired Dumplings, Potatoes Family Style, and Muffins!

A while ago I started experimenting with dumplings. Since I’ve been buried in work, it took my a while to write this post down. I also had a hard time finding my cooking notes, books and papers are covering every single centimetre of my room. I am glad you can only see my neat blog posts and not the mess around our computer.

I made another batch of Serviettenknödel, this time I used 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, 1 chopped stalk of lemongrass and 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger instead of the parsley. These Asian herbs and spices would never make their way into traditional German or Czech dumpings, but I am glad I made the experiment, they were amazing:

My grandmother used to cut op leftover dumplings and fry them. This way the get crispy and you’d never think you’d be eating leftovers.

I served the dumplings with steamed vegetables in an amazing hot peanut sauce. For this sauce ally you’ve got to do is combine some ingredients in a food processor, process, pour over the vegetables and cook for several minutes until creamy.

Hot Peanut Sauce (one serving)

1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1-2 Thai chilis, chopped
2 stalks of cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons chopped ginger
1 stalk chopped lemongrass
60 ml (1/4 cup) oat cream
2 tablespoons water
salt to taste

Process all ingredients, pour over steamed vegetables (I used green beans and sliced carrots), cook for five minutes until thickened. Done. Serve with dumplings.

By the way, have you ever seen this kind of cilantro? I asked my Asian grocer if they were out of cilantro and she told me she only had “this other kind of cilantro”. Apparently it is Vietnamese:

Vietnamese cilantro

I used the sauce for some steamed broccoli, which was served with my grandmother’s and mother’s famous fried potatoes. These potatoes are like home fries, but they are rather steamed than fried. In German we call them “Schmorkartoffeln” (probably braised potatoes) as opposed to “Bratkartoffeln” (fried potatoes). The potatoes are cut into thin rounds. Then they are thrown into the oiled pan raw not cooked like “Bratkartoffeln”. Then you put a lid on top of your pan and slowly steam and fry the potatoes for about 40 minutes. They’ll get really soft with lots of crispy bits. I usually fry up an onion and some garlic cloves before I add the potatoes and reduce the heat to low. Right before serving, I add some parsley:

Mamas und Omas Schmorkartoffeln

My mother and grandmother make them with lots of oil. Theirs are always crispier than mine because I only use a teaspoon of oil. But both versions are equally delicious. I also had them with some more fried dumplings. This is definitely the right kind of food for cold and rainy days:

It’s important to use waxy potatoes, otherwise they will fall apart completely.

And for dessert, I made a batch of these redcurrant oatmeal muffins:

Redcurrant-Oatmeal Muffins

Oh my gosh! Everything in this post looks SO good. I wish I had the time and patience to make it all. Seriously! I am German/Polish/Hungarian so all of these foods are rich in my culture and background. MmMMMMmmm!

Those dumplings sound so freaking good! Seriously…my mouth is watering.

• Veglicious

I think the cilantro is what we call Vietnamese mint in Australia.
    It’s not really minty, tastes more like cilantro but spicier.

The food looks great! I want to make the dumplings.

these look so good! leftover dumplings are so yummy fried up!

I am also loving the square muffins you have, so nice.

I am going to have to try these dumplings of yours. They look superb. As do the potatoes. Sounds like perfect food as we move into autumn…

Oh I forgot to ask, would it be terrible if I had to use dried currants instead of fresh for those muffins? They look too good to resist!

Dried currants (zante currants) and redcurrants (ribes rubrum) are not the same fruit. But I’m sure you can use them as a substitute.

• jodye717

Everything looks wonderful, especially the potatoes and those adorable muffins! I adore currants, but they’re very rare to find around here.

I seriously need to come eat at your house.

It’s a cold and rainy day today… those all look delicious. I am a potato addict, and that just sounds amazing. And the dumplings. And the peanut sauce… Can I borrow you for the day?? ;)

I adore peanuts and peanut butter! :) I don’t know where I can find oat cream. Do you think I could substite it with coconut or soy milk?

My mum usually cook her potatoes this way, and she always use way more oil than I do. More fat loaded, but it’s the perfect comfort food. It has been raining and thundering here for the last two days. After four months of unbearable heat, lower temperatures are highly welcomed. But the rain is a little annoying when you have to cross all the city and then sit for four hours in class with soaked feet >.<

Sure, you can use soy milk, coconut milk or soy cream.

I still remember the oil drenched potatoes my grandmother made. Yours look spectacular!

I don’t think I’ve ever had dumplings!
    I, too, adore the shape of your muffins. I’ve seen such a pan on amazon, so if anyone wonders (and to avoid giving links and landing in spam), enter “Fat Daddio’s 12-Cup Square Muffin Pan” on the site or in google. I believe they have other brands on there too, but it’s the one that came up first.

Thanks, Celine! And about those dumplings…adding them to meetup to do list :)

A girl after my own heart! Dumplings are one of my very favorite foods, and that plate looks AMAZING!!! What a great way to use leftovers. Yum!

Haha don’t worry about it. I understand the AM coffee fix need. I set my coffee maker before I go to sleep so that it’s ready when I wake up.
    Anyway…
    Thank you :) I do my best to explain my methods, so I’m glad they’re understandable. These dishes all look great!

what is oat cream?

The same as soy cream(er), just made with oat milk. I use the oatly brand.

I can’t imagine having leftover dumplings but if I did, frying them sounds like a great idea. The potatoes look awesome and I think I’ll steam-fry some tonight. I think that’s the way I usually cook them but seeing them on your blog makes it seem like something new to try. And no, I’ve never seen cilantro like that. Did it taste like cilantro? It looks kind of like sorrel. (I still think your square muffin tins are cool but I’ve never seen them here.)

The funny thing is, the pan is actually an US American one. Unfortunately I don’t remember the company.

Yes, the Vietanmese Cilantro tastes very similar tho regular cilantro.

Wow, again everything looks amazingly delicious.
    Also, I wanted to write you this for a while but I keep forgetting. I always have troubles when opening your blog. It really take some time before it opens. Maybe more people have this problem. I thought you should know.

Thank you for your comment. I’ve had no other complaints so far. Maybe I can find the problem.

I was recently reminded of how much I love potatoes, and I suspect that those steam-fried potatoes would be high on the list of my favorite ways to enjoy them. Thank you for sharing this technique, I must give it a try!

What a plateful of goodness! The fried dumplings look soo good! You had me at potatoes and parsley though, that is one of my favorite savory food combos.

mihl these look SERIOUSLY AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS IM GOING TO TRY THEM ON THE WEEKEND oxoxo nom!

It’s wonderful when leftovers are just as good (or better!) than the first time around.

Oddly, it seems that each time there is a fruit, vegetable, or herb I don’t recognize, it’s from Vietnam. I think one day I’d like to go there and see all these things.

• veganhomemade

The potatoes look amazing!

Oh my goodness, those potatoes sound amazing! I’m going to have to try them soon.

Those muffins look delicious!

YUM. I love to steam-fry potatoes.

I’ll have to try those dumplings; they sound and look delicious–I like the Asian spin you put on them–especially alongside peanut butter-sauced veggies! I have not seen Vietnamese cilantro before, or maybe I’ve seen it but didn’t know it was cilantro…I’ll have to watch for that, because I’m curious about it now.