Linguine with Basil Parsley Pesto

Our neighbour who has a huge garden always shares some of her produce with us. This time she gave me a huge bag of beets and a boatload of curly parsley. She gave me the tip to freeze it and that’s what I did. Thursday evening, I washed and chopped a ton of parsley and put it in the freezer. I wasn’t done yet when P. suggested to make some parsley pesto. I liked the idea of pesto, but didn’t like the idea of a pesto made with parsley only. Although I really love parsley, the flavour can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. We decided to use half parsley and half basil. We also used cashews and pistachios instead of pine nuts. Definitely the best pesto I have eaten in a long time!

Freshly prepared pesto

Basil Parsley Pesto (makes 3-4 servings)

30 g (1 oz.) parsley
30 g (1 oz.) basil
1-2 cloves garlic
35 g (1/4 cup) roasted pistachios
35 g (1/4 cup) roasted cashews
120 ml (1/2 cup) good quality olive oil
20 g (1/4 cup) nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon lime zest
salt to taste

Place parsley, basil, and garlic in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.Thin out with a tablespoon of water, if necessary.

Serve with linguine or your favourite pasta. We used 2 oz. dry pasta per serving.

We also made a batch of this fantastic pistachio eggplant spread from vegalicious. Go check out the delicious recipe here.

Pistachio eggplant spread from vegalicious

OH! I just got sad that basil season is over when I saw this…!

What a beautiful photo of the pasta! Such vibrant color!

i think the half parsley, half basil was a good choice. it might be too parsley-bitter without? i don’t know, but i think i would have done the same.

omg – thank you for sharing the link to the eggplant-pistachio spread. that looks amazing and i have an eggplant to use right now. heading off to the kitchen!

The basil in my herb garden is all dead now, but I’m filing this away for next year! Pistachios & lime zest in pesto sounds simply divine. :)

Linguini with pesto – one of my favorites! I bet the cashews are terrific with it. I always thought of pesto as being exclusive to basil and pine nuts. Thanks for broadening my view!

really like the idea of using both parsley and basil for pesto :)

So funny, I was going to make a vegan pesto almost exactly like this for my own blog this weekend. Yours looks so good that I don’t think I can’t improve on it!

Thank you! But I’m sure there’s room for improvement.

Mmm, it looks so delicious! It sounds like a tasty combination of nuts and herbs that I haven’t tried before. And as others said, it’s such a pretty green!

Oh yum! I like pesto. Preferably on everything!!! That looks great.

I love pesto!

squeeeeeeeeee! pesto with parsley, pistachios, and cashews sounds wonderful, Mihl! we usually have everything on hand but the pistachios – i’m gonna have to pick some up and make this with the last of our summer’s basil. w00t! totally gonna check out the pistachio-eggplant spread as well. yummers all around!

Ooh, this sounds delicious!

I make pesto from just about every combination of herbs, greens, nuts, seeds, and citrus you can think of…but it never crossed my mind to use pistachios. This looks delicious! I’ll have to give it a try.

Parsley pesto sounds wonderful! I just made up a giant batch of pesto and froze it in ice cube trays to save for winter!

Pasta with pesto is MY FAVORITE! This looks absolutely delicious. I totally agree with you about parsley though. I cut my pesto with half cilantro, or half basil. I find pure parsley too much to take on its own.

This meal really just looks perfect to me! I love pasta AND pesto! A match made in heaven!

Beautifully green! I love that you used pistachios which makes the pesto extra green! :)

I do indeedy eat a bun for breakfast every morning. Probably not the most tratidional, but cereal floating in milk is not my idea of a tasty breakfast! :D

Yum! I just made this.. I was inspired by how brilliantly green it was and of course, how delicious the cashews and pistachios sounded.

You are such a genius. Seriously! Hooray for pesto!

Thank you! I am glad you liked it.

The pesto sounds really good with two types of nuts and basil and parsley. I enjoy pistachios, but I’ve never put them to use as much as I see you doing, but I think I should try to use them more. This looks delicious!

• kirsten

I love parsley!
    I love basil!
    I love pasta!
    YUM!

I have two basil plants and one parsley on my kitchen window, but I’m traveling to visit my parents soon, and there won’t be anyone to water them for a week or two. I was thinking that I should try to make some pesto to use them up before I go – your post couldn’t have come at a more perfect time! :)

Wow! That pasta is so perfectly green. I am a fan of parsley in pesto. I did this kale/parsley/cilantro combo once that was to die for.

The pesto looks delicious! I enjoy the flavor of parsley, too, but I agree, an all-parsley pesto may have been too overwhelming. I also like that you used pistachios and cashews; they seem like a wonderful alternative to pine nuts.

I love the idea of half parsley half basil, and the substitution of pistachios and cashews is a great idea. Not only are pine nuts so expensive, it’s hard to get really fresh ones, and they always taste a little “off” to me.

Another lovely pesto- Which is perfect, because I still have more basil to use up!

That sounds so good right now. I have been making pesto quite a bit lately. It’s funny, years ago I wasn’t a big fan but now I am crazy about it. Your version with pistachios and cashews sounds delicious!