I like cinnamon rolls, but I thought I’d try something different today as I had some more plums lying around. Since we loved the slivovice plum compote so much, I came up with a similar recipe  to fill these buns. I thought that the slivovice already brings out the flavour of the plums really well. But there is another ingredient, which made the filling for these buns come out amazing: fresh rosemary. Once the filling was cooked it reminded me of a dark wood full of conifers. If that doesn’t sound totally weird. These rather earthy flavours are combined with a sweet yeast dough made with dulce de leche. In the end, you don’t taste much of both the dulce de leche and the rosemary anymore. But both ingredients support the other flavours perfectly.

I made another batch of dulce de leche, improving the recipe a bit. I boiled the mixture over medium instead of low heat, halved the sugar and left out the barley malt syrup. This version has a lighter colour and is done in 55 minutes instead of three hours.

Dulce de leche 180 ml full fat coconut milk (3/4 cup) 760 ml soy milk (3 cups + 2 tablespoons) 200 g sugar (1 cup) 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 pinch baking soda (to prevent curdling)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to medium. The mixture will bubble quite a bit and there might be some foam. Stir the mixture often and cook over medium heat until it has reached the desired consistency. Transfer to a glass jar and let cool completely. Store refrigerated for up to one week.

Plum-Blueberry Rolls (makes 8 rolls)

300 g pitted and halved Italian plums (11 oz.) 50 g (1/4 cup) sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 4 tablespoons slivovice* 70 g (1/2 cup) frozen or fresh blueberries 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary 2 tablespoons cold water 2 tablespoons cornstarch * Replace slivovice with rum or apple juice if you don’t have access to the liquor or for a non-alcoholic version.

For the yeast dough:

180 ml soy milk (3/4 cup) 50 g sugar (1/4 cup) 70 g dulce de leche (1/4 cup) 55 g refined coconut oil (1/4 cup) 300 g all-purpose flour (2 1/4 cups) 2 teaspoon instant yeast 1/4 teaspoon salt

Prepare the yeast dough:

Combine soy milk, sugar, dulce de leche, and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Heat until the oil is melted and the dulce de leche is completely dissolved. Make sure the mixture does not boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, and salt. Stir and add dulce de leche mixture. Knead with your hands for about 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth. It will probably still be a bit sticky. Cover the dough and allow to rise for 60 minutes.

Prepare the filling:

In a small saucepan combine plums, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and slivovice. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat until the plums have fallen apart, for about 25 minutes. Check the mixture frequently, making sure it doesn’t burn. Add blueberries, lemon zest, and rosemary and cook for five minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to the compote. Cook for 1 minute until the mixture has thickened:

Let cool. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Roll the dough into a rectangle, about 43 x 28 cm (17 x 11 inch). Spread compote on top leaving a 4 cm (1.6 inch) margin:

Roll the dough into a log, starting with the shorter side:

Cut the log into eight equally thick pieces. Place in a baking dish lined with parchment paper (I used a 18 x 28 cm pan [7 x 11 inch]). Carefully brush the rolls with oil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm.

This entry was submitted to YeastSpotting.

• bjorn

hej, vielen dank für das dulce-leche-rezept; die creme kannte ich vorher überhaupt nicht. ich habe die masse (leider) zu lange kochen lassen – nun sind toffee entstanden. lecker.

Das hört sich aber auch gut an! Hätte nicht gedacht, dass das funktioniert.

• bjorn

ich auch nicht :-D toffee vielen dank für deinen blog

WOW!

• […] I rolled mine thicker, but I’d go thinner next time. They’re pretty awesome and the dulce de leche in particular is super […]

I’m not gonna lie…you just totally blew my mind.

You amaze me with your bread and sweet treats that you come up with. Absolutely amaze me!

• […] Vegan Plume and Bluebery Buns […]

Wow…those buns look fantastic! I can’t wait to give them a try. So pretty.

Thank you :) The “mayo” is pretty darn good. I’ve been eating the leftovers on everything that I possibly can. Try it :)

I made these half an hour ago and they are just amazing. It was such a brilliant idea to add rosemary to the plums. Absolutely delicious.

Dankeschön! Freut mich, dass sie Dir geschmeckt haben!

• taleoftwovegans

YUM! I love cinnamon buns and that sounds like a fantastic riff on the typical version. Also I have decided I need to get on this dulce de leche bandwagon, it looks and sounds so amazing! Really the only thing holding me back is the knowledge that my willpower is weak enough I will likely end up just spooning the majority of the recipe straight into my maw via a spoon! ;)
    -K

YUM this makes me wanna eat my screen :p

Between the dulce de leche, fresh fruits, and unexpected addition of rosemary, these sound to-die for! Move over cinnamon rolls, these may just take the breakfast menu by storm! ;)

I am, as usual, wondering how soon I can fit this into my kitchen rotation! The plums. . . again! This really looks amazing and try-worthy!

So perfect! I don’t even like plums that much and I still want to devour one of these! Thank you for the awesome step-by-step rolling-upping pictures. And YAY for dulce de leche that only takes 55 minutes! :D

oh my god. I can’t believe how incredible those look and sound. Wowza. I want to crawl through the internet fiber optic cables and end up in your kitchen, and eat all those buns. Watch out!

These look amazing. I think I am going to try them because italian plums are in season right now here in germany. We all love zwetschgen ^^

I already though that I had to say goodbye to “dulce de leche” for ever. Now that I know there is a vegan version, I have to add it to my “recipes to try” list :)

Superb. Nice use of the coconut oil in place of butter.

I love your brand new site design! And the dulce de leche looks just like the perfect comforting treat to have at any time of the day and any time of the year :)

• Lori

WOW! Those rolls look amazing! The fruit filling possibilities are endless. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Wow those sound AMAZING! I made the slivovice plums last week and they were so incredibly lekker I couldn’t believe it- big shout out on my blog about them.

That’s awesome, thank you!

I’m so having my eye on your dulche de leche. And now you’re even making it way easier to make. I should give it a try, but I’m scared I will burn the whole thing. Helas, I’m not cooking on gas, but on vitro ceramic and my saucers are really old and bad.

It doesn’t burn very easily, I’m sure it will work out.

What beautiful rolls! I love plums & blueberries together and they look so delicious in the cinnamon roll form.

Those look incredible. They look like cinnamon rolls but the fruit is a great alternative. I bet blueberries taste wonderful with the dulce.

Oh my, I just saw your recipe for vegan dulce de leche! I am so glad to finally find a recipe that uses just basic ingredients that are easy to find (finding things like condensed soy milk is impossible in this dairy-loving country ;)). This really made my day – and I will be sure to make some of this later in the week… ;)

I just stumbled across your blog and it’s nice to see another vegan living in Germany blogging away :) There must have been something in the weather last week cause I baked cinnamon rolls!!! Your pictures look beautiful!

Hi Emmy, yeah I blame it on the cold ;)

WOW! These look and sound absolutely gourmet. You impress me so much with your flavor combinations. They are always so unique and shockingly delicious. You really are amazing! Gorgeous pictures, by the way. :-)

• jrsimon56

my oh my…how does one become such an incredible baker!?! those buns look glorious!

Run away with me?? ;)
    Those look amazing. I can’t wait for plums to be in season here.

These look fantastic. I wish I could make these. I will save them for a later time. I am removing gluten, sugar, and fruit from my diet for a little bit. Great pictures!

Perfection in the shape of a bun! Those look amazing! A couple of hours ago I thought it would be nice to go and buy local plums, but now I *need* to do it…

The rolls look and sound delectable. I love the idea of using plums for the filling. And thank you for reducing the cooking time of the dulche de leche to only 55 minutes. Now there’s a possibility I can make some!

Fabulous! I like regular cinnamon rolls, but I think I would like your version even better. Feel free to come over and make these for me anytime you want! haha

• YUM YUM YUM!!!

I’m speechless – what a beautiful dessert creation. I love the flavour combination. Amazing!!!

• Kelly

Okay, now that you’ve tried it without the barley malt (no gluten for me…) I just have to try my hand at the dulce de leche. Will have to sub cashew milk for the soy, but one sub shouldn’t make such a huge difference. Ooooh. First Orgran comes out with their new vegan, gluten-free pastry mix (I haven’t had a croissant in a loooong time), and now this! I will be big as a house in no time!

Ooh wow that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! The fruit filling is a great idea and a nice twist on the average cinnamon roll. BTW the timing of this revised dulce de leche recipe is perfect, because I just bought coconut milk yesterday specifically for the purpose of turning it into dulce de leche.

omgomgomg.

Those look so amazing girl! I still need to try that dulce de leche of yours!!!!

YUM YUM!