Cabbage Stew

I know this stew doesn’t look like much, but boy, it is delicious! It is something substantial both for your teeth and your belly. Perfect for cold and dark days.

I had a head of savoy cabbage in the fridge, which started to look a bit sad. This morning we went to the market and bought som large chunks of TVP there. I thought about combining the TVP with the cabbage, something like goulash. Well, in the end I didn’t make goulash, but a similarily flavourful stew. Red wine and balsamico pickled pearl onions give this dish a special twist, slightly reminiscent of sauerkraut.

Cabbage stew served with rice.

Cabbage Stew with TVP and Borettane Onions (serves 4)

100 g (3.5 oz) large TVP chunks
2 cups hot vegetable broth

1 tablespoon olive oil
120 g (1 cup) diced celeriac
150 g (3 small) diced onion
200 g (1 large) red bell pepper, cubed
400 g ( 6 cups) savoy cabbage, shredded
180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable broth
120 ml(1/2 cup) red wine
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon smoked hot paprika (or chipotle powder)
10 borettane onions in balsamic vinegar (or other large pearl onions)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
smoked salt to taste

Soak the TVP chunks in hot vegetable broth. Let cool. Drain TVP, reserve 3/4 cup of the broth. Cut TVP into bite-sized chunks, if necessary.

Heat oil in a large pot. Add celeriac, onion, and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat for five minutes. Add cabbage, cover pot and cook for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook for 40 minutes. Serve with brown rice.

• […] a decent way to use a slowly aging head of cabbage by making a flavorful, almost-goulash Cabbage Stew. Looks amazing, and as served over rice, is guaranteed to be belly filling. Time I went out and got […]

I can’t even tell you how delicious this looks! Seriously!

This looks like the most amazing stew I have ever seen! I am making this very very soon- and I just bought a bag of tvp- super stoked!

That looks fantastic. I’m always looking for new stews and new uses for cabbage.

It just happens that (once again) I have half a cabbage head sitting in my crisper – I just never know what to do with all of it. I can’t stand celeriac, but other than that (and I believe it could be left out or replaced with some other vegetable?), this stew looks and sounds like a perfect way to use it up. :)

Sure, you can leave it out or use whatever you want instead (carrots, potaotes,…).

would you like to blog this recipe on your german blog too? must be fantastic and i would like to try it!

• Sarah S.

I think you underestimate this stew when you said it doesn’t look like much. I am a total cabbage addict. I am always making soups but never stews really, I need to change that. I am happy to follow your lead on this one, sounds perfect.

I had way too much cabbage this summer that, um, well, didn’t make it into anything this delicious. I’ll have to remember this when I get hit with cabbage again next summer. Looks so warming and comforting!

I love anything with cabbage and that looks great…I’ve never actually tried the TVP chunks, only the little crumbles, but those look tempting!

This is great! We always end up with extra cabbage lying around… welcome to Germany I guess! I will keep this in mind for the next time.

This looks wonderful! I am always looking for new kinds of stews. :)

What a delicious looking stew! I love cabbage in everything and this looks perfect for winter.

oh… looks like cabbage and that looks like love. :) i agree with Vic – let’s bring TVP back!

This sounds like something my mum would cook up in the winter to keep us warm! Delicious. But it’s not “rose”? Ma vie en choux? It doesn’t sound as pretty… ;)

TVP is so under used! I love it in this recipe. It seem like it would add the perfect texture!

This stew looks great to me. I love celariac, and combining with cabbage sounds yummy. I think I’d add olives to mine instead of the pearl onions. If I can find celariac at the farmers market today, I might just make this for dinner.