Cookbook Review: More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts

Hi everyone,

my third week of Vegan MoFo starts with another book review. Fran Costigan’s baking book was sent to my by the book publishing company.

More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally was published in 2006 when you couldn’t choose from a lot of different vegan dessert books like you can these days. It covers all the recipes you would want to see in a good baking book: cookies and bars, muffins, biscuits and crisps, cakes, pies and tarts. Even beverages, frozen desserts, and confections are included.

Something that makes the book rather special even today is the fact that the recipes are healthier than your average cake or cookie. Whole wheat flour and natural sweeteners like maple syrup are the ingredients used most often. Many recipes are low in fat, too. And they don’t call for processed ingredients like margarine or cream cheese. After I had read through the book, I found myself with a long list of recipes to try: peanut butter cookies, apple walnut cobbler, oat and jam muffins, big orange bundt cake, rustic four berry pie, sweet apple and streusel pie, oats sunday, and coconut sorbet. The first recipe I made though was the Cinnamon-Walnut Un-Coffeecake.

This cake tastes great! But the filling is what will make you go back for more.

We made this cake as a birthday surprise for a friend and it was a huge success. The cake is very easy to throw together, it’s a simple, cinnamon and nutmeg spiced cake with a walnut cinnamon filling. Because of the spices it is a great autumn or winter treat, great for a cold and dark evening. The combination of walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon reminded me of the candied nuts  I like to buy at Christmas markets or fairs. The filling adds a warm caramel flavour that makes this treat very, very addictive. The cake was shared with several people and we got a lot of compliments, which of course we have to forward to Fran!

The recipes in this book are very easy to prepare and Fran Costigan includes lots of great tips. This way you can learn how to make a flaky pie crust or which steps are necessary for great cookies.  A list of ingredients used in the book is provided and the author takes the time to explain some of these ingredients as well, for example you’ll learn about the difference between certain sweeteners. I think this is a really great book both for beginner and advanced bakers. I looking forward to try some more recipes soon! And of course I will share the pictures with you.

That sounds delicious! I know I would have definitely gone back for more. I love books that have “healthier” dessert recipes.

Fran is fantastic! Her training as a pastry chef is obvious in the tested and retested recipes in her book. I love starting a recipe trusting the results will be delicious.

Mmm looks luscious! That’s a lucky friend.

The filled cake sounds good – perfect for fall. It sounds like this cookbook is still a great choice among all the others available these days. I can’t wait to see what you make next!

I keep reading good things about this book, and the recipes seem like the kind I would like to make (and eat). Thanks for this very informative review — I’m going to look for this cookbook.

i love it. with the holidays coming up, everyone expects me to bust out the vegan baked goods. i need a good baking cook book to call on!

Excellent first selection, I’ve had my eye on that recipe for ages. Time to get to it!

Oh wow, my go-to PB cookie recipe is Fran Costigan’s so I’m sure this book is great!

• Stefanie

That looks like a great cookbook. Another one to add to my wish list.

Thank you so much for this delicious review! And thank you all for the complimentary comments. I love this cake. You can see individuals on my FB page. The uncoffeecake-wonder why I named it so- I do drink coffee, was my signature cake at Angelica Kitchen. It’s moist and not too sweet. I thank you all for supporting my work and my book. Please tell your friends. Good holiday recipes too!

I’ve only heard great things about that one! The cakes I see from Fran’s cookbook always look so beautiful. Can’t wait to see what else you make!

easy to prepare, delicious, and a little more healthy than traditional desserts too – so awesome! the cinnamon-walnut un-coffeecake is gorgeous, Mihl – what a beautiful and delicious birthday treat for your friend!

What a nice cake to bake for a friend. So glad it turned out great. I can’t wait until I receive my copy of this by the same company.

Mmm I want coffee cake (or un-coffee cake)! Looks delicious!