Crispy Cherry Muffins

Did you see all the latest awesome muffin posts on Have Cake, Will Travel? Celine has been baking mountains of them. Since I am not able to sneak into her house and steal some, I decided I needed to bake some muffins myself. I like baking muffins so much because it is really hard to screw them up once you figured out the ratio of the ingredients. Another thing I like about muffins is that they come in a perfect serving size and that you can freeze them so easily to have some snacks waiting for you in the freezer all the time.

This week spring clearly won over winter, we have had an abundance of sun and I felt so confident about the weather that I went out with my winter jacket on but without a shawl. Yeah, I like taking risks. While walking around I dreamt about picking fresh cherries from a tree but that won’t happen before July or August. Fortunately you can find last year’s cherries everywhere: home preserved with lots of love and stored in a huge dark and chilly cellar in glass jars on the supermarket shelves. I don’t know about your country, but here most store bought cherries are sour cherries. In these muffins the sour and juicy fruits go so well with warm spices like cinnamon and with a sweet and crunchy sugar topping.

Crispy Cherry Muffins (makes 12)

80 g (6 tablespoons) refined, non-hydrogenated coconut oil, melted
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
360 ml ( 1 1/2 cups) vanilla soy milk
300 g (2 1/2 cups) flour (I used half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour)
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
150 g (1 cup) drained canned sour cherries
25 g (2 tablespoons) brown sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Grease your muffin tins or like with muffin liners.

In a bowl combine oil, sugars, and soy milk. Whisk until well mixed.

In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Pour Wet ingredients into dry and mix well. Fold in cherries. Pour into prepared pans and lightly sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for five minutes. Remove from pan and let cook on a rack.

Merken

• Meike

i’ve just tasted one… little bit warm – right out of my oven…. YUM :)

Hi Meike, thank you for your feedback. Glad you liked them.

• Luciana

These muffins look perfect! Cherries always remind me of summer, and these could be a perfect pick-me-up! Also, muffins with cinnamon and a crunchy top–yes, please!

I MADE THESE! They were fantastico. My friends loved them too, especially the cherry cinnamon combo. Great recipe!

That’s great to hear! Thank you for your feedback.

Bring those muffins you made and I give you and Panda our spare room.

there will be no B&E in this house, for its door is wide open to the likes of Panda and Mihl. but these square muffins (and all of Mihl’s baking/cooking) have me wonder if we shouldn’t go east rather than west, Panders.

Oooh I even have some sour cherries! These look delicious! Totally making these.

Your square muffins are so cute! And I love pairing cinnamon with cherries, they go together so well.

I am willing to go on a Celine house breaking and entering trip with you!

• […] Crispy Cherry Muffins […]

• Oh, I love tart cherries and I love a portable muffin with my coffee to-go in the morning. I have to make these (and find a square muffin tin, too)!

I love cherries in muffins! This recipe looks great! I will have to give it a try! :)

Cherry is one of my favourite flavours, these look really good – especially with the crispy aspect! Our summer is coming to an end here, but sadly this season there were very few fresh cherries to be had due to various weather events wiping them out. Very sad.

These look delicious. I like your muffin pan, too, and I agree – muffins are great for freezing for later! There’s nothing like having to finish a whole dessert or sweet to keep it from spoiling.

A little taste of spring is such a treat in the last few winter months!

• I love that they’re square! Makes them seem extra special. :)

I REALLY want these muffins. :)

Wow that sounds like a great combination! I don’t often buy coconut oil, is there another common oil you would recommend? I want to make these!

I’m sure regular vegetable oil like canola will work as well.

Your square muffin pan makes the most adorable muffins ever! And I’m sure the cherry muffins that came out of it were delicious too. I love that they come out crispy, too: I really like baked goods that have a bit of a crunch!

i love cherries in things like this! Delicious!

These look scrumptious! I love the idea of using sour cherries. I think I’m going to have to get myself one of those square pans, too!

YUM! They look so delicious.

Cherry muffin? That sounds unique, as unique as zucchini ones… I’ll give it a try sometimes this weekend I guess.

Wow, these look delicious and I LOVE the square shape!

I do have a question on the flax seeds–I’m pretty sure but just wanted to double check that you mean the flax seeds should be ground and not whole?
    Thanks!

Yes, ground. Thank you for pointing that out!

These look and sound fantastic….and will cater to my latest muffin addiction quite nicely! ;-)

I feel like baking mountains of muffins myself, so I’m happy to stumble upon this recipe. Cherry muffins sound unique! I love how they’re square-shaped…so cute :)