Olive Herb Bread

It’s finally spring! At least that’s what my calendar tells me. And it seems to be right. Although the temperatures still climb under 0°C at night, the days are sunny and almost warm. When I was a kid I celebrated spring by planting something. Well, it wasn’t exactly planting. I bought some garden cress seeds, stole some absorbent cotton from the bathroom, put it into a bowl, soaked it with water and added the cress. A couple of days later I had my own fresh edible greens. I guess that most kid gardeners would consider garden cress as the perfect plant for their little window sill garden. It is inexpensive, you don’t need lots of equipment to grow it, you cannot mess it up unless you use boiling water, and you can see some results after only a couple of days. It is a very exiting experience for children and doesn’t require that much patience. If you start your cress garden on Monday, you’ll definitely have some fresh greens for your Sandwich on Friday or Saturday.

Though my childhood now seems to be as far away as the Middle Ages, I can still feel the urge to plant some cress every spring. And so that’s what I did a couple of days ago.

Most of the time I overdo it and after a couple of days I realize that the cress is overtaking the window sill. And even though I adore a sunflower seed spread, cress, tomato, smoked tofu, and cress sandwich, I can only pile a handful of cress onto it. So, what to do? Put it not only onto but also into the bread, I thought. And that was indeed a good idea. The cress adds a peppery note and a hint of green to the bread. Black olives and a handful of fresh basil leaves make this loaf even tastier.

I used German Type 1050 flour, which is medium sifted flour. It is darker and has a higher ash content than white flour. It can be compared to Northern American first clear flour, although it doesn’t have as much protein. Good substitutes are bread flour or white whole wheat flour. If you only have all-purpose flour, that’s totally fine, too.

Olive-Herb Bread (makes one loaf)

Sponge:
200 g T 1050 flour
150 g water
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Dough:
All of the sponge
300 g T 1050 flour
200 g water
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
10 g salt

60 g garden cress
handful of basil leaves, chopped
130 g pitted black olives

To make the sponge, combine flour, water, and yeast and knead until a dough forms. Cover and let rest for 2 1/2 hours.

To make the bread dough, combine the sponge, remaining flour, water, yeast, and salt. Knead well for 10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour. Cover and let sit for an hour or until doubled in size. Add cress, olives, and basil leaves. Knead until well incorporated. Shape into a loaf and transfer to a greased loaf pan. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rest for an hour. Meanwhile preheat oven to 220°C  (430°F). Bake bread for 40 to 50 minutes or until the crust is dark brown and the bread sounds hollow when tapped. let cool completely before slicing.

Wow, this bread has gone straight to my ‘to make’ list!

You always make the best looking food! The olive herb bread looks so delicious!

Mihl, this looks so tasty!
    Few years ago I had some fantastic bread from a small bio shop in Berlin, it was similar to yours, with huge soft, black olives and red paprika powder(not spicy). It was sooo good!
    How about making cress “miso”? And put it on steamed veggies?(mix some cress with 1-2 tablespoons good miso, and add some sukanat sugar). Or brush it on grilled tofu- very japanese. ;-)
    I also sprouted some cress in my garden, but mine is not done yet.

Wow, this looks insanely delicious!!! The photos are so gorgeous, Mihl (as always).

That slice looks so soft, and packed full of olives- in short, amazing! I must admit, it’s been a while since I baked bread… I think that this recipe is just the thing to correct that, though!

You’re a bread genius! I personally would skip on the olives, but watercress in bread sounds really tasty.

• kirsten

Its funny that kids seem to grow sprouts as there first experience in gardening.
    Cool idea to add it to the bread. super healthy!

Oooh, I WANT that!

This looks fabulous. I always have leftover sprouts (that I buy from the grocery store – boo!) and can never find ways to use them. This is a great idea and I am sure I will be using it!

• celyn

Beautiful as ever!

I’m so excited that spring is on it’s way too!!! Spring and Summer in Europe is such a beautiful time. Your bread looks perfect.

Ooooh yummy! I absolutely adore cress and this bread just sounds all kinds of awesomeness.

That is my kind of bread! I absolutely love olives.

I am loving feeling the beginning of spring, too. I remember growing grass seeds in styrofoam cups as a kid. Quick results, but not quite as impressive as your cress.

The olive bread looks amazing. What a pretty picture you have, but the bread slice looks great on its own, too.

Thank you. We used to grow grass for our cats, too. I think they liked it better than cress.

I need to plant some cress!

Oh yum! I can only imagine that the cress makes the bread so so tasty! I think once upon a time I made cress and “cheddar” scones and they were pretty good. One day soon, I will make bread too :)

You gotta tell me more about those scones!

Olive bread is a favorite of mine. And so are sunshine and spring weather — neither of which have been around here for a while. The one sign I cling to is the extra amount of daylight. Can’t complain when it’s still light at 7 p.m.!

We start daylight savings on Sunday. I cannot wait! And I hope you’ll get some warmer weather soon!

I make an olive focaccia which we all love, but I hadn’t thought of adding basil and cress! Next time…

Ah, yes. Cress growing! A cute trick was sprinkling the seeds in the shape of your initial and making a cressy ‘P’ (or whatever…) Actually, I think I’ll get myself some cress seeds and grow some again, now!

That sounds like a great idea! I never thought about the idea of sprinkling it into different shapes.

Damn, that bread looks good. I love bread with olives! I’m not sure I’ve had watercress. I should change that.

I think garden cress and water cress are related but not the same. I am very curious about water cress, too. I never saw it here.

I’ve never heard of cress before but that bread sounds delicious. Does it add a lot of flavour?

Yes, I was very surprised that I could still taste it in the finished loaf.

Olive bread is one of my favorites! This looks perfect, of course!

• Yum! Two of my favorite things: olives and bread. Great marriage. :)

That sounds and looks delicious! I can imagine it being very dense too!

Surprisingly it is not dense at all. The sponge helps a lot to make this bread fluffy, almost sandwich loaf like.