Coconut-Lime Ice Cream & Coconut Waffles

Today we made a little walk and every time we passed an ice cream shop, we saw people lining up in really long queues. In Germany spring means ice cream. Unfortunately the vegan options are not that great, so I decided to make my own batch. I was very torn between my old favourite, the chocolate peanut butter ice cream from the now inactive browniepoints blog and a new flavour that was spinning around in my head. In the end curiosity won and I started to work on my own creation. But you should definitely try the chocolate peanut butter ice cream, it is really good.

My favourite ingredient for ice cream is coconut milk. It has a good amount of saturated fat, which adds great texture and a creamy and buttery taste. In combination with lime the result is something very similar to buttermilk ice cream: creamy, fresh and light. I added a bit of pectin as a thickening agent, but I am pretty sure you can make the ice cream without. I have said this before and I’ll say it again, you can make this ice cream without an ice cream maker. Simply place the mixture in your freezer and stir vigorously every hour until your ice cream is frozen. This will help to break down the ice crystals and add some air to your ice cream.

Coconut-Lime Ice Cream

120g/4.3 oz. firm tofu
1/2 cup lime juice
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pectin or 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (xanthan gum)
1 pinch salt
2 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon lime zest

In a blender or food processor, combine tofu and lime juice and blend well. Add sugar and blend again. Add pectin and blend until everything is combined well. Stir in salt, coconut milk, and lime zest. Place in the freezer for one hour. Transfer to your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.

We served our ice cream with fresh coconut waffles.

Coconut Waffles (makes 5-6 regular waffles)

200 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
50 g (1/4 cup) melted and cooled coconut oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) coconut milk
240 ml (1 cup) soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 g (1/2 cup) dried, shredded coconut

In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and add coconut oil, coconut milk, soy milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined and fold in coconut. Preheat waffle iron, brush with oil and cook according to waffle iron directions.

Merken

I just made those waffles. I thought they’d be a perfect dinner. And they were. Absolutely perfect! With strawberries and rice-milk ice cream (store bought because I’m lacking patience and tools for the homemade goodness yet).
    Even my mom, who told me she usually didn’t like coconut while I was mixing up the batter, later tried one and enjoyed it. That’s what I call successful coconutification!

Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

• Gill

Mihl, this is beyond good. It’s utterly delicious…I did however half the amount of sugar as that seemed an awful lot and it was fantastic. I might see if i can make it with “fake” sugar for my diabetic brother who loves lime and coconut.
    Yet another brilliant recipe! Thank you.

Ha, I’ll show your comment my boyfriend who always tells me there is not enough sugar in my ice cream recipes.

Thank you for trying this one, too!

• Gilly

Hi Mihl, I want to give this a try since all your other ice creams have been fantastic…can you tell me, the pectin you use, is it powder or liquid form? I have both and wasn’t sure which I should use.
    Thanks
    Gill

Hi Gill, I used powdered pectin.

Tofu in icecream?! Thats something I’ve got to try :)

I was searching for a coconut milk ice cream to use up some leftover milk– this sounds delicious but I don’t have tofu right now, but I’d like to try this another time. I used to love coconut-lime scented bath products until I stopped using anything with artificial fragrances… now I’ll just have to eat the combination! The waffles sound good, too.

Hi Jillian, you can probably leave the tofu out or use non-dair yoghurt instead. Cashews would also be a good alternative.

Yes, please! Coconut lime is one of my favorite flavor combinations! Coconut milk based ice creams are the best, so creamy and smooth and rich and *sigh* :)

I love that you had them with waffles! It’s like a dippable ice cream cone!

• That is amazing! I love coconut ice cream so much… I love that you served it with waffles.

• Grace Dickinson

Beautiful blog. And I love the flavor combination of lime and coconut. Sounds great!

Oh, oh, oh! First you have an amazingly simple ice cream recipe that sounds delicious. Then you add on coconut waffles? Yum does not seem to describe how I bet this all tasted. Thanks for the recipe.

Both the ice cream and coconut waffles look delicious. I would sneak in some chocolate and top it with a nice thick fudge sauce….yum.

Oh, yum! I just had my wisdom teeth out so my swollen jaw would love some homemade vegan ice cream! :)

Oh no! Feel better soon!

Oh how pretty. I love all things coconut, this sounds so fantastic.

Coconut and lime! I’ve been trying to think of something easy to make for dessert tomorrow for company; maybe I should do a coconut ice cream in the vitamix. Coconut -banana? With lime zest and and mixed berries stirred in? I think I’ll go put some coconut milk in the fridge and some bananas in the freezer, just in case!

I think it is a fantastic idea to add frozen bananas!

Now, I can understand being torn between two ice cream flavors, but that just means you need to make the other one next! Ice cream and waffles is great – I love the coconut in both of them.

Drooling. I want to try both.

• I’m snowed in and just walking to the mailbox involves navigating a snow drift higher than my Xterra and STILL I want this ice cream!! I’m with you, coconut milk is the best milk for ice cream. The coconut/lime combo sounds divine – and you had J at “chocolate peanut butter”! :)

Oh, no! I hope the snow melts soon! Sometimes I am happy about the boring German weather.

Oh! This looks so so delicious! Coconut and lime are such a great match. LOVE them together and the waffles ….mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

That sounds terrific. I am not usually a fan of lime (or lemon) desserts, but I love the coconut-lime combo. Have you ever made the coconut-lime cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over Your World? They are SO good.

I’m glad your ice cream turned out better than my recent attempt. I tried making Japanese red bean ice cream. I don’t know if I did something wrong or if I just don’t like the flavor, but it’s gross.

Yes, those cupcakes are awesome! Red bean ice cream sounds interesting. I am sorry to hear yours didn’t turn out.

Coconut lime sounds wonderful… as does peanut butter chocolate. I can’t believe I haven’t had out my ice cream maker this summer, maybe I shall dust it off for autumn. ;)

Oh man, now I’m singing “you put the lime in the coconut” and craving ice cream.

Thanks.

Both recipes sound absolutely wonderful, I can only imagine how good they’d taste combined! Mmmh~

coconut and lime, well it sure sounds delicious! :) i cant wait for summer to start a home made ice cream factory:) so im saving your recipe:)

Yum! I’m so glad you went with coconut lime, I only wish I could drop by to try some! And I love that you paired it with coconut waffles, double the coconut!

• Elise Edson

Mmmmm!!! I’m whipping this up for our next vegan potluck! Sounds amazing!

Coconut milk-based ice cream is seriously amazing–so much creamier than ice cream made from other vegan “milks.” The bright flavor combo of coconut and lime is a tasty classic, and you can’t go wrong when you serve it up with homemade waffles! ^_^

Oooh yummy! This looks and sounds super fab.

Looks and sounds amazing, I’m gonna have to try this!