Not your average falafel

Here falafel is a fast food. Usually you go out, order it and after ten minutes, you’ve got it in your belly. Not in this case. Preparing this falafel took almost the whole Sunday afternoon. But it was so worth it! This is far from being a traditional recipe, instead of chickpeas it calls for kidney beans, and instead of regular hummus it calls for black olive hummus. The pita bread comes with a special twist, too.

Chipotle Kidney Bean Falafel with Basil Garlic Pita and Black Olive Hummus

For the Basil Garlic Pita (makes 8 breads):

200 g (1 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
200 ml (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) water
300 g (2 1/2 cups) whole wheat flour
10 g (1 1/2 teaspoons)  salt
100 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) water
2 tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced
15 g (3/4 cup) basil, minced

Combine all-purpose flour, yeast, and 200 ml water and stir to form a batter. Cover and let sit for about an hour. Add remaining ingredients and knead until a dough comes together. Knead for about ten minutes. Cover and let sit until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 250°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Knead in garlic and basil. Divide dough into eight pieces. Roll into flat discs. Bake for 5-7 minutes. The breads should puff up. Store them under a kitchen towel while baking the remaining breads.

For the Black Olive Hummus:

1 can chickpeas (400 g or 14 oz.) drained
50 g (1/4 cup) pitted and sliced black olives
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or water
60 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
2 tablespoons tahini
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.

For the Chipotle Kidney Bean Balls (makes about 16 to 18):

1 can kidney beans (400g or 14 oz.), drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1 chipotle in adobo pepper
1 teaspoon sauce from the chipotle can
1 slice bread without crust, toasted and teared into tiny bites
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

2-3 tablespoons oil

Mash the beans, add remaining ingredients and incorporate them well. Form into walnut sized balls. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil. Fry the balls until browned, turning them from time to time.

You also need assorted vegetables for the falafel. I chose peppers, green and red onions, and tomatoes. You could add herbs like cilantro as well. Slice open the pita, spread with hummus, add vegetables and kidney bean balls and drizzle some tahini on top.

You will have leftover bread. This is great just dipped into the hummus, too!

• Mia

Heute probiert – superlecker!! Und überhaupt nicht trocken, das war meine Befürchtung.
    Habe alle alleine gegessen, also mache ich die Falafel heute Abend für meinen Freund nochmal.
    Vielleicht sollte ich die doppelte Menge machen.. ;)

Alles Liebe

Mia

Hallo Mia, das ist ja klasse! Freut mich, dass es Dir geschmeckt hat.

Looks heaven I’m going to make this tonight! Far too lazy for homemade bread on a Monday after work but will certainly give it a go sometime :)

• […] Vegan Chipotle Kidney Bean Falafel- This recipe is from one of my favorite vegan recipe blogs, seitan is my motor. […]

This looks awesome! Very impressed with each component. I will have to set aside a day for such fun :)

The kidney bean + chipotle combo sounds like a winner to me. Fantastic!

• I’m making this recipe this week! Looks completly amazing. Thank you for always posting such original and yummy recipes!

What a cool idea for falafel! I keep thinking I should try making that at home since I love it so much. And the hummus… oh man. I love anything with olives in it.

Okay…you’ve totally out done yourself this time. Homemade pita even?
    This all looks so delicious and I love olives so the hummus…so making that!

Wow, I can see why this would take a whole day – making your own pita? Incredible! This sounds like a great twist on the quick street food. Black olives and kidney beans have so much more pop than all garbanzo. Looks great!

Oh, my god – this looks insanely perfect! I was just thinking about falafel today! It has been waaaaaay too long since I’ve had it! I am definitely making this recipe. It looks so unique & delicious!

I love how every single component sounds intensely flavorful- I can already tell it would be completely worth the extra time and effort!

o em geeeeeeeeenius, this looks SO yummy!!!

You certainly know how to glorify an old standard! Falafels never looked as wonderful as YOU make them look!

I really thought I’d had the best falafel sandwich ever a few months ago, but now I’m thinking my opinion will change as soon as I’m trying this one! All of its components look amazing!

I love that you made everything from scratch, and each with its own delectable twist! Each element looks absolutely delicious! Olives have been something of an addiction for me lately, so you might imagine how much I’m craving some olive hummus right now (perhaps to eat with the olive bread I currently have in possession haha).

Falafal is one of my very favorite things! I LOVE it, and your picture is making my mouth water! Love the idea of kidney bean falafal too!!! So creative!

• Looks delicious! I would say that the results were worth the effort!

Woah, everything about that falafel sandwich looks & sounds amazing. I really need to give making my own pittas a go too.

Chipotle, olives and homemade pita? Oh my.

Definitely one of the more unique falafels I’ve seen! Love the kick in the falafel it self!

Amazing!!! What a fantastic twist on one of my very favourite meals. I love that you took the time to make your own pita. I hope that first bite was worth all the work.

• Stefanie

This looks good. I just have one question, don’t you want to use kidney beans instead of chickpeas in the falafel balls. The recipe says chickpeas but I’m not sure if you meant kidney beans.

You are right! Thank you for catching that!

Divine! I love this three-parted goodness. :)

Wow this looks so good! I really want to make the pita bread!

Wow, everything about this looks and sounds amazing!! and yes, I wish I had it for lunch right now too!! :-)

Wish I had some of those for lunch now, they look so good!!!

This looks soooooo good Mihl and YAY for making pita breads.