Rhubarb Pie with Vegan Dandelion “Honey”

For days I dreamt about this pie. Not at night but during the day. I wanted a pie but not a 100% fruit pie. I had a picture in my head that featured schmand (a kind of sour cream) and fruit. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I realized it was enough when I almost ran into a lantern post which I confused with a rhubarb stalk. So, for my own safety, I got into the kitchen and started baking.

But before I almost ran into the lantern post and before I started baking, we went to a small farmers market. There was a booth that sold “vegan dandelion honey”. I wanted to walk to the next booth because I am judgemental and thought someone wanted to sell honey as being vegan.  But P. went ahead and asked the woman behind the counter what that “honey” was.  It was really funny because her answer was something like this: “Well, you know, there are these people. Vegans. There are lots of them. And they don’t eat honey. So this is why we….” I got the feeling she thought being vegan was ridiculous and she kind of felt embarrassed to sell her product. And maybe she thinks we are taking over the world? It was really weird. She told us dandelion honey was the only “honey” most people could get during GDR (Eastern Germany) times. Western Germans that we are, we didn’t know about this and found it very interesting. The “honey” is made from dandelion blossoms and sugar. It involves collecting tons of dandelions and a long cooking time. If you google “dandelion syrup”, you can find some recipes. The taste is interesting and pleasant. Like honey mixed with barley malt syrup. The consistency and colour are very similar to maple syrup. I used it in my pie, but in the end nothing of its taste was left. Which means, you can use any liquid sweetener instead.

I do not know much about pies and I know pie making can be a serious business. This is not a classic rhubarb pie, it is more a cheesecake pie hybrid.  With marzipan. As in any fruit pie, the rhubarb and its sour taste is the star here. I left half of the pie to my co-workers. When I returned for my own break, it was gone. So yeah, it seems to be good.

Rhubarb Pie with Vegan Dandelion Honey

For the crust:
125 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
125 g ( 1 cup) whole wheat flour
100 g ( 7 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) refined coconut oil, diced
50 g ( 1/4 cup) margarine, diced
50 g ( 1/4 cup) sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon cold water

Sift together flours. Add remaining ingredients except for water. Form a crumbly dough and add water to make the dough come together. The dough will still be crumbly. Don’t worry about it and transfer it to a greased pie crust (29 cm / 11.5 inch). Press into the pan. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for two hours.

For the filling:
500 g (18 oz) rhubarb
100 ml (6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoon) dandelion “honey” (agave syrup, maple syrup), use more if you want a sweeter pie.
Combine and set aside

120 g (1/2 cup) soy yoghurt
120 g (1/2 cup) soy milk
30 g (1/4 cup) cornstarch
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar

Combine yoghurt, milk, starch, and sugar. Mix well.

150 g marzipan finely chopped

Combine marzipan and rhubarb mixture. Spread over the crust. Pour yoghurt mixture over rhubarb. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for about 45 minutes until the yoghurt mixture has set. Let cool completely before slicing.

• […] plagiarised from my original pudding porridge post but the change in fruit was inspired by Seitan is my Motor. I always thought I didn’t like […]

• […] your tart crust, I used this recipe from Seitan is my Motor, but I misread it and didn’t add in the sugar, this was stupid and I […]

Yum! That pie looks amazing! I will definitely have to give this a go when I am back at my parents place in a few weeks with their huge rhubarb plant! :)
    -Kathleen

Dandelion “honey” was the only honey I ate as a child. I really thought that it can be made by humans and still called honey :) Schneekoppe has a honey alternative which they claim is vegan:
    I tried it, but I’m not that crazy for honey flavour.

Thank you so so much for this recipe! I needed to make something for a big family gathering and I chose this. Now my family aren’t exactly thrilled about my veganism and think all vegan food is ‘weird’ but they were totally won over by this recipe. You literally saved me from all day vegan taunts!

Wow, how cool. It’s so nice of you to tell some of these vegan people about that “honey”. ;)

• Elise

Hi I just wanted to thank you for this recipe!!! It’s my parents 25th wedding anniversary party and I was struggling to find a dessert recipe that would impress them (they’re not all that happy about my veganism). I test ran it tonight with maple syrup and it came out so well that I’m going to make it again for Sunday :)

That’s wonderful to hear! I am sure you can impress them with your baking skills. Have a great party!

• mirjam

I loooove rhubarb, and though I am very found of rhubarb crumble (because it’s delicious and easy to make), it’s nice to read about other recipes. Will definitely try this soon! Too bad my rhubarb does not seem to be doing that well this spring — it hasn’t rained for like a month now over here (Belgium).
    By the way: I recently read about such ‘Löwenzahn Honig’ on vegan.de, where some people posted recipes for it. I was quite intrigued by it (but I don’t think I’ll make it myself, for it seems time-consuming, and as a vegan, there’s already way too much you have to make yourself).

That looks gorgeous.

I am completely enamored with the idea of dandelion honey, especially since I have millions of the darned weeds in my backyard! Well, I’m off to research this further now…

vegans, we so silly.
    I am so intrigued by that honey!

• vegan girl

pie looks very tasty. dandelion honey or syrup is a traditional recipe, my granny makes it every summer. and yes it’s all vegan. i like it in my tea. :) Here’s a recipe: (any type of sugar will do- but it has to be DRY sugar (and of course vegan), not liquid sweetener): http://www.south-tirol.com/pleasure/bread-cakes/brown-dandelion-honey

The “honey” sounds really interesting – too bad you couldn’t discern the flavour in the final dish. I’m glad you took care of yourself and got down to baking before there were any serious injuries.

I love it… ‘There are these people… Vegans…’.
    But what a nifty find!

That pie looks amazing. I am not surprised there was none left.

Your pie looks awesome, Mihl! I like how different it is from our traditional rhubarb pie, and I can’t wait to give it a try – as soon as rhubarb is in season here. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Wow, that dandelion honey is so interesting! I’m going to have to look into making some next year. And your rhubarb pie is divine!

• Bianca- Vegan Crunk

That looks like a crazy, delicious dessert pizza! BTW, I posted a couple days ago that I FINALLY found Biscoff (or Speculoos) Spread at my Whole Foods! I remember when I made it myself using your recipe a few years back. :-)

I’ve never heard of dandelion honey, but it certainly intrigues me. It’s too bad the flavor didn’t come through at the end of baking. In any case, this cheesecake-pie hybrid sounds absolutely delightful!

Mihl, I had similar vegan honey as I was a child!
    I grow up in Poland( in nice socialism ;-) which I really liked, I had a great childhood), the reason for this honey weren’t vegan people but “planwirtschaft”(don’t know the english word).
    Your Rhubarb Pie looks fantastic!(which sojajoghurt do you use?)

But I think there still is some kind of artificial honey which is vegan, could it be Invertsirup?

Interesting! I talked to many people who grew up in Dresden and told me they knew it. Yeah, back in the days veganism was not the reason why this honey existed. People had to be creative to make up for the lack of certain things. I guess that is also why the woman reacted so hesitant and kind of embarrassed. Her “vegan” comment was directed at the present. Apparently we are flooding the city (which I doubt).

I wish I had known! I would have send you a glass. I am going to buy some more of that stuff, now that I have your address :)

Invertsirup might indeed be the artificial honey. It is still available here. I should go and look for it. Want a jar of that, too? ;)

I usually use plain Alpro or Provamel yoghurt. In this case it was Alpro.

• kirsten

O YUM! I just planted a rhubarb plant in my garden…:)

I admit I raised an eyebrow at the vegan honey line. Now it makes sense. ;-) Your tart looks SUPERB. I’m in the mood for rhubarb and am especially intrigued by your vegan custard. Lovely.

• Meagan

OMG,this looks AMAZING! I’m obsessed with rhubarb,almost bought a rhubarb plant the other day,then I remembered I have a tiny French balcony and it’s already stuffed with any plants I can fit on it. I really appreciate that you have the measurements in American measurements as well as the European measurements. I really love following your posts!

How curious–vegan honey. I like it. :) This sounds and looks splendid. I’ve never made a rhubarb pie, let alone a rhubard-pie hybrid, so I’d definitely like to give this a shot once I get back to Montreal from Italy. Thanks for sharing this :) Yum!