Focaccia with Tomatoes

It was hot here, so hot that fruit and gazpacho was all I could stomach. So far we have had such a mild summer that I was kind of shocked when it was suddenly over 30°C. And since we have no air condition, all I could do was wiping my face with a wet towel from time to time and sweat through the heat wave. But as soon as the temperatures went back to normal, I had to turn on the oven to make this really easy and delicious focaccia.

I admit it, although tomatoes are in season right now and their taste is amazing, those red fruits are not the main actor in this recipe. The key to making this flatbread really flavourful is olive oil. And it’s not just the taste, it’s the texture, too. So yes, you could leave out the oil, but that would result in a different recipe. The oil keeps the dough moist when baked, so that the texture will be similar to that of cheese pizza (without the melting and stretching of course).

Focaccia (serves 2-4)

For the dough:
250 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
190 ml (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
5 g (3/4 teaspoon) salt

For the topping:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
1-2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 handful fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients for the dough in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Then use your hands to make a soft dough. It will be rather liquid and sticky.
Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 1.5 hours.
Preheat the oven to 250°C (480°F) and have a piece of parchment paper ready that will fit the baking sheet. Knead the dough briefly and dump onto the parchment paper.

Drizzle one tablespoon of oil onto the dough and use your hands to press it into a 25 x 35 cm (10 x 14 inch) rectangle. Top with garlic, basil, and tomatoes. If you don’t want the basil and garlic to burn, place the tomatoe slices on top of those two ingredients. Drizzle with another tablesppon of oil or more to taste. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 15-17 minutes, sprinkle with pepper and serve immediately.

I Will make this lovely foccacios with wholemeal & light spelt flour,’..looks very appetizing too. mmmmmmm. X

Definitely bookmarking these recipe to try SOON now that the weather is cool! yum!

• […] recipe focaccia dough (Mihl’s recipe is melt-in-your-mouth […]

This focaccia looks incredible!

• Caiti

I just moved to Germany. I’m so beyond happy to find this blog. <3

i love how the light reflects off the cheese is the last photo- so gorgeous yet delicious at the same time!

xo

I am feeling empowered to make some myself thanks to your awesome photos! Yum!

That focaccia looks great – tomato and basil are just perfect for summer, but I can really understand wanting to wait on a cooler day to turn on the oven.

Yum! I’m drooling…and now I totally want THAT. Like, now. :)

That looks awesome – those tomatoes look amazing!

Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Wow, what amazing photos. These look simply perfect. The more olive loil the better as far as I’m concerned :D

This focaccia looks great! perfect for summer weather (though it’s actually kind of chilly here right now, oh well).
    Looking forward to seeing the changes on your blog, I hope it won’t be gone for too long!

• Drizzling olive oil after being baked is such a delicious idea! I’ll be sure to try that – it’s a great way to keep the dough moist in lieu of cheese.

• Wow, that looks mouthwatering. I’ve been craving a pizza lately. Enough to turn on the oven even; now that’s a serious craving! I think this recipe is in my very near future, thanks for posting!

• Very curious about the changes

• wow, we’re on the same wave length – i just made a focaccia last night that i am going to post tomorrow! looking forward to seeing your updates.

That foccacia is beautiful! And I can’t wait to see what changes you cook up.

Your focaccia looks awesome, Mihl! I’ve made something similar recently, and loved it so much that I was left craving for more… I’m definitely going to use your recipe to cure that craving!

Mmmm, looks good!