Fig Streusel Cake

It is finally December and the stores are packed with my favourite produce: nuts, dried fruit, and oranges. I admit, I could eat a bag of dried figs and a kilogram of oranges every day.
Dried figs are so versatile, they make a great snack but also do a great job when added to baked goods. For example I really like them in bread.They are also a wonderful addition to cakes because they usually soak up moisture. Which means that you don’t have to worry about a soggy crust. Even though dried fruits play an important role when it comes to Christmas baking, I wanted to come up with something that tasted a bit more like fall or even summer. This fig cake can be served on many occasions. Sunny Sunday afternoons, cold winter evenings, maybe it could even be part of your Christmas board.

Fig Streusel Cake

For the filling:

150 g (1 cup) dried figs, stems removed and chopped
150 ml (2/3 cup) orange juice
1 vanilla bean

200 g (7 oz.) fig jam

Place figs and orange juice in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean in two and scrape out the seeds. Add seeds to the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let cook for about 20 minutes until the figs are soft and start to fall apart. Let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a food processor, add fig jam and purée until smooth. Set aside.

Dough:

200 g (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)  margarine, softened
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
200 g (2 cups) ground hazelnuts
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch salt
zest from half a lemon
250 g ( 2 cups) all-purpose flour

In a bowl, combine all ingredients except for the flour and form a soft dough. Knead in flour. Shape into a disk, wrap in foil and place in the fridge for about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 180°c (350°F). Grease and flour a 25 cm (10 inch) springform pan. Set aside 1/4 of the dough and press remaining dough into the bottom and the sides of the pan. Pour the fig mixture into the crust and spread it out evenly. Crumble the remaining dough on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.

• Caiti

Hey! I’m new to Germany, what’s your favorite margarine brand over here?

Hi Caiti, my favourite brand is Alsan. It’s available at health food stores (golden package) and at some supermarkets (green package).

• […] Fig streusel cake from Seitan Is My Motor. […]

Gorgeous and mouth-watering, as always!

This looks so so good!

Dried figs are everywhere in my nbeighborhood, I always wondered what to do with them other than just eat them plain. Great recipe!

i love dried figs.. and that orangy crunchy streusel looks amazing! a nice balance of flavors!

• Kirsten

Looks yummy! I have never used figs before in baking..I will have to try it.

• Oh man, this looks great! I love that you added orange juice for flavor. Yum!

This looks gorgeous! I’m not a huge fan of figs but my dad and grandmother are so I will definitely be making this for Christmas.

Ooh, hazelnuts in the dough? That sounds amazing, and I happen to have tons of hazelnut meal right now. I’ve never baked with dried figs before but I bet it would be lovely, especially with the OJ.

Figs & oranges sound perfect together! I can only imagine how good your house must have smelled when you were baking this :)

Looks so good!

You always make the best-looking cakes. The combination of figs, orange and hazelnuts sounds so wonderful — I can almost smell the scented air wafting from the kitchen.

That looks so delicious! My favorite part of a fig neuton cookie has always been the filling, but the cookie itself is way to dry, in my opinion. This sounds like the perfect solution, with plenty of filling and a tender cake instead. Yum!

• YUM, love the hazelnuts in there. What I wouldn’t give for a slice of that right now…