White Chocolate Coconut Cookies

These are easy and so, so good! Sweet and coconutty, almost like macaroons.

My pantry challenge ingredient of the day is homemade sakura liqueur. I got it last year, as part of a wonderful care package from the talented and generous Amatō over at Wagashi Maniac. Since I was pregnant at that time, I never got to use it. Now I rediscovered the bottle and thought it would be great combined with white chocolate and coconut, so I made these cookies. If you want, you can buy the liqueur online, but this recipe works great with any other sweet liqueur or probably even with soy milk (you can add some vanilla extract, too). (If using non-dairy milk, you probably will need less than 1/4 cup. Add the liquid tablespoon by tablespoon until the batter comes together.)

White Chocolate Coconut Cookies (makes about 13)

adapted from this recipe

50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
50 g vegetable oil (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
60 ml (1/4 cup) sakura liqueur
120 g (1 cup) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
50 g (1/2 cup) dried, shredded coconut
60 g (2 oz) chopped white chocolate
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and liqueur. Sift in flour, add baking powder and shredded coconut. Fold in chocolate. Mix the batter together with your hands. It will probably be a bit crumbly and on the dry side, but don’t worry.  Shape into balls, golf ball size, and place on the baking sheet. Press down with your hands as these cookies won’t spread. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown.

Are you baking any cookies or other treats for Vegan MoFo?

• […] in the cupboard. After the cookies at my swap I thought the husband would enjoy some more! These White Chocolate Coconut Cookies fit the bill for him, he really likes both coconut and white […]

These looks gorgeous and you had me at similar to macaroons! I’ve never of the liqueur, I’m going to look it up and see if we can get it here ;)

I love white chocolate, and your cookies look so crispy and tasty! I’m bookmarking them for week two of MoFo. Never heard of sakura liqueur, but I’m glad they can be made with vegan milk too. I like your vintage cup and saucer too! :)

These sound amazing – wish I could find vegan white chocolate around these parts, but no dice. Also liqueur + baking usually equals something very delicious!

• I’m a sucker for white chocolate yet never think to use it when I’m baking. Genius idea to pair it with coconut. Great recipe!

you are the third white chocolate post i’ve read tonight!!! YUUUUUUUUUM.
    xo
    kittee

whoa. those sound AMAZING. I just posted about white chocolate today too! :)

As you know, I am a true sucker for cookies.

I love using liquers is cookies and/or frosting too. Sounds really good.

Ooooh yum, I love macaroons so a cookie that’s similar in taste to one sounds amazing.

You know what’s weird? A couple nights ago, me and P we’re talking about macadamia nuts, and I said I was going to make some coconut white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. It seems great minds think alike. They look amazing!

Oh my.

These look delicious! And I second what Celine said about oil in place of margarine – a welcome alternative. I wonder how these would be with almond or hazelnut oil…?

I bet great, Monika! I love hazelnut oil.

I’ve never seen sakura liqueur either, but these look amazing. Let’s see what kind of replacement I can come up with. :)

I’ve never seen sakura liqueur, but I’ll try these with almond milk ASAP. I love that you used oil and not margarine, since I’m out of the latter and still hearing bad things about the flavor of regular EB anyway.

Those looks so delicious! I love a good coconut cookie, thanks for sharing!