Erdbeerboden {Strawberry Spongecake or Flan}

Classic German DessertsTranslated literally, Erdbeerboden means strawberry crust. It is a very simple and very popular German cake that is made with a sponge crust and fresh berries. Many people also call it by its more general term, Obstboden (fruit crust), because you can also make this with any berry and with many summer fruits like peaches or nectarines. Technically my version is more an Obstboden than an Erdbeerboden. I cheated and used both strawberries and fresh red currants.

Most people like this cake because you can buy the (non-vegan) crust at bakeries and grocery stores. All you have to do is prepare your fruit and place it on top of the crust. Oh, and there’s another thing: This fruit cake has no additional filling but is made with a glaze, called Tortenguss (cake glaze) in German. If it is storebought it’s usually made from starch and other thickeners like carrageenan. You just pour it on top of fruit cakes so that the fruit doesn’t dry out. I was never a huge fan of cake glaze, but since it’s Vegan MoFo and I try to stick with my theme as best as I can, I used it. If you don’t like jelly on your cake, leave it out.

Erdbeerboden

Another thing you will need for this cake, if you want to make it properly, is an Obstboden pan. (Of course any other 11 inch round pan will work, too.)

Erdbeerboden (One 28 cm or 11 inch cake)

For the sponge cake:
(I simply used my go-to sponge cake recipe)

3 tablespoons chickpea flour, sifted
150 ml (1/2 cup + 1/8 cup) hot water
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
100 g (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
50 g (1/4 plus 1/8 cup) cornstarch

For the topping:
500 g fresh strawberries or a mix of assorted berries
240 ml (1 cup) water
1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoons agar-agar

To make the crust:
Grease and flour a 28 cm (11 inch) Obstboden, flan, or tart pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
Combine chickpea flour and hot water and whisk until most o the lumps are gone. Add sugar and oil and whisk again. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to form a smooth batter. Pour into the pan and bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack: Loosen the crust with a fork, place the cookie rack on top of the cake and turn it around. Set aside to cool completely.

To make the topping: Wash and clean the fruit, cut off stems, slice very large strawberries in halves. Arrange the fruit on the crust.
Combine water and agar-agar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour over the fruit and transfer to the fridge. Let cool for 2-3 hours or until the agar-agar is set. Serve immediately.

• […] blueberry flan is an adapted version of my sponge cake recipe. I made some changes to it so the cake can be made without chickpea flour. The filling is made with […]

that looks a very ‘Sunday afternoon with mum’ type cake. Lovely.

• […] veganizing classic German desserts, and her treats are just so enticing. When I saw her recipe for Erdbeerboden, a strawberry spongecake, I was smitten. I just adored the idea of a light spongecake that lets […]

Nichts geht über Erdbeerkuchen. Habe früher immer einen zum Geburtstag bekommen und lasse auch jetzt noch so ziemlich jede Torte für ein Stück Erdbeerkuchen stehen. Tolles Rezept!
    LG, Sarah

This looks so simple and elegant, like the perfect summer dessert. I only tried using chickpea flour as an egg replacer for the first time this weekend, I can’t believe I hadn’t tried it sooner, it works so well!

• Love it! I love your MoFo theme – there’s nothing I love more than drooling over beautiful sweets and I’m loving learning about traditional German treats :)

Was kommt als nächstes?
    Du machst mich echt fertig ;)
    Klingt alles unglaublich schmackhaft und weckt unendlich viele, leckere Erinnerungen.
    Es ist wirklich toll, dass du viele Klassiker veganisierst und mit uns teilst ♥ Danke dafür!
    Damit ich kann ich vor allem meiner Familie und bekannten, die diese typischen Desserts kennen ein bisschen entgegenkommen oder ihnen die Rezepte zeigen, wenn sie mich mal wieder einladen wollen :)

Liebe Grüße!

Danke!

This looks so bright and fresh, like the perfect summer cake!

That cake is so pretty! I’m always interested in ways to incorporate chickpea flour and am so bummed I’m never seen fresh currants around here. They look like rubies!

• Beautiful as always! I made a flan today too (for tomorrow’s post) but it doesn’t compare to this beauty!

Oh no! I think I *had* a pan like that but got rid of it in a fit of minimalism. Darn! That cake looks precious.

This cake is so pretty! I love how fresh the berries look. :)

wow wow.. mihl, all of your creations are becoming my favorite this mofo. on the first go they sound like a lengthy process, but then the recipe is soo intuitive and deliicous! i need to make that sponge cake!

Another jaw-dropping dessert — so simple but so lovely. We should all be at a 30-day retreat, taste-testing your desserts. If only . . .

This looks super simple and delicious but I really like jelly-type glaze on a cake!

Diese Art von Kuchen ruft bei mir auch Erinnerungen hervor… Hat es bei uns früher auch öfters gegeben ;-).

I love this one, it’s such a simple concept yet looks so heavenly. I would love a slice or three, please!

What a beautiful cake! I love strawberries on top of simple sponges and this one just looks perfect!

This looks wonderful! As much as I love fruit desserts, most of the time I’d prefer to just eat the fruit raw, so I love simple cakes where the fresh berries really shine. And I was never a fan of that jelly layer on pies either, but maybe I would like the vegan version!