Vegan Lemon Cream Cake

lemon cream cake | www.seitanismymotor.com

“This cake. I could eat it all by myself.” That is what my co-worker said after tasting this lemon cream cake. A well deserved compliment as I made this cake six times. I wanted it to be perfect.

“Six?” My co-workers looked at me weirdly and doubtfully. “Why are you doing that?” Well, I might have been a tiny bit obsessed by an idea I had in my head. I needed a really good sponge cake. Something not too moist and not too dry. I needed exactly the right consistency, not too crumbly but also not too dense. Perfect for slicing but also perfect for eating. And my sixth cake was exactly the way I had wanted it to be. But it was not only the cake that had to be perfect. I wanted a perfect topping, too. I had set my mind on an almond cream topping but no matter how much I tweaked my recipe, it just didn’t turn out the way I wanted it. The consistency was always wrong. For my last cake I gave up and placed a can of coconut milk in the fridge. The next day I was going to make a simple coconut whipped cream with only four ingredients: coconut cream, sugar, lemon, and vanilla. But that didn’t happen. My coconut milk didn’t set. At that point I was about to throw the damn cake out of the window.

But then I remembered that in Germany people make their whipped cream toppings with whipping cream stabiliser. It is a mix of starches and it will help the cream keep its shape for cakes and decorations. And it makes vegan whipped cream, too. We have liquid vegan cream that can be whipped with the help of a stabiliser. I still never use this product because I hear it’s not super common outside of Europe and I want my recipes to be accesible. Plus, my father makes the most amazing cream cakes without ever touching an envelope of that magic powder. So I used to think that it’s unnecessary. But sometimes I change my opinion. Especially when I need to save a runny frosting. Because I wanted my cake. So I looked up the ingredients. The mix of starches and thickeners looked very similar to what was printed on the back of my egg-replacer box. A product I also hardly use. But this time it made my topping fabulous and my cake perfect.

I know the ingredient list for this topping now looks a little bit complicated. You could probably do without it and make a simple coconut whipped cream to top your cake with. But it will not be the same. This lemon coconut cream the opposite of a buttercream frosting: it is light and fresh, only slightly sweet and tastes exactly the way I think a cream topping should taste. The lemon masks some of the coconut flavour and has a more complex flavour than coconut whipped cream. And it goes so well with that sponge cake!

Variation for a fabulous vanilla cake: Replace 100 g sugar (1/2 cup) with 100 g (1 cup sifted) home-made vanilla sugar and leave out the lemon zest. Make the topping with soy milk instead of lemon juice and use vanilla sugar instead of powdered sugar.

vegan lemon cream cake | www.seitanismymotor.com Recipe Lemon Cream Cake (1 8 inch or 20 cm springform pan) Ingredients: For the cake: 240 ml (1 cup) soy milk 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 250g (1 and 1/4 cups) sugar 120 g (1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons) softened refined coconut oil 300 g (2 and 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour 3 teaspoons baking powder 1/8 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla zest of one large lemon For the topping: 60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice 1 teaspoon agar agar powder 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk 60 g (1/2 cup unsifted) powdered sugar 2 teaspoons egg replacer (I use Orgran No-Egg) 25 g (3 tablespoons) cornstarch 1/8 teaspoon ground vanilla

The day before prepare the cake: Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Grease and flour a 20 cm (8 inch) springform pan and set aside.

Pour soymilk into a bowl and add vinegar and whisk together.

Combine sugar and coconut oil and use a hand-held mixer to whip. Whip until light and fluffy, which can take 2-5 minutes.

Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and then add soymilk mixture and remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. This works best with a hand-held mixer as the cake batter will be very thick and stiff. Please do not add more liquid, the batter has to be that stiff. Also try not to over-mix the cake.

Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 40-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Release the cake with the help of a knife: Run the knife around the edge and carefully open the pan. Set aside over night, you can cover it with foil if you like.

On the next day carefully slice the cake into two layers and prepare the filling:

Place the lemon juice in a small saucepan. Whisk in the agar agar and bring to a boil. Cook for two minutes and remove from heat. Pour the coconut milk into a tall and narrow bowl. Add agar mixture and mix well. Place in the freezer for 45 minutes to cool. It should have a light but firm mouuse when you remove it.

Add remaining ingredients and beat for two minutes. The topping should now have a thick but runny consistency. Place in the freezer for another hour.

When you remove it,  it should have thickened a bit more but will still be very spreadable. It should look like only slightly whipped whipped cream. Spread half of the topping on top of bottom cake layer. Carefully place the second layer on top and cover the rest of the cake with the topping. Place in the fridge for at least two hours before serving. Use a very sharp knife to carefully slice the cake.

vegan lemon cream cake | www.seitanismymotor.com

• isabel

Hi…..thank you….you are always very inspiring and since today i have to bake my second year son´s birthday it looks like a very yummi alternative.
    Really love your blogg.
    Much love and joy.

Thank you!

• Louise

Der Kuchen sieht sehr lecker aus und ich liebe alles was zitronig schmeckt. Werde ihn sicher ausprobieren. Hoffe, du hast die 6 Kuchen nicht hintereinander gemacht und jedes Mal weggeworfen…???!!!

Keine Angst, wir haben den brav gegessen.

Wow, sieht unheimlich gut aus. Tolle Bilder.

Danke!

• Roman

Yeeeeeees :) so, 2. Versuch, habe auf eine andere Kokosmilch gewechselt und wer sagt es denn. Hat alles Bombe funktioniert. Steht nun im Kühlschrank, kann es kaum erwarten das 1. Stück zu essen. Vieeeeeeeeelen dank nochmal für dieses super Rezept :)

Das ist ja toll! Danke für Deine Geduld:)

• This looks amazing, wow! Must make for our next potluck, thanks!

• Man alive this is incredible! I cannot wait to make it. It looks amazing. Thanks for making it so many times so you could share the perfect recipe! What hard work! I am sure it is absolutely perfect. You are amazing!

• Roman

Hmmm, bin mir nicht sicher. Habe 1:1 die Anweisungen befolgt :) Nach dem ersten Schritt mit Zitronensaft, Agar Agar und Kokosmilch war es noch komplett flüssig als ich es aus dem Gefrierschrank nahm. Habe dann noch so eine Portion Zitronensaft, Agar Agar gemacht und wieder drunter gemischt, hat sich nichts getan. War mein erstes Erlebnis mit Agar Agar und dachte dann, das Pulver sei Müll. Habe eben noch Marmelade gemacht und da bindet es wie die Hölle xD Naja, ok, anderes Thema. Da ich keine Kokosmilch mehr hatte und auch gerade keine Möglichkeit neue zu besorgen, bin ich einfach die nächsten Schritte durchgegangen in der Hoffnung das sich noch was tut. Nach ein wenig Warterei war alles noch flüssig :( so, was nun, ich will Kuchen ;) Habe das ganze in den Topf getan, aufgekocht und haaaaaaallo Pudding xD habe jetzt keine Creme, was schade ist, aber immerhin noch bisschen was gerettet. Werde das ganze bei Gelegenheit wiederholen :) aber richtig :) Auf jedenfall danke für das Rezept und diese Seite :)

Dann lag es am Zitronensaft, denke ich. Säure schwächt die Gelierfähigkeit von Agar, deshalb habe ich schon etwas mehr genommen, als ich eigentlich nehmen würde. Du könntest beim nächsten mal entweder noch etwas mehr nehmen (30 – 50 %) oder Du könntest das Agar in Wasser kochen und den Zitronensaft anschließend dazugeben. (Eventuell dann die Kokosmilch um die zugesetzte menge Wasser reduzieren.)

Sieht der genial aus!!!

Danke!

• Roman

Teig hat super funktioniert, schmeckt auch gut :) nur die Creme wird absolut nicht fest, so flüssig wie eh und je ;) ich kann sie also trinken :(

Schade. Woran könnte es Deiner Meinung nach gelegen haben?

• Fat Fuge

I live in California and I have found that product, “Whip it”, in a gourmet grocery store.

Thanks! Good to know.

What an incredibley elegant cake! Just gorgeous. 6th time’s a charm :)

wow, this looks incredible. That frosting looks so perfect! I need a birthday or some other excuse to make someone a cake now!

Wow, wow, wow! That sponge looks absolutely perfect!
    Pinning the recipe for a special occasion :)

• This looks so simple and elegant! It’s really timely too – I am about to harvest some lemons from my neighbour’s tree!

• Gill

Hmmm I guessing this is the “light cake” to which you referred in your article on vanilla sugar…I’m not disappointed, it looks worth the wait.
    Lemon and coconut my favourite. Thank you!!

Still not as light as I imagined (the sponge), but close enough:)

WOWOWOW wie mega ist der denn? Yum!
    Und so tollen blog hast du. Ich würde mich so freuen., wenn du bei mir mal vorbeischaust und mich venetuell (wenn du mein blog magst) in deine blogroll aufnehmen würdest <3 Liebst Rosa

Danke, Rosa! Gerne schaue ich vorbei. Eine Blogroll habe ich aber gar nicht:)

God, how I’d love to live closer to you so I could be a taste-tester when you’re making six cakes to get a recipe right!

Fancy!

• Maggies

Can you substitute almond milk? I want to make this for a friend, but she’s deathly allergic to soy.

That sounds terrible! But yes, you can absolutely substitute almond milk.

Der Kuchen sieht wahnsinnig lecker aus :-) Und das Rezept klingt toll!
    Ich mag allerdings auch keinen Kokosgeschmack in Süßspeisen, Zitrone dafür umso mehr. Aber da ich seit Neuestem einen Gigantomaten-Mixer habe, werde ich beizeiten mal mit Cashewsahne rumexperimentieren. Damit stelle ich mir den Kuchen auch köstlich vor.
    Ich werde berichten!
    Vielen Dank für das tolle Rezept und die Wahnsinns-Mühe (sechs Mal!!! Du bist ja irre :-) )

Klar bin ich verrückt :) Ich freue mich schon auf Deinen Bericht! Viel Spaß beim Experimentieren!

• Kerstin Decker

I use cashew nuts for my sweet creams, also if one uses coconut milk, use the very thick kind, but it has to be very cold. Good luck

What an incredibly beautiful looking and delicious sounding cake. I need to find an occasion to make this for soon!

Sieht total lecker aus! :) Kokossahne wäre wohl nicht so mein Fall und ich würde wohl noch unter die Sahneschicht Zitronenmarmelade verstreichen, aber ich stell’s mir trotzdem total gut vor. :)
    Muss unbedingt endlich ein paar Deiner Rezepte nachmachen, wenn ich mich entscheiden kann.

Liebe Grüße,
    Johanna

Marmelade unter Sahneschicht? Auf die Idee wäre ich nicht gekommen, aber das hört sich sehr gut an. Außer dass ich Zitronenmarmelade leider gar nicht leiden kann. Aber Erdbeer:)