Home vegan Pflaumenkuchen (plum cake)

Pflaumenkuchen (plum cake)

by Mihl

There are so many recipes for plum cake. You can make it with a shortbread crust or with yeast, you can use streusel or let the plums sink in, you can make a sheet cake or use your spring pan.

Personally I like yeasted sheetcakes. They are simple, not too sweet and full of fantastic fruits. But usually German recipes for sheet cake make way too much for a two person household. Even if you are invited somewhere and bring the cake for coffee, your hosts need to invite the whole neighbourhood over to get rid of the leftovers.

A very simple version of plum sheet cake is called Zwetschgendatschi. This is a yeasted cake with lots of plums on top.

Disclaimer: Long, possibly boring German (linguistic) lecture follows:

[I apologize for always writing German nouns with capital letters. I can’t help myself, they look so wrong when I don’t.]

Zwetschge is what people in Switzerland, Austria, and South Germany call a Pflaume (plum). Zwetsche (without g ) is the technical or botanical term for Zwetschge, a certain kind of plum. It is the regular kind of plum found in Germany and it looks like this:

Datschi seems to be derived from the middle or upper German verb datschen/detschen which means “to press into” = plums are pressed into the yeast dough. Although I am not from the South of Germany, I do use the verb “detschen” as well, in combination wit the prefix ein-. It means that something has been bruised: Der Apfel ist eingedetscht. (= The apple has been bruised.)
End of German lesson.

Where I come from a Zwetschgendatschi would simply (okay, to you this might sound as complicated) be called Pflaumen(blech)kuchen (plum sheet cake). It is made with yeast and baked on a large baking sheet. As I said before, I could feed half a village with such a cake, so I halved the original recipe which I took from a German vegan baking book. I also changed some of the ingredients and added streusel, to make the cake look pretty. The cake itself is only slightly sweet. You can increase the sugar to 1/2 cup if you like.

Pflaumenkuchen (plum cake)

For the cake:
2 cups  all purpose flour
1 t active dry yeast
2/3 cup rice or soy milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 T canola oil
1 pinch salt
1 T vanilla sugar (or 1 t vanilla extract)

1 lb plums (pitted and halved), similar to those shown above.

For the streusel, I used the streusel recipe for my rhubarb cake.

3/4 cup flour
1/4 t baking powder
3 T sugar
2 1/2 T margarine ( = 1/3 stick)
1/2 t vanilla extract or 1/2 T vanilla sugar
1/2 – 3/4 T soy milk (as needed)

Confectioner’s sugar for serving

Grease a 10 inch springform pan with vegetable oil or shortening and set aside. In a bowl mix flour and yeast. Add reamining ingredients and stir well. Knead the dough for ten minutes until soft but not sticky anymore. The texture should be like bread dough. Adjust amount of flour or water, if neccessary. Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (3/4 to 1 hour). Meanwhile wash and halve the plums and prepare the streusel topping: In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, and sugar. Add margarine and vanilla. Use your hands to mix until mixture starts to form into crumbs. Add soy milk if  too dry.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Transfer yeast dough to a floured working surface and roll into a circle. It should have the size of your pan. Transfer to pan. Carefully press plum halves into the dough. Sprinke streusel topping over the plums:

Transfer to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for five minutes, transfer to a rack and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Serve warm or cool. If you have vegan whipped cream sitting in your cupboard, this would be the perfect opportunity to use it.

This recipe was submitted to Susan’s YeastSpotting.

49 comments

You may also like

49 comments

Juna Ahmia September 15, 2016 - 22:52

I got this made for my birthday. It was soooooo delicious!!!

Mihl September 16, 2016 - 11:11

Great to hear! Thank you!

Candice September 8, 2013 - 00:25

Sadly, the bottom ended up tasting like bread. It wasn’t very sweet and not cakey at all. The topping was OK but I added a couple Tbsps of sugar to sweeten it. Not a fan of this recipe (no offense).

Mihl September 8, 2013 - 07:47

Sorry you didn’t like it! This kind of cake is definitely very different from US versions, denser and also not as sweet. The yeast dough gives it a very different texture. I mentioned that this cake is only slightly sweet in the description. You could have increased the sugar in the cake itself, too.

Persephone Tempest March 7, 2013 - 00:04

This looks so lovely! I was wondering if you had a recipe for a shortbread crust at all? My oma always makes it that way and I’d love to make a vegan one for her!

Mihl March 7, 2013 - 11:54

Thank you!
Yes, some of the pies in the cake section (recipe index) are made with shortbread crust.

Patti December 23, 2011 - 00:13

Thank you so much for putting this up. I grew up eating this cake and felt bad that I never asked my mother for the recipe and have been hunting for one that was similar to her with a streusel topping. Vielen dank.

Mihl December 23, 2011 - 10:13

Thank you, Patti! I have never been to Schweinfurt. I have to visit it one day.

Melisser September 15, 2009 - 23:40

This is so gorgeous! I love the crumbley top surrounding the plums.

t September 15, 2009 - 11:53

I made this and completely f’d up the ingredients, but it was still pretty delicious. Planning on making it again with accurate measurements!

mihl September 15, 2009 - 12:42

If it helps I could give you the metric measurements for this recipe.

t September 9, 2009 - 11:08

Ich bin so wild nach deinum kuchen!

I’m in Berlin now and the place is rampant with plums! This is a definite must-try!

Patti December 23, 2011 - 00:15

My mother Helga, was from Berlin and I was born in Schweinfurt.

Cooking Day… Results « The Auspicious Squirrel September 3, 2009 - 17:55

[…] made Pflaumenkuchen from Mihl at Seitan Is My Motor with the […]

Bethany August 31, 2009 - 21:45

I love your history as much as I want to eat the food that you make. Looks fantastic, as always! I will have to bookmark this for when I try to reclaim my yeast baking mojo. though there are a lot of plums in the stores right now…

Roses R Red August 31, 2009 - 15:38

Hi there, ive just come across your blog…so many delicious things! Its certainly making me hungry! I love finding delicious vegan blogs :)
This plum strudel looks so yummy, im use to the traditional apple strudel, perhaps i should be more creative!

Rose

mihl August 31, 2009 - 15:45

Thank you! This is not a strudel at all, but a plum strudel sounds like a gret idea indeed!

pupa August 29, 2009 - 23:31

I just love plum yeasted-dough sheet cake with streusel. As I’m from Czech republic I assume our version is quite similar to that German (although I see some small differences in the recipe) and it’s so easy to veganize the traditional version.
But once I made it I ate more than half of the cake just few hours after I took it out of the oven :( so halving it is definitely a good idea.
We also make the same cake with blueberries or blackberries.
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_b1unq9R1hxY/SPTyqcD_InI/AAAAAAAAATw/goHwQjPFWbI/s400/jizva.jpg) :)

mihl August 31, 2009 - 19:53

Your plum cake looks delicious and exactly like the version which is sold here in Saxony.

Suella August 29, 2009 - 17:35

I learned to make it on a muerbteig, with the plums cut in 1/4’s and sliced so the peel is pushed into the dough. It makes nice little rows for a sheet cake. Then it is sprinkled with a little cinnamon sugar after coming out of the oven.

Your recipe looks lovely – I’ll have to try it. We call those “Italian plums” in Oregon :) They are coming ripe soon here.

Mimi August 28, 2009 - 18:39

That is a gorgeous cake!

pragmaticattic August 28, 2009 - 15:33

Yum, I love plum kuchen! Just the thing to make in September . . . I usually make it without yeast, but now I want to try it your way!

YeastSpotting August 28, 2009 | Wild Yeast August 28, 2009 - 12:19

[…] Plum Cake […]

Diann August 28, 2009 - 02:42

Mihl, that is a great looking cake! Plums are so good and I like that you didn’t sweeten them too much. The whipped cream would really make it perfect.

I was a little surprised a half recipe went into a 10 inch pan. I believe you when you say a whole recipe would feed the neighborhood!

Susan/Wild Yeast August 28, 2009 - 00:24

Make that a wonderful touch.

Susan/Wild Yeast August 28, 2009 - 00:24

I love this! These plums look like what we call prune plums here, small and sweet. And the streusel topping is a wonder touch.

mihl August 28, 2009 - 08:34

Thank you for the explanation! I was looking for the right translation, but didn’t find anything.

urbanvegan August 27, 2009 - 20:38

That is freaking plum-lovely!

billie August 27, 2009 - 16:29

this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing, I’m always on the look out for great vegan recipes.

tahinitoo August 27, 2009 - 07:26

You always have the most elegant recipes (with pretty pictures)!

liz August 27, 2009 - 05:19

yummy!! not too sweet and full of whole fruit? that’s so up my alley!

JennShaggy August 26, 2009 - 21:43

Thanks, Mihl! It’s definitely one of my dreams to one day have my own.

I can definitely sympathize on the oven issue…but your baked goods always look so amazing :)

fortheloveofguava August 26, 2009 - 20:14

mm…you just half these and put them straight in??? YUM… I might have to try a pluot cake before the seasons over… I can’t tell by your pictures… about how small are those guys??

mihl August 26, 2009 - 20:24

Yep, that’s how it is usually done. They are much smaller than the average American plum, I think. One weighs about an ounce and is a little bit bigger than a walnut.

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 26, 2009 - 15:11

Thanks so much for the links on my last blog post, Mihl! (I’ve read one so far, and I’m going back now to read the rest!)

BitterSweet August 25, 2009 - 14:32

Oh, that looks so amazing…! The plums have been lack-luster around here this year, but I’m thinking that an apricot kuchen would be heavenly… ;)

jessy August 25, 2009 - 02:23

you always make the yummiest baked goodz that i have never tried before, Mihl! i cannot wait to make your plum cake! it looks absolutely heavenly! ooooooh my gosh – mmmmmmmmmm!

Meagan August 24, 2009 - 23:26

Vielen Dank für das Rezept und linguistische Erklärung! Es interessant mir, die Kleinigkeiten des Sprache zu lernen.

theauspicioussquirrel August 24, 2009 - 22:48

This looks good, I have plums coming Wednesday in my organic produce delivery, I will have to try this. :)

I really liked the German lesson. :)

Carrie August 24, 2009 - 21:12

I’ve never had plum cake before…it looks so pretty!!!

bazu August 24, 2009 - 18:41

that looks amazing, mihl! I love your recipes, and your cultural/language notes! note to self: must find plums…

melanie August 24, 2009 - 17:45

Wunderschoener Kuchen!! Und wir Oesis sagen auch Zwetschken!

mihl August 24, 2009 - 18:34

Ja ich weiß! Tut mir Leid, dass ich Euch immer vergesse. Werde das mal schnell ändern…

MsDerious August 24, 2009 - 17:17

I love that this recipe is really popular on line at the moment!

I blogged about it myself a few weeks back

I found this really, really, really nice warm. It really kicked up the comfort food feeling.

Jes August 24, 2009 - 16:58

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful cake! I’m pretty sure I could eat half of the halved recipe :) I might have to quote your linguistic lesson on the linguistic/translation blog I write for–I’m all about food whenever I can think up a topic!

mihl August 24, 2009 - 17:10

That blog sounds interesting! Do you have a link?

shellyfish August 24, 2009 - 15:44

This looks so yum! I love plums so much, and I just love that they are in season.
Ok, what is your thesis in, by they way? Because I love your explinations!

mihl August 24, 2009 - 16:03

You caught me. It’s right in that field, but not about a linguistic topic. I stick with literature.

VeggieGirl August 24, 2009 - 15:40

PLUMS!! My favorite summer fruit.

Lovely cake, dear Mihl!!