Home bread Vegan Mofo Stuten: German sweet yeast bread

Vegan Mofo Stuten: German sweet yeast bread

by Mihl
Vegan Mofo Stuten: German sweet yeast bread

stuten (sweet yeast bread) This sweet, soft and fluffy bread is very popular in Northern Germany. It’s often homemade and served on Sundays. You can eat it with butter and jam, but it would be perfect for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, too. It’s best served on the day it is baked.But you can slice and freeze this bread and reheat it in a toaster. Recipe Stuten (Sweet Yeast Bread)

160 ml (2/3 cup) soy milk
40 g (3 tablespoons) refined coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
280 g (2 1/3 cups) all purpose flour
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine soy milk and coconut oil in a small saucepot and warm gently, until the coconut oil has melted. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in yeast. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add liquid ingredients and use a hand-held mixer with a dough hook or a stand mixer to knead the dough. Knead for about 5-6 minutes. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. This should take 45-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Grease a small loaf pan (20 x 10 cm or 8 x 4 inch) and set aside. Olace the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into a log. Place in the pan brush with oil. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let rise for 45-60 minutes, or until doubled in size. Slash with a sharp knife and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing.

29 comments

You may also like

29 comments

Marzipan-Gianduia Crescent Rolls « seitan is my motor November 13, 2009 - 19:05

[…] used my stuten recipe, which is really an awesome basic recipe for sweet yeast rolls.  To make things a little […]

Vegan MoFo: My personal recipe round-up « veganolution :. October 31, 2009 - 12:30

[…] Mihl Stuten recipe. I made it the same day she posted it and ate it with a cup of hot cocoa. Childhood […]

Cathy (breadexperience) October 16, 2009 - 20:29

What a beautiful loaf! It does look good enough to sink your teeth in.

VeganMoFo 15: Tagliatelle Alfredo « Eating with the Rabbits October 15, 2009 - 19:30

[…] MoFo post, I had originally planned to make the English muffins from Vegan Brunch or the Stuten from Mihl’s blog (preferably both). I even woke up extra early so I had enough time to make […]

Vegan MoFo – raisins in a hurry « seitan is my motor October 13, 2009 - 21:35

[…] believe I was able to squeeze in a MoFo post today. It’s been long and busy. When I made the Stuten P. said: “Yes, that is all very well and it tastes delicious but you have to make one with […]

veganhomemade October 13, 2009 - 18:53

That’s a really nice looking bread you’ve got there!

tofuparty October 11, 2009 - 17:42

mmm, I guess it’s something like our ‘melkbrood’

mihl October 11, 2009 - 18:17

Yes, I think some people call Stuten “Michbrot” here.

Susan October 11, 2009 - 05:38

Yum! I so want some of this right now. It is grey and raining and cold.

Mo October 10, 2009 - 22:48

You have some serious bread making skills! Looks so delicious!

jessy October 10, 2009 - 21:39

so yummy, Mihl! a light ‘n fluffy bread with a touch of sweetness – it sounds absolutely delicious! the perfect combination of flavor & texture, fo ‘sho!

Carlota October 10, 2009 - 03:33

Mihl, you’re the bread girl!
I would love to try this..my childhood bread
was schneck..I love it..do you know this in Germany?
Is also a sweet bread.

Amanda October 10, 2009 - 03:16

I think I know exactly what kind of bread you mean..and I love it too! This recipe is a must try!! Thanks!

rita October 10, 2009 - 01:59

I’ve been thinking about sweet breads a lot lately and that I “can’t have” things like Stuten in the bakery. I love these kind of breads (with raisins :)). Thanks for the recipe. Hope I can try it out tomorrow!

veganplaisir October 9, 2009 - 23:21

did my photo link work? here’s the address if it didn’t: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/3996597016_32cb0eedd0_b.jpg

veganplaisir October 9, 2009 - 23:20

I was going to make pita bread today, but then I saw this and had to make it.

Check it check it: stuten photo

Mine turned out soft with a crunchy crust and just the slightest sweetness. I wouldn’t really describe it as “sweet.” It was so very good with margarine and a big glob of blackberry jam.

Sara October 9, 2009 - 22:23

Mmm…I love bread! And I especially love sweet bread! Now that it’s getting cold again, I’m getting the urge to make breads! This one is going on the list…thanks Mihl! :)

Andrea October 9, 2009 - 20:12

that was supposed to be “outside” your window.

Andrea October 9, 2009 - 20:11

You must have the best smelling kitchen in the country. Do you have people swooning outdise your window?

Bonnie October 9, 2009 - 20:09

Wow! I’m normally not big on sweet breads at all, but this sounds really good. It looks so soft and fluffy!
Your bread always seems to come out perfect, it looks so pretty on top.

Basht October 9, 2009 - 20:02

that looks incredibly soft and fluffy… it’s a good thing i’m making rolls tonight and tomorrow. I’ll have to try this after the holiday. thanks

jeni treehugger October 9, 2009 - 19:51

Oh Mihl, that looks AMAY-ZING. You are my bread hero fo sho.

The voracious Vegan October 9, 2009 - 19:38

That bread looks so light and beautiful! Thank you for the recipe, I need to start baking my own bread.

Aimee October 9, 2009 - 19:10

This sounds a lot like the traditional Czech bread my mother has always made (a recipe passed down for generations). My mother has made it for me using non-dairy milk and no eggs but it was not quite right. I thing I may try your bread (with golden raisins and almonds) to see if it comes closer. Thanks, as always, for your amazing bread inspiration!

Jes October 9, 2009 - 19:06

This sweet bread looks amazing–it’s definitely on my to-do list. It also sounds like the kind of bread my grandmother made (I come from a very German baking family). Yeasted sweet breads are just so comforting!

Carrie October 9, 2009 - 18:35

Yum!!! I love all of your bread! :)

keeryah October 9, 2009 - 18:32

your bread always looks so beautiful!

fortheloveofguava October 9, 2009 - 18:19

beYOOtiful!

kips October 9, 2009 - 18:06

Are you directly related to Jesus? Because you just saved my soul!!!! I cannot WAIT to sink my teeth into this bread again!!!

Comments are closed.