Home pancakes and waffles Spekulatius Waffles

Spekulatius Waffles

by Mihl
Spekulatius Waffles

spekulatius waffles Spekulatius cookies are similar to the now so famous Belgian speculoos cookies. They have more spices though and less of a caramel flavour. In Germany you can buy spekulatius spice blends during Christmas season, but it is very easy to make your own, too! This is the version I came up with.

Spekulatius Spice Mix:

• 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground anise seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground mace

Speculoos Waffles (makes four to five waffles)

• 180 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
  • 50 g (1/4 cup) light brown sugar or sucanat
  • 25 g (1/4 cup) ground almonds
  • 2 teaspoons spekulatius spice mix
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) soy milk*
  • 60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil of choice additional oil for waffle iron.
  • Combine all ingredients for the spice mix and store in an airtight container.
  • Preheat waffle iron and grease it.
  • In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, almonds, spices, baking powder, and salt.
  • Add soy milk and oil and whisk well until no lumps remain.
  • Add more soy milk if necessary.
  • Pour batter into waffle iron and bake according to manufacturer’s instructions.

*Maybe you will need more. My waffle iron works best with a very thick batter. I know that most other waffle irons have better outcomes with thinner batters. If you think your batter is too thick, add more milk or water.

spekulatius waffles This post was edited and the recipe updated on May 1st, 2013.

Merken

Merken

37 comments

You may also like

37 comments

Aza March 14, 2013 - 08:21

Hello, what is the big T and small t in your recipe? Is it teaspoon or tablespoon or what?

Mihl March 14, 2013 - 11:36

T is Tablespoon
t is teaspoon

tofuparty November 21, 2009 - 17:13

I’m way behing with reading blogs. So, I’m very angry at myself I’m only reading this now.

You are the princess of speculoos :-)

Melisser November 6, 2009 - 12:29

I MUST make these waffles!

wingraclaire November 2, 2009 - 05:51

My friend Andrea says this rocks, so I’m definitely going to try it! It contains all the flavors I love. Thanks!

Claryn October 29, 2009 - 01:09

I love this! And all the speculoos-related things lately. I’ll be making this soon.

Susan October 28, 2009 - 09:55

I have to try some of these cookies/spreads!

I love Pfeffernüsse! But the only brand I can get here has eggs and gelatine so I couldn’t even eat them when I was a vegetarian!

My dad’s side of the family is German, but I have never really had a big exposure to German food through him as he grew up in Australia. But I love exploring my heritage through food!

tuesday good news day « Vegan MoFo Headquarters International October 28, 2009 - 05:24

[…] Mihl, over on Seitan is My Motor, gives us the science behind Speculoos (a.k.a. those quintessential holiday spice cookies so popular in Europe). And then, she kicks it up a notch by using the same spice mixture to make, wait for it, wait for it, SPECULOOS WAFFLES!! […]

Yvonne October 28, 2009 - 01:55

Here in the Netherlands the speculaas spices are sold in every supermarket/whole food store, but I want to make my own spice mix (Could you also share a pumpkin spice mix?).
But, in your recipe you mention ground cloves twice: – is it 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/8 tsp ground coriander or the other way around?

mihl October 28, 2009 - 18:13

Thank you for catching that mistake. I fixed it: 1/2 t cloves, 1/8 t coriander.
No pumpkin spice mix here, sorry.

tahinitoo October 28, 2009 - 01:14

I feel so left out since the loveliness of speculoos has never crossed my lips. Soon!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Kelly October 27, 2009 - 04:51

Ohh, this looks like a wonderful waffle recipe! I’ve been in a waffle-y mood lately, so I’ll have to try these soon.

Mandee October 27, 2009 - 00:08

The waffles look fantastic! I have neglected my waffle iron, so I will make your speculoos spice blend and cook up some waffles v.soon!

SeitanSaidDance October 26, 2009 - 21:21

I haven’t jumped on the Speculoos bandwagon yet, but I may have to! That spice blend has autumn written all over it.

Carrie October 26, 2009 - 16:18

Oh my – those waffles sound heavenly!

Penny October 26, 2009 - 16:10

Almost like a chai tea bread! Great mofo posts :)

jessy October 26, 2009 - 01:12

you’re a genius, Mihl! hooray for the most delicious looking speculoos waffles! i’ve never had speculoos, although i hope to make a gluten-free version of it someday soon. i am totally gonna make a gluten-free version on your waffles too – they look too amazing & sound too fantastic not to make them for dan & i to enjoy!

Afsoon October 25, 2009 - 23:13

dear lord, waffles! me + waffles = love

Megan October 25, 2009 - 22:47

OMG yes yes yes yes. Those look amazing!!

Sal October 25, 2009 - 22:13

spekuloos waffles, holy hell i <3 u. Another reason I need to buy a waffle iron, stat!!

BitterSweet October 25, 2009 - 21:41

Oh, those waffles look heavenly! I’ll have to remember this recipe as we approach the holiday season… It sounds like a wonderful “special” sort of breakfast. :)

Josiane October 25, 2009 - 20:26

Speculoos waffles is a brilliant idea! And served with toffee syrup, ground almonds, and speculoos spice sugar? I don’t think I can even imagine how delicious that must be! I’ll have to try and see for myself! ;)

Mo October 25, 2009 - 19:27

Woah. Bookmarking this because I have to make me some cookies! Thanks, Mihl!

americanvegan October 25, 2009 - 18:39

Oh my goodness, that waffle…..

Tessa October 25, 2009 - 18:08

I recently found the speculoos waffle-cookies prepackaged and sold at Whole Foods here in California. I was really excited! I haven’t opened it and tried them yet but i’m hoping they’re tasty – although I know they can’t be as good as the ones I got on the street in Holland!

Bonnie October 25, 2009 - 16:35

Ooh, a spekulatius post! ^^
It’s great reading your thoughts on the spice combination. I thought about using ginger, too, but then I read somewhere that the difference between speculaas and gingerbread is the fact that gingerbread contains ginger (yeah…) and speculaas does not. That can’t be right, though, because the speculaas spice mix I buy here in the Netherlands always contains ginger! it’s so confusing.
I also read that speculaas always contains the entire cloves/cardamom combination, while speculoos only has cinnamon. But then again, in most contexts the terms seem to be used interchangeably and I’m not sure if there is such a difference…
Anyway, I’m actually glad there are so many delicious ways to prepare this wonderful cookie! I love every kind I’ve tried so far.
Your waffle recipe looks so good. I should make those for brunch sometime! That would be a good excuse to use my new waffle iron and try out your spice mix at the same time.

mihl October 25, 2009 - 16:44

That is really interesting. It makes sense to uses ginger only in gingerbread, but then I have seen so many cookies having ginger as an ingredient, too. And you might be right about speculoos only containing ginger. And caramel syrup. Lotus cookies and speculoos pasta contain only cinnamon and caramel syrup, I think. The cookies get lots of flavour from the syrup.

Bonnie October 25, 2009 - 20:03

You’re probably right! I think Dutch speculoos/cookies with just cinnamon also often have some form of “kandij” (that’s rock candy, according to wikipedia?), in addition to the cinnamon. I haven’t checked for caramel syrup yet, but I think I’m going to read every speculaas label I come across from now on! I’d love to learn more about the different ways to make it… Too bad most speculaas brands I’ve looked at so far don’t say anything about their spice mix – the ingredients just say “spices”. That’s no help.

Jes October 25, 2009 - 16:24

One day I’ll get to eat these divine cookies that everyone raves about. Until then I think I’ll be pretty satisfied with that awesome waffle recipe!

Mary October 25, 2009 - 15:58

Speculoos are divine. I loved getting a little package of two alongside my eta when I was in Austria. Thanks for this spice mic. I’ll bet it would be delicious in tea itself (mixed with some black tea and steeped)!

mihl October 25, 2009 - 16:46

I though about this too…Sounds like the perfect winter tea. I’ve already spponed some speculoos sugar into my espresso and it was good.

Melissa October 25, 2009 - 15:50

Yumm, yumm, yumm- I don´t care if it is nowhere near x-mas- Spekulatius are always welcome in my house : ) great recipe idea!

bazu October 25, 2009 - 15:09

wow, that is so cool! I love getting to know more and more about these wonderful cookies (it’s difficult, but not impossible, to find them in the U.S.- you have to go to specialty or import food shops) I brought back a package of speculoos spice mix from Belgium- I’m thinking they might have to become waffles… what an awesome looking recipe!

Taymer October 25, 2009 - 14:56

ok i re read your post and u say the one I get here in France taste different to yours.. I find I did not like one that was sold in the shops it was way to hard and not too tasty but I got an individually wrapped one and it was so good.I really do not know if the two were made in France. Back to my vegetarian days the Nutella made in the states it very bad compared to the one made in italy, germany and i think france. They do not use the same formula at all.

Taymer October 25, 2009 - 14:53

hey mihl i saw the turnovers post and u did a really great job on them. Now back to speculoos. I started getting them here but I find the packaging is always different and the one I got in the coffee shop is not the same in taste as the one from the shops. Are there many different types of the cookie. I do not get it.

The voracious Vegan October 25, 2009 - 14:34

Whoa. Those waffles look SO amazing! I love the spices you used, I think that is what I would go for too…YUM!

melanie October 25, 2009 - 13:58

mmmm, da hast du dich wieder einmal selbst uebertroffen!!

Comments are closed.