Home vegan A present from the Three Kings: Gugelhupf

A present from the Three Kings: Gugelhupf

by Mihl

Gugelhupf – probably the most hilarious name for a cake.

Gugelhupf is a cake with a very long tradition. There is a legend that this cake was first brought to Alsace (a region in France close to the German border )by the three kings (no, not these! I’m talking about Gaspar, Melchior, and Balthazar) after they returned from Bethlehem. Because people treated them so hospitably, the kings baked a cake to thank them. The cake had the shape of a turban, which is similar to today’s Gugelhupf pans.  Catholics celebrate Epiphany on January the 6th, where children traditionally dressed as the three magi, go from house to house to collect donations. We call them Sternsinger (star singer or star boys in English). I grew up catholic but I was never a star singer because I totally suck at singing. So today I am not coming to your house to sing and write the initials of the three kings on your wall but I’m bringing you cake instead.

Gugelhupf pan

A gugelhupf a yeasted cake often made with raisins which is baked in a special pan. It is also called Elsässer Gugelhupf (gugelhupf from Alsace) The American bundt pan is very similar to the gugelhupf pan and in fact another name for gugelhupf is bundkuchen (bund means bundle, belt, or cord). The word gugelhupf may have been derived from the Middle High German word gugel (pronunciation just like “google”) which means hood. The shape of the cake looks like a hood worn for example by the Friars Minor Capuchin. “Hupf” may have been derived from the verb lupfen meaning “to uncover or to lift something”. Therefore a gugelhupf can be translated as “lifted hood”, if you like. The word gugelhupf is used in Southern Germany and Austria from where it came  to Alsace.

The spelling was there was changed to kuglof or kouglof. You might recognize the word kugel here (which in today’s German means ball (referring to the shape) but the word kugel for the dish is probably as well derived from gugel meaning hood). In fact the Jewish kugel is semantically related to the gugelhupf. In Northern Germany we often call the gugelhupf napfkuchen (Napf = bowl, pan; Kuchen = cake). Usually a gugelhupf is a yeasted cake but today the name refers only to the shape of the pan. Baking powder based cakes are common now. Most of you might be familiar with the marbled bundt cake, which is the same as a German Marmorgugelhupf. Gugelhupf recipes are legion and the cake has many relatives in different countries like Poland where it is called babka.

The gugelhupf is a simple and versatile weekday cake. So the recipe usually calls for staple ingredients. The only exception is probably the kirschwasser (aka Kirsch) which is usually used to soak the raisins. Raisins do provide most of the sweetness here as the cake is very low in sugar. The gugelhupf has an interesting and special texture, it is fluffy and light but also a little bit spongy and unlike other cakes the crumb has some spring similar to freshly baked bread. This cake is not a great and not too filling dessert, you can serve it all day long and you should definitely try it with some jam for breakfast.

Elsässer Gugelhupf
[Make sure that all ingredients have room temperature]

100 g raisins
60 ml (1/4 cup) apple juice (use Kirsch or rum for a more traditional version)

200 ml (1/2 cup + 1/3 cup) soy milk
25 g fresh yeast or 8 g (2 1/2 t) instant dry yeast
50 g (1/4 cup) + 1 t sugar, divided
500 g ( 4 cups + 2 1/2 T) all purpose flour, divided
200 g (3/4 cup + 2 T) vegan margarine, softened
1/4 t salt
3/4 t baking powder

80 g (1/4 cup) silken tofu
60 g (1/4 cup) soy yoghurt
2 T chickpea flour (or soy flour)
2 T water
1/8 t black salt (optional, provides a hint of egg flavour)

For the pan: margarine, 16 almonds

Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the apple juice over the fruits. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine soy milk, yeast, 1 t sugar, and 30 g (1/4 cup) flour. Whisk until no lumps remain, cover the bowl and set aside for 15 minutes.

In a food processor combine tofu, yoghurt, chickpea flour, water, and black salt. Process until smooth.

Place the remaining flour in another large bowl and mix with remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the margarine in small pieces and knead until you have incorporated most of the margarine.

Pour the tofu-mixture into the flour mixture. Add the soy milk mixture, which should have a creamy and bubbly consistency by now.  Knead until all ingredients are well incorporated. The dough will have a moist and sticky consistency, like a stiff cake batter not like bread dough. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until doubled, around 90 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare your pan by greasing it with a generous amount of margarine. (You can use a bundt pan instead. Maybe you will have to adjust the baking time.) Place the almonds on the bottom of the pan:

Place almonds in the pan

Drain the raisins and add them to the batter. Knead shortly until incorporated and transfer the dough to the pan. Distribute evenly. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and let the batter rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) in time. Bake for 60 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the top of the cake gets too dark while baking, cover with aluminium foil.
Remove from oven, let cool for 2-3 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving and cut into 16 pieces.

Look how nicely the cake matches the weather:

A little bit of snow on the cake.

Snow in the street:

Lots of snow in the street. The weather forecast people shocked us a bit when predicting 50 cm (20 inches) of snow. Well, we are not there yet.

This entry was submitted to Susan’s YeastSpotting.

34 comments

You may also like

34 comments

NT April 30, 2017 - 17:25

This was very good. Even my partner who’s not usually a brioche-y bread fan liked it. I accidentally over-proved it the 2nd time – I set the timer, but was 20 minutes late putting it in the oven (MY FAULT, NOT the recipe), so the texture was a bit off, but the taste was still great, so I’ll definitely be making it again and make sure I don’t have something distracting me during the 2nd proof. Thanks for the recipe!

Mihl May 3, 2017 - 05:06

Thank you, NT!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 18, 2010 - 17:19

Such a pretty and serene snow picture! I love it!

YeastSpotting January 15, 2010 | Wild Yeast January 15, 2010 - 09:04

[…] Vegan Gugelhupf […]

dreaminitvegan January 12, 2010 - 23:31

Beautiful photo of the snow on the street and a beautiful looking cake. I really enjoy reading about the history of the desserts you make.

fortheloveofguava January 12, 2010 - 18:01

your post made me feel warm and shiver at the same time! :)

pretty… and yummy…

BitterSweet January 12, 2010 - 00:33

Mmm, sounds wonderful, the a lovely treat for a snowy day. Beautiful picture, too!

Cassie January 11, 2010 - 23:03

How wonderful! Like many others mentioned, your stories and lessons are wonderful editions :) The pictures are wonderful – a snowy street and snowy cake!

tofuparty January 11, 2010 - 19:59

What a coincidence. My daughter asked me only 10 min. ago to make some day a cake with raisins inside. Well, I found my recipe already. Thank you!!!

mihl January 11, 2010 - 20:49

You are welcome :D I hope your daughter and you will enjoy it!

Eric January 11, 2010 - 17:19

Wonderful Gugelhupf! I’ll have to try this, my Oma is always telling me there’s no way to make a Gugelhupf without eggs. Ha!

Beautiful snowy streets by you! My Onkel in Wasserburg sent me pics a few days ago of the record cold winter you are having. I’m so envious!

mihl January 11, 2010 - 17:59

That’s probably what my father would also tell you. :)

Sal January 11, 2010 - 16:01

it’s so pretty. i want snowy cake now to go with my snowy balcony!!

jessy January 11, 2010 - 02:50

i always learn something new from your posts, Mihl! your gugelhupf looks heavenly – and i love the snowy picture! i saw, if it’s going to be really cold – it might as well snow. yay! stay warm!

Jessica January 11, 2010 - 02:03

DELICIOUS looking cake! So perfect for the snowy weather.

amandatrombley January 11, 2010 - 01:24

Ohhhhh..so that’s what the tradition is all about! I was in Germany a few years ago and some kids came around and marked my inlaws door..somehow I missed the whole explanation (and certainly didn’t get any cake..bah!!). Wow..you do have some snow..good baking weather ;)

mihl January 11, 2010 - 09:18

All that singing and marking must have been pretty confusing for you. They should for sure have given you some cake to compensate you. ;)

River - The Crafty Kook January 11, 2010 - 01:02

I’ll take cake over singing any day! :-P

What a lovely cake! Would the Three Kings be offended if I made it with chocolate chips instead of raisins? Raisins are my nemesis.

Enjoy your pretty snow! :-)

mihl January 11, 2010 - 09:17

No, chocolate chips sound like a wonderful substitute!

Keeryah January 10, 2010 - 23:07

I adore your history lessons and German-language lessons almost as much as I adore the food! This cake looks absolutely wonderful…I think it will be my mission for this week.

Taymer January 10, 2010 - 22:33

I saw this cake a few times and I think I tried it. Is this the one that they sneak ham into sometimes? I went to this french east coast party and did not have a bite to eat and I tried a cake with this description. As usual informative post. I use to love snow now just looking at it scares me..lol
Have a good week

mihl January 11, 2010 - 09:16

There are savoury gugelhupf recipes. They sometimes do contain ham or similar things.

Diann January 10, 2010 - 20:03

Oh wow, look at all your snow! I’ll be so glad when it’s springtime again.

Your cake is so beautiful. I love how tall it is.

taleoftwovegans January 10, 2010 - 05:18

What a pretty snowy street picture! :) I have to say that I love how much I learn about various foods and their history through your blog. Thank you for making me more culturally aware.
-K

Meagan January 10, 2010 - 03:49

What a great way to use my bundt pan. I also enjoyed the history and language lesson!

Ricki January 10, 2010 - 03:10

Beautiful cake! I’ve never tasted gugelhupf but have wondered about it when I’ve seen it in bakeries–it’s so high and the inside does look a bit like bread! Thanks for the great history and explanation.

Trinity (of haikutofu) January 9, 2010 - 23:33

Yum! That looks awesome Mihl.

misoforbreakfast January 9, 2010 - 20:50

What a beautiful cake!

Mary January 9, 2010 - 20:25

So educational! I always learn so much about brot. Your street looks beautiful in the snow.

Jes January 9, 2010 - 19:59

This cake beats myrrh any day! And 20 predicted inches? Wow, that would be a doozy. Stay warm!

Josiane January 9, 2010 - 19:21

I don’t think I have ever had a yeasted cake. Time for me to do something about it! Your gugelhupf sounds like a delicious starting point!

Jackie January 9, 2010 - 18:23

Time you opened a bakery for twits like me who could never ever bake as well as you do :)

Sounds and looks soooo good.

C January 9, 2010 - 18:15

Oh, yum, Gugelhupf! I always loved the Marmorgugelhupf my grandma used to make, a mix of the normal batter and chocolate batter! I think I should ask her for the recipe :-)

The voracious Vegan January 9, 2010 - 17:41

The snowy street looks like the perfect setting for such a cozy and sweet cake. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds fantastic.

Comments are closed.