Home vegan Hazelnut-Fig Bread with Whole Grains

Hazelnut-Fig Bread with Whole Grains

by Mihl

Hazelnuts, figs, and spelt berries make this bread special.

More hazelnuts and even more bread, you ask? Why, yes! After talking about fruit bread in my last  bread post, I tried to come up with my own recipe for fruit bread. This version makes a wholesome loaf which will keep for a couple of days (and keep you full for a couple of hours). You can top it with jam or vegan cheese, if you like.

This recipe is still a work in progress. I was aiming for a very moist loaf, so I soaked the figs and added some soaked spelt berries to the dough as well. But the bread is not what I was looking for yet, so be prepared to see more fruit breads on this blog. And don’t get me wrong, this version is definitely worth a try. It has a great texture, it is firm and sturdy, but still light. The nuts add a great crunch and the figs some chewyness and of course a slightly sweet flavour.

Hazelnut-Fig Bread with Whole Grains (makes one loaf)

100 g whole spelt berries (or wheat)
100 g water

150 g dried figs (3/4 cup tightly packed)
120 ml (1/2 cup) apple juice

200 g whole wheat flour
200 g water
0.5 g (1/8 t) instant dry yeast

200 g whole wheat flour
3.5 g (1 t) instant dry yeast
10 g salt
1 T sugar
100 g hazelnuts

Coarse spelt meal for sprinkling.

Combine spelt berries and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside. (Don’t drain the grains.)

De-stem and quarter the figs. Combine with apple juice in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine 200 g whole wheat flour 200 ml water and 1/8 t instant dry yeast. Stir well, cover and let sit for two hours.

In a second large bowl, combine remaining flour, instant dry yeast, and sugar. Add grains and their liquid, figs and apple juice, and whole wheat batter. Mix well and knead for ten minutes. Place dough in a bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.

Preheat oven to 250 °C (480°F) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Add the hazelnuts and knead until they are distributed evenly. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured working surface and shape into a loaf. Sprinkle with coarse spelt meal. Transfer to the pan and let rise until doubled (one hour). Transfer to oven, reduce temperature to 200°C (400°F) and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Sprinkled with coarse spelt meal.

18 comments

You may also like

18 comments

Angela February 16, 2010 - 03:53

How did I not see this earlier?! I adore the hazelnut-fig combo, and I have the week off, so I am so making this!

Mo January 21, 2010 - 05:28

That is some gorgeous looking bread, Mihl!

River - The Crafty Kook January 20, 2010 - 15:55

One can never have too many hazelnuts or too much bread! It’s a beautiful crusty loaf, and I love how all the chunky goods look in there.

Because you are the German foods queen, I’ve been looking around your blog to try to find something to make for my “g” entry of E.A.T World. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be your Donauwelle! *drool*

amandatrombley January 20, 2010 - 04:07

oh..beautiful! And I love the new masthead photos!!

Melisser January 20, 2010 - 02:58

Your breads are always so beautiful!

jessy January 20, 2010 - 02:31

i don’t think there’s a better tasting combination than hazelnuts and figs, Mihl! you’re done it again with rock’n out the awesome bread! i love that it’s whole grain, too! nice touch!

Mike K January 20, 2010 - 01:16

I love hearty breads like this, and don’t bake nearly often enough – this is inspiring!

Jes January 19, 2010 - 22:27

That does look like a sturdy, filling breakfast bread!

JennShaggy January 19, 2010 - 18:28

Thanks, Mihl :) I can’t wait for the big day. That Saag Paneer was pretty darn tasty. It’s nice to know that you don’t have to be paranoid that there’s real dairy in it when you make it at home.

Mmm. Please send care package with bread haha.

BitterSweet January 19, 2010 - 14:53

Love that dense but soft-looking crumb, speckled with all sorts of goodies! So happy to see a recipe using whole grains as an add-in, those are my favorite sorts of loaves, either sweet or savory.

The voracious Vegan January 19, 2010 - 11:06

How delicious! I was just raving about how much I love figs, you have perfect timing with this recipe. I bet this bread is ridiculously tasty, I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

taleoftwovegans January 19, 2010 - 03:36

What an attractive bread! I bet that would make fantastic french toast! Next time I get the urge to bake bread (or am home avec the breadmaker) I might just have to give it a try- love the hazlenut, fig, apple combo! :)
-K

Trinity (of haikutofu) January 18, 2010 - 22:45

Yum! I’m glad you posted this- I’ve been trying to convince myself to bake with more whole grains. Your breads always look so gorgeous- I’ll have to give this a shot!

Sünne January 18, 2010 - 20:21

Oooh, that reminds me of those dried fruit-and-nut-breads I like a lot! Whole hazelnuts just make bread special. You seriously are a talented bread-baker!

Josiane January 18, 2010 - 19:01

This must be such a fabulous breakfast treat! It sounds as good as it is beautiful.

Penny January 18, 2010 - 18:54

One day, I will try your bread recipe!

cookeasyvegan January 18, 2010 - 18:43

That certainly looks beautiful. I love the idea of soaked figs in bread.

poverty_dieter January 18, 2010 - 16:36

Wow! That’s really pretty. The cross section looks like a painting. I bet it’s delicious!

Comments are closed.