Home vegan Onion Crusted Seitan Medallions

Onion Crusted Seitan Medallions

by Mihl

In Germany a roast is usually served for lunch on a Sunday. People over here eat their main meal at noon, while having something lighter for dinner. I have never had much interest in veganizing a huge brown chunk of meat, until I came across an onion crusted meat something on TV. The idea of slicing a roast into medallions and baking them with a mix of fried onions, mustard, and bread crumbs suddenly sounded delicious.  And it is perfect with baked potato wedges and garlic-thyme mushrooms.

This recipe is a little time-consuming, but if you prepare the seitan one day in advance, the rest will take less than an hour, while most of this time is inactive baking time. It’s for sure a perfect meal for a lazy Sunday when you feel like spending some time in the kitchen.

Sliced Roast

For the medallions, you will need half of the seitan recipe, which makes four slices. The potatoes and mushrooms will serve two people, so if you want to make this dish for four, prepare the double amount of potatoes and mushrooms.

Seitan (based on the ppk recipe)

dough:

1 1/2 cups  gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (20 g)
1 T onion powder

1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red balsamic vinegar
2 T jerk sauce
1 T Worcester sauce
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme

To make the seitan dough, combine gluten powder, yeast flakes, onion powder, zest, thyme, garlic, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix well and  add vegetable broth and red wine. Knead until an elastic dough has formed and all ingredients are incorporated well. In a large stock pot, combine all ingredients for the broth. Slice seitan dough into two equal pieces and place in cold broth mix. Place on stove and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let seitan simmer for an hour.

Let seitan sit in the broth until completely cooled. I let it sit in the pot in a cool place over night. You will need some of the broth later in the recipe, so don’t discard it.

For the onion-crusted seitan medallions:

1 t olive oil
2 medium onions (about 250 g), diced
1/4 cup medium-hot yellow mustard or Dijon
3 T panko bread crumbs
1 T jerk sauce
1 t fresh thyme
ground black pepper and salt to taste

Heat the olive oil in a pan and add onions. Fry over medium heat until slightly brown. Deglaze with 1/4 cup of seitan broth and keep cooking until all the liquid is absorbed. In a bowl combine mustard, bread crumbs, jerk sauce, and thyme. Add onions and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) and grease a baking dish with oil.
Slice one of the seitan pieces into four equal slices (2.5 cm [1 inch] thick). Place in baking dish and spread a generous amount of onion mix on top of each seitan piece. Set aside.

To make the potato wedges:

2 large potatoes, washed and patted dry
oil for brushing
salt, pepper, and paprika or chili powder for sprinkling

Slice potatoes into eight equal wedges each. Grease a second baking dish with oil. Place wedges in baking dish and spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with spices and transfer to oven. Bake for twenty minutes.  Then place the seitan medallions in the oven as well and bake both potatoes and medallions for another twenty minutes.  Stir the potatoes from time to time. Add 1/4 cup of seitan broth to the medallions after the first ten minutes to deglaze.

To make the garlic-thyme mushrooms:

1 t olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
210 g (3 cups) sliced white mushrooms
2 t fresh thyme, chopped
salt, pepper to taste

Heat oil in a non-stick skillet and fry garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme. Fry until the mushrooms are brown and crispy.

Remove seitan and potatoes from oven and assemble everything on a plate. Serve immediately.

Seitan roast served with baked potato wedges and mushrooms

33 comments

You may also like

33 comments

steffi August 19, 2013 - 09:50

Hi mihl
i just recently discovered your blog, i simply love it!
i have quite some experience in making seitan, when i saw this recipe i must say i had my doubts…It seemed to me that the amount of liquid you use for making the dough is very little. I tried it anyway (without jerksauce) and sooo happy i did! great texture, great flavour, great looks.
The idea of adding the zest is very original and its a great contribution to the whole.
Thank you!

Mihl August 19, 2013 - 10:20

Thank you Steffi! I think you have a great point about the liquid: of course it always depends of your batch of gluten flour,sometimes it is necessary to adjust it. But for this recipe it is crucial to use as little as possible so that the result will be firm. I am glad it worked out for you!

ulb March 23, 2012 - 22:22

Delicious! This is the first time I made my own seitan and it came out a bit too spongy. But still I really enjoyed the meal and it’s not too much work if you plan ahead… I prepared the seitan a day in advance and prepared the onion crust several hours before actually using it… worked really well. Thanks.

Andrea March 9, 2012 - 22:54

Haha, I just accidentally made the seitan broth w/ 1/4c balsamic vinegra and 1/4 c. Worcestershire! Instead of soy. It’s boiling now, so we’ll see what happens!

A. Perez February 16, 2010 - 10:17

Yes, wasnt the easiest to find but I found a few (only 3)after a lot of searching.
I did find there are gourmet groups devoted to the different commercial jerk sauces sold. Acording to what I read they all are different tasting but they do all have something in common though and that is the EXTREMELY HOT Peppers used in making them.
How do the Hotness of the peppers figure into the roast?? Im assuming cause its such a small amount you dont taste the heat??
Id like to see if I can make this roast exactly as was made cause I have never seen seitan that looks so real!!! I can only imagine the taste!! Though the idea of using a sauce with a pepper hotter than a Habareno makes me wonder if ill be chugging milk all night after tasting it…But it sounds intriguing enough to risk it…

mihl February 16, 2010 - 11:25

Yes, increase the amount of Worcestersauce. The jerk sauce I used has a similar taste to Worcestersauce. Yerk sauce is a hot sauce but it also adds an earthy note.There’s molasses and caramel in the version I used, that adds sweetness and a nint of caramel flavour It has a very complex flavour that is hard to describe. It#s almost like a chutney but different.
It’s usually used to spice up meat and since this is a faux-meat recipe, that is why I used it. I also adds colour and wanted a dark broth to colour the seitan. Worcestersauce will do the same thing. If it helps, I used this brand.
Btw, your broth won’t be hot, the chilies aren’t noticeable. You are right, it’s only a tiny amount of sauce.

A. Perez February 16, 2010 - 07:56

Ive never heard of jerk sauce..Never Jamaican jerk sauce..Im not even sure where to look for it here..(In US)..How vital is it to the recipe? Is there something one can sub for it or is there a home made version of it?? Looks like an interesting sauce and if I can get my hands on it im going to try it..

mihl February 16, 2010 - 08:49

I’m sure you can find recipes for home made versions on the net. Or try Worcestersauce instead. (Make sure it’s vegan)

A. Perez February 16, 2010 - 10:19

There is all ready Worcestershire sauce in the broth. Are you saying to increase the amount used?

Josiane February 4, 2010 - 23:02

Those onion-crusted medallions look amazing! Yes, the whole thing seems to be quite involved, but once in a while for a special occasion… totally worth it!

Cassie January 29, 2010 - 09:26

It seems that you have somehow combined gourmet and comfort food into one dish!

Jessica January 27, 2010 - 19:18

This made my stomach growl SO MUCH!

Jill January 27, 2010 - 14:00

This looks so good! It’s making me excited for dinner and it’s only 10:00 a.m.!

Melisser January 27, 2010 - 03:25

Holy crap! That looks amazingly good.

cookeasyvegan January 26, 2010 - 16:41

Ambitious recipe but it looks great. You should win some sort of cooking competition with that! The onion crust would be a very useful recipe for all sorts of things, not just seitan.

TheChicVegan January 26, 2010 - 16:05

Wow all of your recipes look so delicious! I will definitely have to try this “roast” though! It looks magnificent. :)

Kathy Hester (geekypoet) January 25, 2010 - 19:22

My mouth is watering! I must make this!!

tofuparty January 25, 2010 - 17:57

It seems like you don’t only master bread baking skills, but also seitan making skills. The seitan looks perfect.

Luciana January 25, 2010 - 16:14

This looks amazing. That is one gorgeous seitan roast, and anything encrusted with onions wins me over!

The voracious Vegan January 25, 2010 - 11:41

Best post ever! (Wait, I think I say that about all of your posts.)

But seriously, this is spectacular! That roast looks so much like meat, I just can’t believe it. I bet it tastes phenomenal.

amandatrombley January 25, 2010 - 02:17

I had to do a double-take because this looks so much like a non-vegan sunday roast! It looks totally amazing..I’m adding it to my recipe list to try out!

jessy January 25, 2010 - 00:53

i never would have thought to encrust something with onions, Mihl – it sounds awesome! i’m really digging the potato wedges, too! i think i could eat potatoes every day! mmmmmmmm!

Tamara January 24, 2010 - 22:37

Fabulous recipe! Reminds me of my Mom’s Sunday roast dinners.

t January 24, 2010 - 22:22

So fancy! I’m sure whoever shared this with you was totally thrilled.

Melissa January 24, 2010 - 21:07

Oh yumm- tis is what I call comfort food! Beautiful pictures, too!

C January 24, 2010 - 21:00

Oh man, that looks seriously amazing!!! I’ve never made Seitan myself, but I’m considering it now. I’m all for German / Austrian vegan comfort food :-)

Diann January 24, 2010 - 20:31

Yum, the onion crust sounds totally delicious! I’m sure it would be good atop mushrooms or eggplant or even a slice of toast.

Trinity (of haikutofu) January 24, 2010 - 20:29

Wow. That is the most gorgeous piece of seitan I’ve ever seen.

Boris January 24, 2010 - 18:24

Ohboyohboyohboy, that looks so yummy!
Say, where did you get the jerk sauce from? Did you really order it from the UK or is there some place in Germany one can typically get it from?

mihl January 24, 2010 - 18:26

Thank you! I found the sauce at an Asian grocery store here in Dresden.

veganappetite January 24, 2010 - 18:37

That looks so satisfying and delicious!

megan January 24, 2010 - 18:12

I never thought that I would say that a roast looked beautiful, but it really does! You did such a good job. And potato wedges=awesome!

Jes January 24, 2010 - 17:59

The onion crust looks amazing (and I bet it would work well on top of tempeh as well!)

Comments are closed.