Home vegan Carrot-Coconut Soup wit Lime

Carrot-Coconut Soup wit Lime

by Mihl

I always thought I didn’t like carrot soup. I imagined it would be sweet and for a long time, sweet and savoury didn’t go together in my book. I am working on that, I promise, and I think it’s getting better. I don’t even know if a traditional carrot soup (what’s traditional anyway?) is sweet. Weird thoughts? Anyway, this one is not sweet. This carrot soup is creamy, spicy, fruity, and slightly sour. If you ask me, it is the perfect soup because it has such a complex flavour. It also has a wonderful colour to finally rout those winter ghosts out of the house. Maybe it works?

Finally, carrot soup!

Carrot-Coconut Soup with Lime ( 4 small servings)

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely diced ginger
450 grams (1 lb) carrots, sliced into rounds
720 ml (3 cups) water
3 dried or fresh kaffir lime leaves
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons granulated onion
1 tablespoon Panang curry paste (substitute red, green, or yellow curry paste)
60 ml (4 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
120 ml (1/2 cup) full fat coconut milk
black pepper to taste

In a medium large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots, water, lime leaves, salt, granulated onion, and curry paste. Cook over medium to low heat for 15 minutes. Purée and stir in coconut milk and lime juice. Serve with brown rice and fresh cilantro.

29 comments

You may also like

29 comments

m_m June 30, 2010 - 22:56

I just made this — it’s excellent! I think I accidentally went a little heavy on the curry paste, but it’s so, so tasty. I’m serving it cold, as a summer soup.

Also, I’m not vegetarian, I’m a meat eater who loves good food in general. This is my favorite kind of vegetarian dish: so flavorful, so rich, and so punchy.

Thank you for sharing!

mihl July 1, 2010 - 14:54

Thank you for your feedback, glad you liked the recipe. Yes, vegan food is for all ;)

Melisser February 26, 2010 - 12:40

Mmm, I love lime juice in soups!

Mary February 19, 2010 - 16:25

That sounds delicious! It’s almost Thai, huh? Carrots and coconut milk go well together. I make carrot-coconut-almond soup, which is super filling, but lime sounds like a wonderful partner for carrots as well!

eatavegan February 19, 2010 - 14:02

Mmm that looks and sounds like it would be such a comforting soup! I usually go the sweet route with my carrot soups, but I really like the idea of adding lime juice and having a bit of sour — definitely going to try this next time!

liz(kamut) February 19, 2010 - 05:11

oh yum! why on earth have I not made carrot soup yet? It’s always pumpkin, and given that I’m such a nut for curry carrot dip in the v-con… anyway, tres gorgeous lunch, Mihl!

C February 18, 2010 - 20:40

funny, I’ve exactly the same thoughts about carrot soup. In fact, I tried one once and it was so sweeet. So maybe I should really try your recipe and make friends with carrot soup!!

Aimee February 18, 2010 - 17:49

This looks fantastic. I’ve only recently become a fan of carrot soup; now I’m eager to try your recipe!

Vaishali February 18, 2010 - 16:25

What a mindblowing, tongue-tickling combination of flavors, Mihl. Love the color of this soup too!

Jes February 18, 2010 - 16:12

I definitely think this works flavor-wise. Plus it’s relatively cheap, something that’s always a good thing in my book!

Jackie February 18, 2010 - 07:25

I love carrot soup and normally just add curry powder or just ginger to it to pep it up a bit. Your recipe sounds tastier and will be great as my Winter is approaching fast :)

Maurie Kirschner February 18, 2010 - 02:39

Sounds delicious! I have lots of carrots coming in the csa tomorrow – so I might just give this a try!

jessy February 18, 2010 - 02:20

this soup sounds wonderful, Mihl. i love the color and the combination of flavors! i need to pick up some lime leaves and give it a go. mmmmmmmm!

Cassie - Vegan Fox February 18, 2010 - 02:13

This looks good, but like you I’m generally skeptical of carrot soups. We tried a raw one from the Thrive book and I couldn’t eat more than a few bites.

Lisa (ShowMeVegan) February 18, 2010 - 00:35

ooh… sounds perfect with all those Thai flavors!

Penny February 18, 2010 - 00:02

I love carrot soup but this looks like a very interesting variation! I must try to get hold of some of those kaffir leaves…

Andrea February 17, 2010 - 21:44

Yes to carrot soup, and this one has some great flavor ideas. I’ve never tried kaffir lime leaves in my carrot soup, but I will now!

Sal February 17, 2010 - 21:34

it sounds lovely, I love carrot soup. the idea of adding curry paste and coconut milk is an awesome one!

JennShaggy February 17, 2010 - 21:05

Only for you, Mihl :) I bet you have all sorts of goodies you can trade.

This soup looks fantastic! I hope you ate it with some of that great bread your always posting.

Melissa February 17, 2010 - 21:01

Holy yumm- I love the taste of panang and now paired with carrots? Definately a must-try! Have a lovely day : )

Naomi Rose February 17, 2010 - 20:26

making this ASAP!!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) February 17, 2010 - 20:04

Yum yum! I love the coconut carrot combo.

Josiane February 17, 2010 - 18:17

I *love* carrot soup, and with such an interesting flavour combo, yours must be delicious! I’m trying it next time I feel like turning carrots into soup!

tahinitoo February 17, 2010 - 17:52

You create the best soup recipes and they always look so pretty in the pictures.

jeni treehugger February 17, 2010 - 17:21

Oooh it looks delicious!

Bonnie February 17, 2010 - 17:05

This looks just perfect for me! I don’t eat carrot soup often because I’m not very fond of the sweet taste of boiled carrots, but I really enjoy them when the sweetness isn’t overwhelming. Mmm, making me hungry…

taleoftwovegans February 17, 2010 - 16:49

This looks so delicious. I’ve wanted to try curry paste for a while now, but I never know what I’d put it in – now I do! Are the kaffir lime leaves super flavourful? I’ve never seen them, but I’ll keep my eyes peeled. -Eve

mihl February 17, 2010 - 16:59

Kaffir lime leaves have a special, very unique flavour, they support both the lime and the coconut component. You could look for them at an Asian grocery store, in the sections for frozen food.

The Ordinary Vegetarian February 17, 2010 - 16:44

I’d say this carrot soup was worth the wait. It seems so obvious now that I see it — panang curry in a pureed carrot soup.. duh! Way to go, seriously.

Also just seeing the words “full fat coconut milk” warms me up inside, no wussy lite coconut milk here!

Comments are closed.