Home vegan Oh no, she’s after us…

Oh no, she’s after us…

by Mihl

…with more bread. I know, but I can’t help myself. There’s nothing better than a fresh slice of bread. Call me carb queen.

Crispy and still warm

This bread is  slightly dark, has a crispy crust, and it’s smoky. No, I didn’t burn it, I added smoked spelt and chipotle powder.

I have written on this blog about grünkern before: unripe, smoked, and then dried spelt berries. Grünkern is not available outside of Germany I guess, but apparently you can get something very similar in many countries. It is called freekeh, farik, or green wheat and is basically the same as grünkern only that it is made from unripe wheat berries. You can buy it at Middle Eastern stores or  online and grind it into flour yourself, if you have the possibility. Of course you can substitute whatever flour you have on hand (wheat and spelt is best) and add a little more chipotle powder to the dough for similar results.

Grünkern. Grün means green.

Smoked Spelt and Chipotle Bread

100 g smoked spelt, ground into flour*
400 g German Type 1050 wheat flour**
350 g water
10 g fresh yeast or 3 g instant dry yeast (1 t)
10 g salt
1 t chipotle powder (1 1/2 if omitting the smoked spelt. Substitute mild smoked paprika, if you think it might get too spicy.)

* Use whole wheat or whole spelt flour instead
** This is similar to first clear flour (but first clear flour has a higher gluten content), use first clear flour or 50% whole wheat and 50 % bread flour instead.

Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, knead for ten minutes until the gluten is well developed and the dough isn’t sticky anymore. Add more flour or water, if necessary. Cover and let rise for one hour or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 250°C (480°F). Shape the dough and let rise for 45-60 min, or until doubled in size again. Brush with water and sprinkle with spelt or corn meal. Transfer to oven, reduce temperature to 200°C (400°F) and bake for 45 minutes, or until nicely browned.

29 comments

You may also like

29 comments

Boris June 27, 2010 - 18:50

I just baked this bread (in a machine I should confess) and it tastes awesome! This recipe is a definite keeper. My condolences to all of you who have a hard time getting Grünkern.

mihl June 28, 2010 - 20:38

I am glad you liked the bread!

Malitsu February 11, 2010 - 09:12

Smoked spelt? Now I’ve got to check the flour selves of my nearest hippie stores more closely. I just love all the things smoked but I’ve never tasted a smoked bread save for the ones by a campfire. Apparently it makes the loaf wonderfully dark as well, I first thought that had rye in it.

The Voracious Vegan February 7, 2010 - 14:45

STUNNING photos! That bread looks so incredibly good, my mouth is watering. A bit of olive oil to drizzle on top and I think that is dinner.

jeni treehugger February 6, 2010 - 13:48

Oh oh oh….looks so good I can almost smell it.

*looks guiltily at her abandoned bread machine*

phoenixdreaming February 6, 2010 - 11:47

Thanks mihl, your bread always looks so pretty! I’m going to try something similar today – I need to use up all my flour before I move!

Josiane February 5, 2010 - 21:57

Smoky, spicy, and crispy? That sounds yummy! Very inspiring, too – I should try spicing up the dough next time I bake something!

Andrea February 5, 2010 - 21:41

I’m commenting again to tell you I’ve given you an Honest Scrap award for your great blog. Brilliant ideas, gorgeous pictures – it just keeps getting better and better. Details on my latest post.

misoforbreakfast February 5, 2010 - 06:59

German and Austrian bread is my favorite. This looks wonderful.

Mary February 5, 2010 - 02:18

I admire your bread skills. That looks so yummy.

prideandvegudice February 5, 2010 - 00:46

I love reading your blog and hearing about foods, breads, and even spice combos that I’ve never heard of before. Thanks for being so unique! (and carby!)

mihl February 5, 2010 - 10:03

Yay, thanks for reading my blog!

Cassie - Vegan Fox February 4, 2010 - 23:17

Grünkern sounds wonderful! I really need to start making bread again. It’s such a wonderful treat and I’ve hardly delved into the field.

Steffi February 4, 2010 - 22:56

the bread looks like a proper German bakery thing, amazing. it’s not gonna be a help to most of you but Grünkern can be bought in posh parts of London (health food shops in Kentish Town, and the giant Whole Foods in Kensington at times).

mihl February 5, 2010 - 10:04

That’s good to know, if I ever move to London.

Alice February 4, 2010 - 22:43

The bread couldn’t look any perfect…you’re indeed an awesome baker (and carb queen)!

kitchenspoon February 4, 2010 - 21:18

Yumm–this bread looks and sounds aMaZinG!!

Trinity (of haikutofu) February 4, 2010 - 20:30

You should consider starting a bakery, Mihl! I’d move to Germany and rent the flat above your bakery so I could smell the bread every morning. I love chipotles, too. You rock.

mihl February 5, 2010 - 10:06

I wish I could…German bureaucracy would close it down after five minutes. Maybe a secret bakery?

Bianca- Vegan Crunk February 4, 2010 - 20:26

Ooh, I still have some grunkern left from the care package you sent me. Yes, I’m a grain hoarder. I’ve been scared to use it all for fear that I’ll never be able to buy anymore. It’s sooo good. I’ve been eating it in place of brown rice.

mihl February 5, 2010 - 10:06

Ha, I’m a grain hoarder, too. Use it, i can send you some more.

cookeasyvegan February 4, 2010 - 19:48

It seems I’m most likely to go bake bread after reading your blog. I’ve never seen smoked grains but yesterday I bought some hickory smoked salt (and some Indian black salt), and was thinking of trying some in a bread. I wasn’t sure what it would be like but after seeing your post, I may try it. The salt is so smoky that after I touched the plastic bag, my fingers smelled of smoke!

mihl February 5, 2010 - 10:07

I love smoked salt!

miss v February 4, 2010 - 19:30

if you can do something well, keep doing it! not to mention, if i ever need a bread recipe, i know i can always count on your blog. :)

Ricki February 4, 2010 - 19:10

Mihl, your bread is amazing! That loaf looks phenomenal–and I can’t even imagine how great the chipotle must taste in it.

Jes February 4, 2010 - 19:06

Yay! I was so looking forward to this recipe. And I can’t wait to give it a try!

Tiffany February 4, 2010 - 18:56

Oohhh I love bread too. Yours always look amazing! I’m intrigued by this smoky bread.

Eric February 4, 2010 - 18:12

I 100% agree there is nothing better than a fresh slice of bread!

Vegan Thyme February 4, 2010 - 17:26

Your bread baking skill is really impressive! What a beautiful loaf and the flavors sound scrumptious! As I type, I am eating a sammich made with two thin slices of the Italian Rolls from Bread Baker’s Apprentice–I am hooked on the home bread baking for sure! Your recipe is inspiring me to try another bread today!

Comments are closed.