Home vegan Macaroon Muffins

Macaroon Muffins

by Mihl

I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen. In my upcoming posts you can expect recipes for Müsli Bread, Garlic Cardamom Rolls, and White Chocolate Marzipan Cookies. I’m not done with tweaking them yet but I hope to get the recipes up soon. As I already mentioned in my last post, I’m very busy right now so this is a rather short post. And it’s about muffins. About very, very good muffins! My usual taste-testers, the co-workers, were raving about these. They are made with coconut. I called them Macaroon Muffins because they have this macaroon like top and their taste is close to that of coconut macaroons.

Macaroon Muffins with Chocolate Chips

Macaroon Muffins (makes 12)

112 g (1/2 cup) vegan margarine, softened
200 g (1 cup) sugar
60 g (1/4 cup) plain soy yoghurt
60 ml (1/4 cup) soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
240 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
80 g (1 cup) dried and finely shredded coconut
50 g (1/3 cup) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line a muffin pan and set aside.

Cream together margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Mix soy yoghurt, soy milk, and extracts. Beat into margarine mixture. Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut. Mix until combined. The batter will be rather stiff. Fold in chocolate chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

34 comments

You may also like

34 comments

Mo April 27, 2010 - 00:49

I can’t wait to see about garlic cardamom rolls. Woah. I’m intrigued.

Bethany April 18, 2010 - 23:04

I can practially taste the crunch on top of those muffins. they look so good!

Sarah April 18, 2010 - 14:07

Ooohhh, these sound amazing! And I truly cannot wait for your white chocolate marzipan cookies recipe. I am such a huge marzipan fan, and a macaroon fan. Exciting!

Valerie April 18, 2010 - 04:10

I made these for my fiance’s birthday, he’s a very picky eater and he loved them! I can only find chocolate chips sometimes, so I crushed up a milk chocolate bar instead Also, I can’t find soy yogurt, so I substituted soy milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice, and they were amazing! Thank you for this delicious recipe!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) April 17, 2010 - 05:31

Those look awesome, girl! I love the macaroon flavor! Can’t wait for the marzipan cookies. I could eat a whole pound of marzipan.

Ricki April 16, 2010 - 19:37

These look and sound fantabulous! Love coconut. :) And your other “experiments” also sound incredible–can’t wait to see all the recipes!

River - The Crafty Kook April 16, 2010 - 00:55

They look perfect and I am very jealous of your co-workers! I made your Rote Grütze today for a future E.A.T World post and it was delicious! Definitely something I want to make again and again! :)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan April 15, 2010 - 23:24

Gorgeous photo! I love those cupcakes liners. What a great idea for a muffin!

Vegan Thyme (Kelly) April 15, 2010 - 22:19

I love anything with coconut! These sound perfect right about now!

Sal April 15, 2010 - 21:40

they sound awesome, I love coconut. and muffins!

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan April 15, 2010 - 18:24

My husband loves, love coconut macaroons so….I think these would make him happy. Oh , I better get on this eh?

Jackie April 15, 2010 - 11:36

Thanks for recipe, I love muffins.

Celine April 15, 2010 - 10:35

they look scrump-a-diddly-cious, C.!

veganlisa April 14, 2010 - 12:43

As I read your post I could almost taste the delicious coconut concoction your described. I have a friend who would swoon for these muffins. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

The Voracious Vegan April 14, 2010 - 10:42

WOW! That photo is making my mouth water! I imagine the texture of these muffins is out of this world, they sound so good.

taleoftwovegans April 14, 2010 - 10:36

Yum! I am eagerly awaiting these white chocolate marzipan cookies, two things I love in cookie format, count me in! ;)
Also loving the sound of these muffins, back in my pre-vegan days I was a huge fan of macaroons, so these are right up my alley.
-K

Monica April 14, 2010 - 06:48

I’ve been loving the muffins lately too… my go-to is bran. But these look stellar. I’m especially looking forward to the musli muffin. I see you use soy yogurt… fascinating!

T April 14, 2010 - 04:13

Oh, I love macaroons! But garlic-cardamom sounds pretty intriguing too! Hurrah for experimenting, you mad scientist, you!

jessy April 14, 2010 - 02:48

squeeeeeeeeeee! dan loooooves all things coconut, i’m gonna have to make these muffins for him, Mihl! muffins are pretty easy for me to make gluten-free, so i’ll give them a whirl that way so i can enjoy a few, too! sorry work has been so crazy lately – i hope this week isn’t too bad! looking forward to reading about your experimental baked deliciousnesses. superw00t!

Josiane April 14, 2010 - 00:01

I can almost feel the slight crunch of those muffin tops… They look perfect!

shellyfish April 13, 2010 - 22:25

I believe all muffin-dedicated posts are right-on. These sound lovely.

Kiersten April 13, 2010 - 22:00

I love coconut in baked goods! These sound awesome. All those other recipes you mentioned sound good too, I can’t wait to see what you post.

Tiffany April 13, 2010 - 21:10

What a cool combination. The tops of those muffins really do look macaroon-like. I’ve been baking so much lately as well, and I’m looking forward to posts about all of that kitchen experimentation you’ve been doing. :) Everything sounds really good.

Melisser April 13, 2010 - 20:54

Oooh, I have been getting more & more in to muffins. These sound great!

Elinor of Pride & Vegudice April 13, 2010 - 20:33

Experimuffins!

Bianca- Vegan Crunk April 13, 2010 - 20:03

These look delicious. I love the tops! I’ve made your white chocolate chip blueberry muffins before, and I can attest that your muffins are the best!

Aimee April 13, 2010 - 19:23

Thank you, yes. I’d love some! these look amazing!

Andrea April 13, 2010 - 19:11

These look like the perfect muffins for a special breakfast or brunch.

The Ordinary Vegetarian April 13, 2010 - 17:12

I do love the sound of these, and all that I am missing is the coconut extract. I know you say that it is optional but the more coconut the better if you ask me. I’m going to pop out at lunch today and see if I can find some.

Kelly April 13, 2010 - 17:00

Oh boy do these look deelish! What a great photo! I can almost taste them…lovelove the combination of coconut and chocolate. I must say that they do look a little like they straddle the cupcake-muffin line a bit. That’s okay by me, since I like cupcakes too. :-)

mihl April 13, 2010 - 17:04

Yes, I think these would make great cupcakes, too. With some chocolate frosting for example.

Marla April 13, 2010 - 16:50

The tops of these look decidedly macaroonish, and I love macaroons. You may have just scratched an itch we didn’t know we had!

Penny April 13, 2010 - 13:51

Oh! Yum, yum, yum!!!! These look and sound SO good!
I don’t know where I’d get coconut extract, though… I see that it’s optional but presumably it really ups the coconut taste. Would subbing coconut milk for soya milk work, do you think? I don’t want to mess around with your tested recipe unless you think it would work…

mihl April 13, 2010 - 14:29

This works perfectly without the extract and using coconut milk instead sounds like an excellent idea, Penny!

Comments are closed.