Home vegan Ajvar, Patties, and Chickpeas

Ajvar, Patties, and Chickpeas

by Mihl

The weather hasn’t changed much lately. I’m sweating while typing this and it’s not even 10 a.m. Melted brain, anyone? We’re on a fruit, salad, and cereal diet most of the time, but sometimes I get fed up with cold food and I turn on the stove or oven. Yesterday I made Terry’s steamed white seitan (from Viva Vegan) and grilled two cut loaves after they had cooled down. Terry’s seitan recipes are the best! I marinated the seitan in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, liquid smoke, and soy sauce. Before steaming the seitan, I added 2-3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley to the dough and later grilled it indoors in a pan.

Terry’s seitan and ajvar chickpeas

We served this wich ajvar chickpeas: chickpeas, olive oil, fresh parsley, a couple of tablespoons ajvar. Ajvar is a Serbian red pepper and eggplant relish, which can be bought in almost every supermarket over here. But it can also easily be made at home. For a traditional version, the vegetables are cooked until they fall apart and get all mushy. I skipped that step and just grilled the vegetables. Ajvar can be used as a spread for bread, a dip for grilling, a pasta or pizza sauce, etc…My version is a bit hot and I added onions, which are not part of a traditional ajvar. But I like them in the spread.

Ajvar

Ajvar

3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
1/2 medium eggplant
1/2 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 dried piri-piri peppers or a small fresh red chili
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1-1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper for taste

Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place peppers and eggplant on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until the skin of the peppers starts to turn black and the eggplant is soft. Set aside to cool. Tip: If you place the hot peppers in a bowl and cover it with a lid or plate, the skin can be easily removed afterwards.

Fry onion and garlic in one tablespoon olive oil and set aside. Peel the peppers and scoop out eggplant flesh. Purée in a food processor. Combine with remaining ingredients (and remaining oil) and season with salt and pepper. Store in the fridge.

Broccoli Butter Bean Burgers

We use the ajvar as a spread for bread or even for burgers. I made these broccoli butter bean burgers with some leftover broccoli and they came out amazing. I added some ajvar to the burger itself and used some more as a spread. Delicious!

Broccoli Butter Bean Patties (makes 8 patties)

250 g cooked broccoli (9 oz.)
1 14 oz. can butter beans (mature lima beans), drained and rinsed
2-3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh sage
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons roasted and salted peanuts
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon ajvar
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
50 g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Combine broccoli, butter beans and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add remaining water, if necessary. Add sage, garlic, peanuts, liquid smoke, hot sauce, and ajvar and process again until smooth. Stir in nutritional yeast and panko. Season with salt and pepper. Form 8 patties. To fry them with a minimal amount of oil, spray a non-stick pan with a thin layer of oil and heat the pan. Fry the patties slowly, over medium heat for about 5 minutes on one side. Flip around and fry for 5 more minutes. Repeat with both sides. These patties keep well in the fridge for a couple of days.

If you leave out the panko bread crumbs, this makes a wonderful spread too. You know, if you don’t feel like frying while the heat melts everything.

36 comments

You may also like

36 comments

Dairy Free Central European Vegan Liptauer Cheese | Recipe by The Messy Vegetarian Cook June 8, 2011 - 16:17

[…] theme, loosely based on dishes from participating countries. Served with a heaping stack of bread, Ajvar from Seitan is My Motor made the final cut this year alongside the usual suspects: hummus, […]

Mo July 29, 2010 - 23:32

That first picture is making me so hungry! And I totally agree about Terry’s seitan.

Jenna July 14, 2010 - 20:22

Terry’s seitan recipes really are the best! Reno and I really liked the Red Seitan a lot. I’ll have to try the White Seitan soon.

JennShaggy July 14, 2010 - 18:12

Thanks, Mihl! They were so much fun to make :)

All of these dishes look gorgeous! It’s only breakfast time here, but I’d still devour them all.

Carrie July 14, 2010 - 17:01

Those burgers look like something I would love! Yum!

Here’s hoping you get some relief from the heat soon!

Sarah (GF vegan) July 14, 2010 - 14:27

The weather’s horrid here too! SO muggy it’s disgusting and the rain just isn’t clearing it. Love the look of those burgers, i’m sure i could make GF version. All the food looks awesome, as per usual :)

mihl July 14, 2010 - 14:47

If you have access to gf oats, use those.

Eric July 14, 2010 - 13:47

Wow that seitan looks mouthwatering. I’ve never heard of Ajvar before but I like the sound of it.

Crystal (That Vegan Blog) July 14, 2010 - 03:59

Your broccoli butter bean burger sounds like a winning combo! When you eat them inside a bun do they hold their shape or do they squish out a little?

mihl July 14, 2010 - 09:29

I suppose they squish out a bit. They hold their shape better if you cool and reheat them.

Jen July 13, 2010 - 22:44

I just discovered your website and I am super excited! I am a vegetarian (flirting with veganism) living in Germany and I’m never sure about things I can buy, etc. (My German isn’t the best, although I kind of manage to communicate…) I am looking forward to reading the past posts on your blog for good tips! Thanks for making me smile tonight, even though I’m sweating (as you said, it is hot here!)!

mihl July 14, 2010 - 09:29

Hi Jen! Feel free to email if you have questions.

Vegan Thyme (Kelly) July 13, 2010 - 20:27

Okay this ALL looks YUM! And my dinner plans are solved for tonight! Mihl–this sauce is on the menu–wow–I love the look of it in the jar! Even better is that I have Viva Vegan cookbook–pulled it out just now in fact (but I had yet to try anything in it)–you gave me the push I needed, girl! Thanks so much and I hear ya about the heat–hang in there–fall will soon be here!

mihl July 14, 2010 - 09:30

That book is so awesome. You should make every single recipe!

Jill - Vegan Backpacker July 13, 2010 - 19:06

I really like the butter bean patty idea. Homemade bean burgers are the best! I’ve only ever tried black bean and chickpea. Such a nice BBQ meal suggestion :)

Kiersten July 13, 2010 - 17:11

I have never had ajvar before but I bet it’s yummy! I am not much of an eggplant person, but I do like it when it’s used in a spread or dip. Your seitan and chickpeas look so yummy! I wish I had a grill so I could try grilled seitan.

mihl July 13, 2010 - 17:13

The recipe is perfect for hiding eggplant. You really don’t taste much of it. Do you have a grill pan? That’s what I used. we also don’t ahve a grill.

jrsimon56 July 13, 2010 - 05:19

I completely have to make those butter bean burgers. Never thought to throw broccoli in there. Thanks for sharing! I love how much I learn on your blog.

Andrea July 13, 2010 - 04:50

“Butter bean” sounds so much more evocative than “lima bean.” I definitely want to make butter bean burgers. I love that name! The ajvar sounds great, too.

Amey July 13, 2010 - 04:23

COOOOL! I love ajvar. We discovered it when we spent a month in Croatia & Bosnia Herzegovina, a few years back. Just now we have two giant jars in the cupboard, which my boyfriend purchased on a whim. I love these idea for putting them to use… Usually we just put it on some bread, but that’s only so nutritious. I’ll definitely try this these butter bean burgers… they look perfect!

River - The Crafty Kook July 13, 2010 - 02:43

Oy! How I regret not making the time to make Terry’s seitan before we hit the road! It looks amazing!

The ajvar is so vibrant and colorful! It looks so yummy sitting atop that awesome pile of patties! :)

Jes July 13, 2010 - 02:36

I’m sending cooler weather vibes your way–somehow we lucked out and got a weird cold weather front today, maybe it’ll hop the ocean and hit you too! The avjar looks amazing–I’m going to have to make it with market produce when the eggplants & peppers are in full swing later on and those broccoli burgers look perfect! Love them!

jessy July 13, 2010 - 02:08

zomg, butter bean burgers?!?! yay! dan and i looooove butter beans – i even found some fresh at the market this past weekend. i believe i squeeeeed out loud in delight right there at the market. ah ha ha! i cannot wait to make your butter bean burgers, Mihl – we make ours often, but we usually use the same ingredients – just peppers, onions, garlic, etc. yours look and sound like one deeeelicious way to change it up! peanuts, broccoli, hot sauce, ajvar – what a grand combination, my friend! we made ajvar a looong time ago, but your version sounds so much more delicious – totally gonna have to make it, too.glad Terry’s white seitan was yummy. i never made seitan and now that i’ve g-f i never thought to, but i bet dan would looooove to enjoy it sometime, i should pick up Viva Vegan super soon. yay!

Tiffany July 13, 2010 - 01:42

Ajvar is completely new to me, but it sounds awesome. The patties look equally delicious!

veganhomemade July 13, 2010 - 00:43

Broccoli in burgers! Sounds really tasty.

Kip July 12, 2010 - 23:36

Your ajvar looks amazing! I’m definitely going to give that a go, and I also love the idea of broccoli as a major component of a burger.

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan July 12, 2010 - 22:12

I love Terry’s seitan recipes as well. I like the marinade you used on that one, so light. Perfect for this summer heat. Never heard of Ajvar but looks amazing! I love to try different spreads.

We are alot about burgers during the summer, I’ll give this one a try sounds mighty tasty.

Karen (An American is Macedonia) July 12, 2010 - 21:46

Ajvar is certainly delicious! However, it is actually a Macedonian concoction. Won’t be long before we are making (and eating) it by the gallon in Skopje…Yum!

Rachel July 12, 2010 - 21:05

This looks lovely, would love a plate of this right now. It’s so hot here too!

jenny July 12, 2010 - 20:13

wow…that grilled seitan looks amazing! i have never used liquid smoke before, but it sounds like it would be super worked into the seitan.

Sarah July 12, 2010 - 18:46

This is some supremely gorgeous food, Mihl!

Morgan July 12, 2010 - 16:15

Ok, I need to make some ajvar! I have never seen it wehre I live, it looks relly good and interesting!

Noelle July 12, 2010 - 15:42

Wow, I already had set in mind to make Terry’s seitan recipe when I got home for a traditional Mexican dish I have in mind. I can;t wait now that I have seen your picture! Looks fantastic!

miss v July 12, 2010 - 14:19

heck yea – that ajvar looks tasty and simple enough to make. i definitely want to try it!

Adriana from Baking Powders July 12, 2010 - 14:11

drooling, drooling and drooling. never tasted ajvar but now i really want to!

The Voracious Vegan July 12, 2010 - 12:06

I’ve never heard of Avjar before but now I want it! It’s got everything I love in one place and I can imagine a million different delicious uses for it. Those burgers, especially, are gorgeous! A beautiful tower of amazingness. Beautiful photo!

Comments are closed.