Home vegan Frikadellen (vegan “beef” patties)

Frikadellen (vegan “beef” patties)

by Mihl

The German ancestor of the Hamburger patty has many names: Bulette, Frikadelle, Fleischpflanzerl or Beefsteak. It’s a meat patty often served almost like a hotdog: with bread and mustard.

Frikadellen

There are many different recipes for this patty. The original version calls for ground beef, eggs, stale bread, onions, and spices. If it is a German beefsteak there is no bread involved, if it is made with stale bread, it is a bulette or frikadelle. My family used to mix these up and we called a frikadelle a beefsteak. My grandmother used to make them for us and served them with  fried onions, salt potatoes, melted butter, chopped parsley, and a salad.

I came up with a very basic and versatile version. You can make this plain version or add more spices and herbs to it, more liquid smoke or mix in some tomato paste. The basic version is wonderful between a sandwich spread with hot mustard and topped with two or three tomato slices or even pickled cucumbers.

Frikadellen (makes 8 patties)

30 g (1/2 cup) TVP granules, reconstituted with
120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable broth
ca. 80 g stale bread (3 slices of baguette)
water
1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
150 g tofu (5.3 oz)
1 tablespoon arrowroot (or cornstarch)
2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or soy flour)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/2 tablespoon jerk sauce or vegan worcestersauce
1 teaspoon paprika (plain or smoked)
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence (or on tablespoon chopped parsley for a more “authentic” version)
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Reconstitute TVP granules in hot vegetable broth. Soak the bread in some water and squeeze most of it out again after the bread has softened. In a large bowl combine TVP, bread, and onion. Crumble in tofu and mash everything well. If there are some lumps of bread left, that’s okay and part of the texture. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Form eight patties. Pour oil into a pan and heat well. I used only one teaspoon. If you want more “authentic” frikadellen, use more oil (3-3 tablespoons) and deep fry them. If you use only one teaspoon, fry over medium heat, turning the patties from time to time.

If you ask me, these taste best when they are not piping hot. To be honest, I like these best cold, part of a vegan buffet or served in a baguette with mustard.

28 comments

You may also like

28 comments

Vegan Food Friday: Great Fakespectations « Epicurvegan March 18, 2011 - 18:01

[…] Frikadellen (German vegan “beef” patties) […]

The Voracious Vegan July 30, 2010 - 14:02

Ooooh I love vegan meat, and beef patties sound perfect. Your blog makes me drool like none other. Seriously, I love everything you make. Want to move to Saudi and cook for me everyday? Please!?!

mihl July 30, 2010 - 14:37

I would come…but only in winter!

Eric July 30, 2010 - 05:33

That looks so good! I’m going to try making this, my family makes Frikadellen at most holidays!

DJ Karma (VegSpinz) July 29, 2010 - 23:34

Sounds “friken” delicious! haha!

Mo July 29, 2010 - 22:26

Woah. Those patties look divine.

Penny July 29, 2010 - 17:48

These we SO good! A much healthier version of a burger but a tasty equivalent! I put some avocado on them and some vegan slaw and they flew off the platter. There we absolutely no leftovers! I did add a little extra something to the burger mix though – chickpeas. I had these Chunky Chickpeas lying around from Tasty Bite, which are seasoned and I tend to throw them on everything. I thought they’d give the burger an interesting texture. The combination turned out great and the flavors and textures seemed to accent each other very well. I definitely recommend trying this as well as checking out the rest of Tasty Bite’s line – they have tons of vegan options! Thanks for the great recipe and bon appetit!

mihl July 29, 2010 - 18:24

I am very glad you liked them. Your chickpea addition sounds awesome! Thank you for the suggestion.

Sünne July 29, 2010 - 16:00

Oooh, these look scrumptious! Where did you find vegan Worcestershire sauce in Germany? I’ve seen some that might have been but the ingredient lists were loooooong.

I really want to try all of your recipes!

miss v July 29, 2010 - 14:16

a burger post??! i’m sure the next post will be about how to make the perfect buns, right!? :) they do look good!

Jen July 29, 2010 - 13:17

Mmm…I can’t wait to try this! My partner (non-veggie) has brought home Frikadellen from the grocery and I was intrigued, but of course couldn’t try it. Now I can! (I also *love* the name — it sounds like something one would do on the dance floor — gettin’ all frikadellen on some guy/girl or something.)

mihl July 29, 2010 - 17:04

Ha, I love that!

t July 29, 2010 - 12:01

Mmmm, lekker! I just got some TVP so I will have to give these a whirl!

PS- do you have any idea whether one can find vital wheat gluten flour in Germany? What would it be called?

Monica July 29, 2010 - 07:04

As you may know, I’m on the quest for the perfect veggie burger. These sound very good, though I don’t usually cook with TVP as it is quite processed. However, I do actually like TVP and have a bit in my cupboard for when I’m in the mood for spaghetti “bolognaise”. I love the spices you’ve used here – how well do these burgers hold together? Do you think silken tofu would work?

mihl July 29, 2010 - 17:03

They hold together pretty well because of the bread and the tofu. You can try to use silken tofu but I don’t think it works as well as regular firm tofu.

Ricki July 29, 2010 - 03:08

They look like fabulous burgers! And like you, I tend to prefer patties and burgers cold! I often eat them the next day for breakfast. :)

Robert July 28, 2010 - 23:21

Where is the recipe index? :(

Vegan Thyme (Kelly) July 28, 2010 - 16:45

Another one for the Faves tab! However it’s pronounced, it WILL be made here in this vegan home soon!

Kiersten July 28, 2010 - 03:08

For some reason I can never get anything made with TVP to stay together. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong :(

Jessica July 28, 2010 - 00:06

Those look delicious. I love revisiting recipes that can be veganized just as much as I love discovering new foods.

urbanvegan July 27, 2010 - 18:08

Looks very satisfying!

Celine July 27, 2010 - 17:29

jerk sauce! ha.
I needs me some of all of that, C. do you deliver to Cali?

mihl July 27, 2010 - 17:34

You know I do – at least the jerk sauce.

Sarah (GF vegan) July 27, 2010 - 13:02

Mmmm, those burgers look hearty! And the lentil peanut rolls… i’m going to check the recipe out now.

Thank you for your well wishes, I really appreciate them :) x

Diana July 27, 2010 - 01:57

Hi! Mmm the frikadellen looks so yummy! Sounds great with bread and mustard (love!).

Trinity (of haiku tofu) July 27, 2010 - 01:20

The frikadellen looks wicked, Mihl! And the lentil rolls look like savory cinnamon rolls- I’ll have to try them!

Jes July 26, 2010 - 20:48

Those look perfect for autumn–I’m going to have to bookmark ’em for sure. And those lentil peanut rolls look great too!

Morgan July 26, 2010 - 16:45

Oh my goodness! That looks so good, like the kind of food I love, and I know my husband would love this too,! YUM!

Comments are closed.