Home dessert Vegan Tiramisù

Vegan Tiramisù

by Mihl

When I went vegan over three years ago, I didn’t have much baking experience. I adapted many vegan and non-vegan recipes and many of those adaptions failed. I once tried to make a vegan tiramisù. The sponge cake base fell apart completely and the filling  had an off soy taste. That removed tiramisù from my to-do lists for quite some time.

This weekend I made another attempt to veganize tiramisù and this time I was successful, I think. I am slightly proud both about the creamy filling and the sponge cake. Like most other, German sponge cake (Biskuit) recipes call for tons of eggs, since they are important for the fluffy and light texture. Like I wanted to make tiramisù for ages, I also wanted to make Biskuit for a long time. Who knew that all it needs is several spoons of chickpea flour to get almost the same results?

Since I don’t have access to vegan cream cheese and vegan sour cream, I made the filling with soy yoghurt, cashews and coconut oil which turned out to be a perfect combination.

The filling is creamy and rich and has a mild almost cream like taste. The sponge cake is so light that it absorbs all the coffee and alcohol pretty well. This is the perfect treat to bring to a party or share it with your family.

Tiramisù (for one 18 x 28 cm or 7 x 11 inch pan)

For the sponge cake:
3 tablespoons chickpea flour
150 ml (1/2 cup + 1/8 cup) hot water
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
100 g (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
50 g cornstarch (6 tablespoons)

Line a 18 x 28 cm square pan (7 x 11 inch) with parchment paper. It is important to use parchment paper as the cake tends to stick to the pan when greased. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).

In a bowl, whisk together chickpea flour and hot water. Add sugar and oil and beat constantly. Add flour, baking powder, and starch. Transfer to pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. You should keep an eye on the oven, as the cake burns easily.

Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Remove and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

For the filling:
625 g soy yoghurt (22 oz)
200 g raw cashew nuts (7.1 oz)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
150 g powdered sugar* (1 1/4 cups)
110 g coconut oil, melted and cooled (1/2 cup)

*This filling is only mildly sweetened because the sponge cake is very sweet. Please feel free to add more sugar if you like your desserts sweeter. You can also add some vanilla extract to the filling, if you feel like it.

In a food processor, combine yoghurt and cashew nuts and process until smooth. Add flour and sugar and process into a smooth paste. Pour coconut oil into the mixture and process until smooth again.

240 ml freshly brewed and cooled coffee (1 cup)
2-4 tablespoons coffee liqueur or Amaretto, to taste

1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

Slice the cake into two equal layers. Place one layer on the bottom of the pan (the same pan you baked the cake in). Mix coffee with alcohol and carefully pour half of the mixture over the cake layer, soaking the whole cake with coffee. Pour half of the filling over the soaked cake layer, distributing it evenly. Place second piece of cake on top, soak with coffee and pour remaining filling on top. Sift cocoa over the tiramisù and transfer to fridge. Let sit for several hours or overnight. Serve with strong coffee or tea.

Straight from the pan

59 comments

You may also like

59 comments

I Tiramisu August 30, 2017 - 13:41

[…]  It is worth making just to sit a slice on a pretty plate and take a picture of.  After seeing Seitan is My Motor‘s recipe, I was inspired to make it […]

Tiramisù vegano | Theobeans January 31, 2017 - 06:53

[…] Ecco la ricetta di Mihl di ‘Sietan is my motor’ […]

Why I Cook, Interview Series at Olives for Dinner October 6, 2016 - 18:17

[…] (Constanze’s Vegan Tiramisù) […]

Vibrant Wellness Journal | Holistic health, clean living, healthy recipes! November 22, 2015 - 01:38

[…] Here are some notes: If you don’t drink coffee, substitute an herbal coffee like Teeccino or black tea. Make the recipe in a square baking dish or tart pan; don’t use a springform pan unless you know for sure that it is watertight– you don’t want to lose all that coffee! And finally, this recipe has been on my to-do list for a long time, inspired by the recipe from the vegan blog, Seitan is my Motor. […]

Cooking resolutions update, part 2 | Eating with the Rabbits September 30, 2014 - 13:03

[…] made a full dish of the stuff. The one pictured above was a version of the wonderful recipe from Seitan is my Motor (I had to make a different cake because I was out of chickpea flour) that I made for Christmas last […]

Veganes Tiramisu mit Cashewcreme | anders einfachanders einfach August 2, 2014 - 20:27

[…] Originalrezept könnt ihr auf Englisch hier […]

Vegan for the holidays | Mojo Central November 27, 2013 - 17:19

[…] Vegan Tiramisù—Seitan is My Motor […]

Not so Japanese Layered Matcha Cake | seitan is my motor June 9, 2011 - 15:15

[…] solved my problems. I thought about that for a minute. But then I changed my plan. I have made a vegan sponge cake before and thought this might be a good starting point for the jelly […]

VegLite.com » Easter 2011 May 1, 2011 - 19:40

[…] http://seitanismymotor.com/2010/08/03/tiramisu/ tiramisu tiramisu share with me Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post Bookmark in Browser Tell a friend […]

Kelli Rain March 28, 2011 - 03:53

You are a god!
This is amazing! I used vanilla coconut yoghurt instead though, and had to make the lady-fingers gluten free. It was good enough to entice my very NOT vegan significant other.
Best tiramisu ever. I’m so happy I finally made this. Thank you, thank you!!!

mihl March 28, 2011 - 08:59

Glad you liked it, Kelli! And thanks for your feedback!

Méga recette du placard : le tiramisu végé « Végébon February 27, 2011 - 00:07

[…] noix de cajou (ici), de la noix de coco (ici), de la lécithine (ici), du tofu (ici), du yaourt (ici) et/ou de la crème soja à fouetter (ici). J’ai arbitrairement évité ces ingrédients, car […]

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan February 1, 2011 - 17:47

I’m surprised I never commented on this. This will be a perfect dessert for this weekend. I always like to have feedback so I’ll comment back on how it turned out.
Oh andI have one question. Does it keep well for a day or two?

mihl February 1, 2011 - 17:50

Yes, it does. We stored it in the fridge and ate the leftovers for 3-4 days, I think. Hope you like it.

Tucker December 27, 2010 - 04:13

Made this today, it was amazing. The yogurt filling makes it much lighter than typical tiramisu. And it was beautiful. I put a teaspoon of hazelnut extract in the sponge cake, just for added flavor. I was suprised at how awesome the cake turned out as well, garbanzo flour works wonders as an egg substitute in egg-heavy cakes like brioche and sponge cake, I wonder if souffle could be possible…

Pupa October 5, 2010 - 20:56

So I made it and it tastes really good!
I made a few substitutions and that’s probably why mine tiramisu doesn’t look as well as yours. It didn’t firm up very well, but that’s probably because I used a little bit less of coconut oil (cause I ran out of it) and crystal sugar instead of powdered (and I didn’t add any starch cause I forgot).
I also used soy flour for the sponge cake, I think it worked fine, but I’ll probably try something less spongy next time cause I’d like the cake to be more on the dry sie (as the biscotti used in classic tiramisu). I’ll also try using agaragar instead of the coconut oil, so it doesn’t have a coconut flavour (even though it was very subtle).
I didn’t have amaretto so I used rum ;) and added a bit of lime juice to the filling.
Even with all those changes it tastes great and the filling is definitely a keeper, so thanks a lot for sharing the recipe :).

mihl October 6, 2010 - 10:36

Yep coconut oil, powdered sugar, and starch/flour make the filling firm up. Thanks for making the recipe.

mihl September 26, 2010 - 12:38

I think you can use it as a cake filling. At least I want to use it as a cake filling one day. I never cared much for those those made with soy cream or buttercream.

If it is not thick/firm enough, you can always add more nuts. I only have one brand of soy yoghurt available and that’s the Alpro/Provamel brand. I used plain Alpro for this recipe.

Pupa September 26, 2010 - 11:58

wow the filling looks amazing! must try it soon. Do you think it could be used as a filling for cakes? is it firm enough? I still didn’t came across a “white” filling that wouldn’t be either too greasy, too sweet or too soy-tasting…
Also what brand of soy youghurt do you use?
thx for your reply

Textual Bulldog August 25, 2010 - 07:46

Wow, this is like the most gorgeous and professional-looking dessert I have ever seen! You should have your own bakery. I never tried tiramisu before going vegan, so I don’t know what this tastes like, but it looks unbelievably delicious.

amandatrombley August 10, 2010 - 20:33

wowsers this looks AMAZING!! I haven’t had tiramisu in years..well, since I went vegan. I can’t wait to try this.

tofuparty August 9, 2010 - 17:44

A few days ago I had some very yummy vegan Tiramisu in London, but yours looks so fantastic delicious too.

vegetalienne August 9, 2010 - 10:19

That’s simply incredible. I have to try it.

I’d also like to thank you for your blog; so many vegan food blogs are based in the US, and many of their recipes rely on ingredients that can be hard to come by in the EU. I just moved to France, and am still getting my culinary bearings–I’m so excited to find a vegan tiramisu recipe that only requires ingredients that I can find near my apartment!

mihl August 9, 2010 - 11:10

Thank you! You are right about the ingredients. I don’t have access to most of them, too.

River - Wing-It Vegan August 8, 2010 - 01:15

It’s gorgeous! And I never would have guessed that until only a few years ago you didn’t have much baking experience, I thought you were born holding a mixing bowl in one hand and a whisk in the other! :)

Vic (the Life) August 7, 2010 - 18:21

Awesome! I have been looking for a Tiramisu recipe for a long time! This looks wonderful!

You have earned the Happy 101 award, stop by my page and claim it!

Cecilia August 7, 2010 - 14:46

This looks soo delicious. Look forward to trying this, haven’t had tiramisu in years!

Eric August 6, 2010 - 14:05

Hmm ive never had tiramisù but it looks quiet good :) And its hard to believe you didnt have much baking experience until not that long ago… your recipes seem so dialed!

Anni August 6, 2010 - 11:11

Wow this looks amazing Mihl, must try when the occasion calls for a fancy dessert! I have actually never tasted tiramisu in my life – I went vegan when I was 14 and probably hadn’t even heard about this dessert by then. I kind of like the idea of only knowing tiramisu as a vegan version, no baggage of unethical taste memories…

Crystal (That Vegan Blog) August 6, 2010 - 07:21

Mihl, this is so beautiful! I cannot wait to try it. I love that you didn’t use vegan cream cheese (not only is it ridiculously expensive, I also don’t care for the flavor) and that you used weight measurements!

Celine August 5, 2010 - 12:06

have I told you lately that ich liebe dich?

mihl August 5, 2010 - 12:22

Sure, since we’re married…

jrsimon56 August 5, 2010 - 07:21

Must, must, must do!!!! Looks like perfection.

Josiane August 4, 2010 - 23:07

Ooooh, tiramisù! Fabulous! I am *so* going to bake this for my gentleman friend’s birthday… that will make us both extremely happy! Thank you for cracking the code to the perfect vegan tiramisù, and for sharing it. :)

mihl August 5, 2010 - 08:53

Thank you! I’m not su sure about it’s perfection though.

jodye @ 'scend food August 4, 2010 - 22:49

This is a beautiful tiramisu! I have been wanting to make a vegan tiramisu for quite a while but just haven’t found the time. This recipe, though, just may be the one I use!

Sarah (GF vegan) August 4, 2010 - 21:09

Strangely enough, I’ve never even tried the usual non-vegan tiramisu so I wouldn’t have a clue how it “should” taste… apart from that it should have a coffee thing going on! Yours sounds delicious and is def one for the books :)

andrea devon August 4, 2010 - 20:10

oh this looks lovely. i too was working on a tiramisu recipe… but you beat me to it! i made some fruit tarts using coconut yogurt as a creamy base, but i like your version with the cashews and coconut oil- it looks amazing. good stuff!

andreadevon August 4, 2010 - 20:05

Kirsten August 4, 2010 - 19:40

I haven’t eaten Tiramisu in YEARS! Probably a decade :P This looks so yummy!

veganhomemade August 4, 2010 - 18:27

Wow, it looks AMAZING! Congrats on your tiramisu success!

Iris August 4, 2010 - 12:52

This looks really tasty. I espacially like the idea for the filling – sounds much better than all the variations with silken tofu.
For a kind of sponge cake I use the basic cupcake recipe of ‘vegan cupcakes take over the world’. But i will give yours a try.
If you you just put another parchment paper on top of the batter, it won’t burn and have a more even surface.
Thanks for the recipe!

neonflamingosandwhitepeacocks August 4, 2010 - 08:25

Oh wow, this looks decadent! My oh my, congratulations on making an egg free bisquit batter – you´re a true cooking scientist :)

Have a beautiful day, hope the weather is nice in our beautiful Barockstadt :)
xoxo Melissa

Susan August 4, 2010 - 04:10

Looks delicious! I have a few vegan tiramisu recipes I’ve been meaning to try, this one will be on the list!

Carla August 4, 2010 - 01:34

how WEIRD!!! I made tiramisu this weekend too! yours looks BEAUTIFUL!!

Sünne August 3, 2010 - 23:57

Oh my! Tiramisu certainly wasn’t my favourite non-vegan dessert but this version might change things …
Do you think I could sub cashew butter for the raw cashews? I haven’t got a food processor and my hand blender isn’t strong enough.

Also, I’m really excited to see how this biscuit comes out (and I even happen to have chickpea flour on hand!) as so many recipes I’ve tried were disappointing.

Mihl, you’re a genius!

mihl August 4, 2010 - 17:37

Of course you can use cashew butter. By the way, I realized that there’s a typo in the recipe. It should be 200 g of cashews.

Andrea August 3, 2010 - 23:26

I’ve never had tiramisu — but the original version can’t be more delicious than your vegan version looks. When will you put your amazing recipes into a baking book?

sara August 3, 2010 - 21:38

that looks amazing! i’ve often wondered about making a vegan tiramisu, but too lazy to give it a try. thanks for the recipe, i will be making it soon!

JennShaggy August 3, 2010 - 21:20

Thanks, Mihl! You’ve gotta try it some time. It’s delicious.

Damn that tiramisu looks fantastic. That’s one recipe I’ll be trying very soon.

Tami (Vegan Appetite) August 3, 2010 - 20:20

You always impress me, but right now my jaw is on the floor. Wow.

Sarah August 3, 2010 - 19:19

It is the many failures that make the successes so satisfying, don’t you think? I have never had vegan tiramisu, but yours sounds like a delight, and fairly easy to make too! Thanks for this one, Mihl.

Bonnie August 3, 2010 - 19:06

Aaaah! I’m jealous. I adore tiramisù but I’m usually too lazy to make it… Your version looks heavenly!

Jeni Treehugger August 3, 2010 - 19:05

Holy Schmoly Mihl! That looks freaking AWESOME!! Tiramisu was one of my pre vegan faves, so happy to see a vegan version that gets the Mihl thumbs up. :)

Jes August 3, 2010 - 19:03

What a beautiful tiramisu! And I love that it’s made with cashews–much better than the processed soy stuff we can find here at the store!

Tiffany August 3, 2010 - 18:19

Ooooh I’m a big fan of tiramisu, and this looks pretty fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

jenny August 3, 2010 - 18:08

amazing!!! I have missed tiramisu for so long, thanks for sharing! It looks delicious.

Morgan August 3, 2010 - 16:38

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! This looks to die for! Awesome picture!

Keri - I Eat Trees August 3, 2010 - 16:31

Wow- that looks amazing! I looove vegan tiramisu, but I’ve never made it myself. Thank you- I’ll have to try!

Comments are closed.