Home vegan First pumpkin soup of the season

First pumpkin soup of the season

by Mihl

It’s been rather chilly for the last couple of days. This was probably a sign to start making soup again. Since pumpkins and squashes are in season right now, what is better than a bright orange, creamy pumpkin soup?

For this soup, I used a small red kuri squash, also called hokkaido squash, which is a very popular squash in Germany. (We actually call it pumpkin.) It has a great size and since its skin is edible, it is very easy to handle.

I had a leftover fennel, which I used instead of an onion and for extra protein, I threw in some beans. This soup is warming and filling, freezes well and can be made a day in advance, to increase the flavour. I made a huge pot and enjoyed it for the last few days.

Squash or pumpkin soup with two kinds of beans (4 servings)

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 fresh Thai chilies, minced (or to taste)
180 g (1 small) fennel, cubed
750 g red kuri squash (1 small) or pumpkin, cubed
1000 ml (4 cups) vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon paprika powder
2 tablespoons vegan dried tomato pesto
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1/8 teaspoon saffron threads

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
salt to taste

In a large pot, heat oil. Add garlic, chilies, and fennel. Fry for five minutes. Add cubed squash, vegetable broth, curry powder, paprika powder, pesto, smoked paprika, peanut butter, and saffron. Cook over medium heat until fennel and squash pieces are soft, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, purée (an immersion blender works best here) and stir in remaining ingredients, season with salt. Reheat and serve immediately.

16 comments

You may also like

16 comments

Eric October 21, 2010 - 18:02

That looks so good, I love pumpkin soup and can’t wait to make my own soon :)

Sharon October 4, 2010 - 15:09

I made this this weekend. I didn’t have tomato pesto so I used a tablespoon of tomato paste. It was delicious!

mihl October 5, 2010 - 12:41

Awesome!

The Voracious Vegan September 26, 2010 - 14:13

BEAUTIFUL! Those pictures are seriously stunning, and I bet the flavor of this soup is just spectacular. Of course, it is still well over 100F every day here, but I’m still ready to start celebrating the start of autumn!

Ksenia September 26, 2010 - 08:58

I never had the luck of finding a pumpkin with an edible skin, so I think I never tried a hokkaido squash (unfortunately: removing the skin is the only reason why I don’t buy pumpkin very often).
But I have just bought one (not a hokkaido squash though) because as you said they are in season, the weather is beginning to be chiller (although it’s still warm here: around 22-23ºC) and they are perfect for soups :D I’ll tell how it turned out if I try the recipe :)

mihl September 26, 2010 - 09:12

Yeah, skinning them is a real pain.

Ha, we’re already down to 9°C. It’s been a wonderfully sunny and warm week before the temperatures dropped though.

I hope you’ll like the soup.

jrsimon56 September 24, 2010 - 19:41

Good lookin’ soup recipe! I’ll have to try it when it finally cools off here. But, alas, still in the 90s F.

Textual Bulldog September 23, 2010 - 23:17

This soup sounds so incredible – I’m going to check out the squash availability at the Farmer’s Market Saturday and see what I can do about it! Thanks for the lovely recipe. :)

Seglare September 23, 2010 - 13:54

I’m not a fan of fennel, but otherwise, the soup looks perfect! :) Hokkaido is perhaps my favorite type of squash, thanks to the relatively soft and edible skin. Our (well, my parents’ ;)) own Hokkaidos are finally starting to be ready to harvest as well, so there will be use for many, many Hokkaido recipes in the coming months (my favorite way to prepare it is to roast it in the oven, sprinkled with some gomashio; but even that gets old when you eat it for weeks on end…). :)

Mo September 23, 2010 - 05:24

That looks so comfort foody! I’m so glad it’s pumpkin season!

Kelly (Vegan Thyme) September 23, 2010 - 03:00

Hi Mihl! This recipe looks like something I should make asap–whenever our temps get down below eighty, I will keep this one on my fave tabs! So jealous of your “cooler” temps right now. . . LOVE the soup! Love the fennel in it–great idea!

Monica September 22, 2010 - 06:52

Fennel? Pumpkin? Peanut butter? How can this soup not be good? Think it would work with butternut squash?

Melisser September 22, 2010 - 02:21

KURBIS! I need to make soup.

Andrea September 22, 2010 - 00:46

I see the hokaiddo pumpkins at the farmers market but they, and the kabocha, are so expensive I hardly ever buy one, usually opting for butternut, buttercup or delicata. I love the spicy additions in your soup, and feel inspired to make some soon. Perhaps I’ll splurge on a small hokaiddo. (No fennel, though, for me!)

Laura September 21, 2010 - 22:21

Nevermind, I just checked the German version of the recipe.. stupid me.

Laura September 21, 2010 - 22:16

Where did you get the smoked paprika in Germany? Normally, when a recipe calls for it, I just use regular paprika powder because I’ve never seen the smoked type in stores..

Comments are closed.