Home vegan Vienna, Part Two & Bonus Squirrel!

Vienna, Part Two & Bonus Squirrel!

by Mihl

We saw this squirrel in the Park at Schönbrunn castle.

While we did eat out a couple of times, we were also able to prepare or own meals. We had fresh fruit around and for breakfast, we would buy some fresh rolls and some spreads. The grocery stores in Vienna carry soy milk and yoghurt, tofu, lots of spreads and sometimes even vegan ice cream! Sorry about the huge amount of crappy pictures. We had lots of rain and the lodging didn’t have the best light conditions.

All these spreads were quite different. One was tofu based, another one smoked spelt based and a third one made with kidney beans.

As you can see, some of the items are clearly marked as vegan.

There’s a small 100% vegan store in Vienna, called Formosa Vegetarian Food. They sell mock meats, cheese, chocolate, snacks, baked goods and they also have a small restaurant. We bought a package of No-Much cheese, which by the way is the best vegan cheese I have ever had. And believe me, I am picky when it comes to that. Thanks to Eight and Inceptisol for recommending this cheese to me after we had talked about the topic. I don’t care much for cheese that melts, but I sometimes do miss plain rolls topped with cheese. There, I found my substitute.

Formosa has some pretty interesting mock meats, too. Look at this, it’s half a vegan chicken:

Vienna is famous for its cakes and pastries. Fortunately we got to try some of it. Bernds Welt offers a variety of vegan baked goods, which are sold at Formosa, but also at some grocery stores. We chose this Danish filled with soy pudding:

You can also find some pretty great baked goods on the Naschmarkt, a huge market in the centre of the city. Look for the Bäckerei Waldherr booth.

“Baked goods for vegans. Ingredients: agave syrup instead of honey, margarine instead of butter, no eggs, no milk. Every item made from whole flour and organic ingredients.”

It wasn’t easy to choose an item, but since I had heard and read so many rave reviews about the whole spelt flour croissant with raspberry jam, that was what I bought.

It was delicious and it was huge! I didn’t manage to eat this all at once. If you already are at the Naschmarkt, you should also look for a the Schoko Company booth, where they sells Zotter chocolate. Zotter is an Austrian company and their chocolates are bean-to-bar, organic, and fair trade. They have a variety of vegan chocolates. You can get dark ones up to 100 %, but also those made with soy milk. We bought a large soy milk bar and my favourite, the Labooko soy chocolate and matcha bars.

The chocolate on the left is a bar of EZA fair trade chocolate we found at a Spar supermarket. It’s my favourite rice milk bar so far as it comes with a wonderful caramel flavour.

You probably are in a sugar coma by now, but there is more. The best part! Ice cream. Eight had recommended two places: Eis Greissler and Eissalon am Schwedenplatz. Both have a selection of vegan ice cream. We went to Eis Greissler first and hands down, this was the best vegan ice cream I’ve ever had.

The vegan ice cream is clearly marked, they had some sorbets but also pistachio, coconut, and chocolate ice cream. Since they were out of coconut the first time we went, we had to come back for a second time. You know, for research and review purposes. I had to take pistachio twice, because that used to be my favourite ice cream flavour before I went vegan.

The ice cream available at the Schwedenplatz is also sold at the Billa supermarket chain, two flavours in one container:

This time we had almond and, yes, pistachio again.

This ice cream was also good, but not as good as the one we got at Greissler. I think they used some kind of flavoured liquor that was masking both the almond and the pistachio flavour.

22 comments

You may also like

22 comments

Jessica August 24, 2011 - 01:20

Is that a leg on the chicken? I agree – so creepy!

All these desserts look great. That is what vacation is all about – treating yourself! I’m glad you had some help finding all the best stuff, it makes a difference, doesn’t it?

kala August 23, 2011 - 19:22

Yum, everything looks amazing, especially the ice cream!

Susan August 23, 2011 - 05:15

What a fabulous holiday! I went to Vienna once many years ago as a vegetarian, but I would love to go back as a vegan! That croissant and danish look amazing.
Also…. SQUIRREL! I want to be your friend, squirrel!

peasoupeats August 23, 2011 - 00:52

Vegan pistachio ice-cream? O.M.G. That is all.

Allysia August 22, 2011 - 22:24

Wow, I never would have guessed Vienna is where it’s at for vegan treats! That mock chicken looks eerily real. I really miss getting ice cream scoops – definitely going to be getting in on that in Portland this week!

Luciana August 22, 2011 - 15:28

That all looks amazing. I wish I could get back to Europe.

We have that half-chicken thing here, too. The skin is yuba. I think it would be less weird if it was just a square or something. The chicken shape is really disconcerting!

the [sugar] apothecary August 21, 2011 - 02:08

I am positively DROOLING over these pictures! That pistachio ice cream looks SO unbelievably delicious, I definitely don’t blame you for going for second round. And that croissant has to be one of the most coveted vegan treats on earth! It looks amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

phoenix August 20, 2011 - 17:19

Ooooh, the ice cream! I’m pretty jealous, because Billa outside out Vienna doesn’t seem to carry the soy ice cream, and I miss pistachio sooo much.

C August 19, 2011 - 17:15

I’m glad that you enjoyed Vienna. It’s one of my favorite cities (yes, as native Austrian I’m biased, but still), and it’s also insanely vegan-friendly. I really enjoy Rupp’s Bar there.

Tiffany August 19, 2011 - 01:45

Looks like you had a fantastic time in Vienna. I’m glad you were able to find so many vegan goodies! Isn’t the Naschmarkt amazing?

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan August 19, 2011 - 00:33

So much vegan goodness! That cheese looks amazing…it actually looks like dairy cheese from the picture. It looks like you are having a gastronomically good time! hee hee hee. I’ve had a non-dairy pistachio gelato one time that was absolutely fabulous!!!

veganhomemade August 18, 2011 - 21:56

The croissant and ice cream look to-die-for, but that veggie chicken is just gross!

Sarah S. August 18, 2011 - 20:20

Eew, that vegan chicken is a bit much! I’ve never seen anything like that, simulating the bumps in the skin where the feathers used to be. Yuck! That croissant on the other hand, wow!

Emma August 18, 2011 - 19:27

Wow didn’t realize Vienna was so vegan friendly! Awesome. Your pistachio ice cream is calling my name….and cute little brown squirrel :)

Jes August 18, 2011 - 17:51

That vegan chicken is ridiculous! I can’t decide if I like the realistic skin or not… And I can’t believe you found a vegan croissant–definitely amazing!

mihl August 18, 2011 - 18:11

I know! I think the skin is creepy.

Amanda Trombley (@squirrellymama) August 18, 2011 - 17:42

You had me with the squirrel..hehe. But the rest of your post was such a treat to read. I’ve never heard of that cheeze before! Is it Austrian only or do you think you can buy it in Germany? So glad that you had such a nice break!

mihl August 18, 2011 - 18:10

The cheese is Swiss (of course, he), but it’s available online over here, too. I already ordered a new package. It’s also available in a couple of stores in Berlin.

alualuna August 18, 2011 - 17:41

Totally digging all your recommendations… especially because I’ll get to try them all out since my sister lives in Vienna.

Love Zotter chocolate (especially the soy-matcha one) and always stock up on it when I’m on a home visit. Their sesame-matcha drinking chocolate is fabulous too. During certain times of the year you can even tour the Zotter chocolate factory (in Styria) – it’s on my list of things to do…

mihl August 18, 2011 - 18:12

That’s awesome! I heard about the Zotter chocolate factory tour. I think they are a great company.

Christina @ http://greytveganlife.wordpress.com/ August 18, 2011 - 17:34

Wow, sugar coma indeed! I am especially intrigued with the cheese and the danishes. I think Vienna is climbing higher on my bucket list! P.S. Who doesn’t love a squirrel?!

tahinitoo August 18, 2011 - 17:26

Wow! I want to try all of the food delights you enjoyed in Vienna. Your croissant looks especially delicious (and yes, HUGE!). Any pastry dipped in chocolate gets my approval.

Comments are closed.