Home vegan Date and Coconut Muffins

Date and Coconut Muffins

by Mihl

Muffins are still my favourite snack. They are so versatile. You can put almost everything into them and they can be breakfast or dessert. It’s not too difficult to come up with a muffin recipe, they are much more forgiving that a cake or a bread.

I usually bake muffins whenever I have to travel. If you are in a hurry or in an unknown environment, you never know if you will be able to grab some food. Muffins travel well and they fit into every bag or suitcase.

Usually I know exactly when my trip starts and when I have to bake or defrost my muffins. This time not so much. Even though I have all these handy lists which tell me what to take with me when I go into labour, I am still imagening myself running down the stairs with an open, half empty suitcase and in my pyjamas. I know that in the end all of this won’t matter. You cannot prepare for a birth. But you can have muffins.

These are more breakfast muffins than dessert muffins, hearty and down to earth. If you feel like 1/4 cup of coconut is not enough, use half soy milk and half coconut milk instead of only soy milk.

Date and Coconut Muffins (makes 12)

270 g ( 2 1/4 cups) whole wheat flour
30 g (1/4 cup) barley malt flour *
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch salt
20 g (1/4 cup) dried, shredded coconut
90 ml (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) oil
300 ml ( 1 1/4 cups) soy milk
120 g (2/3 cup) chopped dates

*Optional, substitute the same amount of whole wheat flour, if you don’t have barley malt flour on hand.

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners or grease the tin well. In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and coconut. Mix in oil and milk. Combine well. Fold in dates. The batter will be very stiff. Divide batter among the muffin tins and bake for 23 minutes or until golden brown.

16 comments

You may also like

16 comments

Susan September 25, 2011 - 05:09

I love the way the muffins look, with the little bow around it too!

Maggie Muggins September 24, 2011 - 00:47

I have to agree, whenever I’m planning on going anywhere the food situation is uncertain I always have muffins and granola bars.
Mmm, i love the combination of coconut and dates.
I guess the countdown is on now Mihl, how far along are you?

Danielle P. September 23, 2011 - 22:43

I made these for tea today. Delicious! I’ll definitely be making them again!

Mihl September 24, 2011 - 10:50

Glad you liked them! Thanks for trying the recipe.

Danielle P. September 24, 2011 - 15:54

I had to freeze some to keep myself from eating the whole batch! :-)

life is just this September 23, 2011 - 19:35

ich finde es nur sinnvoll, sich für die krankenhauszeit schon mal vorzubereiten. und das muffins nicht nur recht schnell gemacht, sondern auch flott weg gefuttert sind, macht es umso besser – so kann man wieder neue ausprobieren.
machst du denn auch herzhafte muffins oder sind die bei dir eher süß?

ot:
bekommst du im krankenhaus eigentlich vegane kost? oder versorgt dich/ euch papa dann?

Mihl September 23, 2011 - 19:56

Eigentlich immer süß. Herzhaft wäre mal eine Idee.
Im Krankenhaus gibts Buffet. Ich hoffe mal, da ist was dabei.

t September 23, 2011 - 10:27

Well its best to be prepared, especially with muffins like that! This week, 3 people I know went into labour on the same day! You must be getting so excited…

Andrea September 23, 2011 - 03:48

I love the way the muffins look — the perfect antidote to a cold, grey morning. And the ingredient list sounds delicious. My father used to add barley malt flour to pizza dough when he owned an Italian restaurant, but I’ve never been able to find it.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan September 22, 2011 - 21:33

I also bake muffins when I travel – and these look especially promising!

Tiffany September 22, 2011 - 18:38

So true. Vegan muffins to the rescue! :)

The muffins look wonderful. They sound perfectly sweet and hearty.

Vic (The Life) September 22, 2011 - 18:31

Date and coconut! great combo

Bianca- Vegan Crunk September 22, 2011 - 18:26

I love it: “You cannot prepare for a birth. But you can have muffins.”

Muffins are the answer to everything!

Hannah September 22, 2011 - 16:31

Beautiful presentation and photo! They look so bright and cheerful, I just want to snatch that one front and center. Sounds lovely, dates are always a sweet treat. :)

kirsten September 22, 2011 - 16:13

I have never used barley flour before? Why do you use it?
The picture you took is beautiful.
“muffins travel well” BWAHHAHAHA, your hilarious.

Mihl September 22, 2011 - 16:21

Thank you! Barley malt flour is a little bit different from barley flour. It is often used for bread baking, to enhance enzyme activity and to make the baked good brown better. I used it here simply because I had to use it up. It adds a hint of malt flavour, but not very much.

Comments are closed.