Home vegan Roasted Asparagus with Pumpkin Seed Oil

Roasted Asparagus with Pumpkin Seed Oil

by Mihl

Styrian pumpkin seed oil is my favourite oil. Ever. I know this sounds totally crazy but I could eat it by the spoonful. I love the dark green-brown colour and the amazing smell. It smells like salted, roasted nuts. And it tastes the same way. And even though it has this strong and distinctive flavour, it is very versatile. You can use it drizzled over ice cream or a salad. When we were in Austria last year, we tried a bowl of vanilla ice cream with candied sunflower seeds and pumpkin seed oil and it was really, really good. I still need to recreate this dessert.

But of course there are lots of great savoury uses for this oil, too. If you want a simple and flavourful marinade or salad dressing, pumpkin seed oil is a fantastic choice because it adds so much aroma all by itself. So it’s great for people like me, who usually suck at making marinades and dressings.

For this asparagus dish, we just sprayed the asparagus with some olive oil and sprinkled some salt on top. We roasted it at 250°C for 15 minutes. Then we drizzled the marinade over the warm asparagus spears.

The asparagus was served with two sides from two of my favourite cookbooks: The Spicy Chickpeas from Hearty Vegan Meals by Celine Steen/Joni Marie Newman and the Cumin Lime Tofu from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan by Dreena Burton.

Roasted Asparagus with Pumpkin Seed Oil Vinaigrette

500 g green or white asparagus
olive oil for spraying or brushing
salt

Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons cold pressed Styrian pumpkin seed oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon lemon juice
hot sauce and salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 250°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash the asparagus spears and trim the ends. Place on the baking sheet and spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 15 minutes or until the asparagus tips start tow brown.

Meanwhile combine all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a bowl and whisk together. Remove asparagus from the oven and drizzle the marinade on top. Leftover marinade can be used for the tofu. Just drizzle it on top for serving.

11 comments

You may also like

11 comments

Herb Lime Bread-Dumplings (Knödel) | seitan is my motor May 6, 2013 - 08:22

[…] version substitute fresh parsley for the herbs and leave out the lime zest. We served them with roasted asparagus with pumpkin seed vinaigrette and gomba […]

Jes June 21, 2012 - 17:35

Pumpkin seed oil sounds intriguing! I’ll have to see if our oil shop carries any here. Love the simplicity of it with the asparagus.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan June 18, 2012 - 22:58

I’ve never tried pumpkin oil – but I love the idea of a savory, sweet vinaigrette. Considering it is your favorite oil – I’ll definitely have to pick some up!

celine June 16, 2012 - 11:05

I’m totally crushing on your photos, dudette. The first one in particular is especially outstanding. And now I want asparagi. Is that even the plural? If not, we’ll pretend it is.

Mihl June 16, 2012 - 14:11

Aw, thank you! <3

alua June 15, 2012 - 07:13

Goody! I have asparagus (fresh from the Farmers’ Market yesterday) and I have pumpkin seed oil (2 bottles actually, from the last care package my mom sent)!

Great to see this love you have for pumpkin seed oil. :-)

The whole platter of asparagus + chickpeas + tofu looks amazing by the way.

Christina June 14, 2012 - 22:35

Ihgitt, Spargel. Hoffentlich ist die Zeit bald wieder vorbei :P
Aber der Rest sieht toll aus. Vor allem die Kichererbsen <3

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 14, 2012 - 21:30

oooh pumpkin seed oil! how interesting! i’ll definitely have to give this a try! thanks for sharing!

Andrea June 14, 2012 - 21:15

I had to Google styrian pumpkin seed oil because I was so intrigued. I see it comes from Austria which makes it fairly pricy to obtain here in the U.S., but I’ll keep my eyes open next time I’m in a specialty store. I’ll be near a Vomm Fass next month and hopefully they’ll have some I can sample. The asparagus loos great — roasting is my favorite way to cook it.

Mihl June 14, 2012 - 21:32

Yes, it’s my favourite way to cook it, too!

Greg June 15, 2012 - 16:36

I found a domestic pumpkin seed oil that great – google Stony Brook Pumpkin Seed Oil.

Comments are closed.